The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
What a spirited defence. I feel like you are here already. Excellent.

*wipes tear from eye* Epitome, I feel so honoured! But yes, I'm sure my horrific poetry could have done the trick, but its not to be wasted on mathematicians! I said essays rule in a fit of spirited defence, usually I'm not so keen. My time management skills are also appalling; I have been know to stay up till 3AM finishing an essay due the next day! Then again, that may be due to the fact that I lack any willpower or motivation! Hmmm I hope this appears before October....
Reply 101
Opsi
Yes'm

Good man. Have a biscuit.

Lidka
Urgh... essays... Suddenly going back to Cam doesn't look that appealing any more.

You love it really!
I'm rejoicing in the fact that I *definitely* have fewer to write this term. Which is a good thing, because they were beginning to tturn me into a grouch monster! You'll be fine. The Newnhamites will make sure of that. :smile:
Reply 102
mavoury
I have been know to stay up till 3AM finishing an essay due the next day!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
None of that, woman.
3am is either the time to be asleep, or the time to be making toast and reading a good book. Nothing else.
epitome
Good man. Have a biscuit.

You love it really!
I'm rejoicing in the fact that I *definitely* have fewer to write this term. Which is a good thing, because they were beginning to tturn me into a grouch monster! You'll be fine. The Newnhamites will make sure of that. :smile:

And a filth monster :eek:
Reply 104
Opsi
And a filth monster

I can blame my degree for a lot of things (mostly good, if sometimes unfortunately covered in custard), but probably not the filth. Though it does come in handy. :p:
Please do a post-grad thesis on filth :frown: otherwise you'll go boring :p:
Reply 106
epitome
You love it really!

I do? :s-smilie: I do. :p: Yeah, you, Alashiya and Maartje can take turns peeling me off the walls...

And 3AM essays are not a good idea. I've never written past 1AM... I'd like to keep it that way!
Reply 107
Opsi
Please do a post-grad thesis on filth. otherwise you'll go boring

I will bear this in mind, Opsi, when I come to write my proposal (haha). Might have a problem convincing the Faculty and/or the AHRC that 'Medieval/Renaissance Filth' is in some way a crucial and relevant topic in the field of English Studies...but then if Prof. D. T can write "Cooking With Mud: The Idea of Mess in C19th Art and Fiction" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Mud-Idea-Nineteenth-century-Fiction/dp/0198185030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200007038&sr=8-1), perhaps it's not such a stretch of the imagination.

It would be more than slightly silly if I do end up writing an essay of some sort on this. But I would not find it particularly surprising... :wink: :p:

Lidka
And 3AM essays are not a good idea. I've never written past 1AM... I'd like to keep it that way!

Quite! Hate working past midnight. And if it comes to a choice between being ridiculous and staying up into the wee hours working (against my will), or going to sleep and leaving an essay incomplete, it'll almost always be the latter. Health > Essays. (Admittedly, Time Management = Health [to an extent], but we can only go one step at a time!). :wink:
Reply 108
epitome
Quite! Hate working past midnight. And if it comes to a choice between being ridiculous and staying up into the wee hours working (against my will), or going to sleep and leaving an essay incomplete, it'll almost always be the latter. Health > Essays. (Admittedly, Time Management = Health [to an extent], but we can only go one step at a time!). :wink:

Health is definitely more important than essays. But even if I didn't like my sleep, I still wouldn't write that late (unless it were a topic/author I really loathed) because it just wouldn't be doing justice to the work I do, or show a lot of respect for my supervisor. I know it's really common for students to write late, but if that's the way someone's always going to work, then I don't really see the point - why not just quit and do something you're more committed to? /small rant

I'm back tomorrow!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I have missed the libraries so much. :cry:
Reply 109
Lidka
Health is definitely more important than essays. But even if I didn't like my sleep, I still wouldn't write that late (unless it were a topic/author I really loathed) because it just wouldn't be doing justice to the work I do, or show a lot of respect for my supervisor. I know it's really common for students to write late, but if that's the way someone's always going to work, then I don't really see the point - why not just quit and do something you're more committed to? /small rant

Woah, hang on a minute, Small But Fierce (don't rearrage that to say "Small Fierce Butt" -- it doesn't have quite the intended effect): That's just a bit of a hasty and unfair judgement! Some people produce perfectly good work in the small hours, particularly (though not exclusively) if they get up late enough for that to be their equivalent of early evening. Friend & I managed to get to the stage where I was getting up approximately when she was going to bed (about 5am). Her work could have been better by spending *longer* on it, but probably not by doing it when the sun was shining. That's just her way. And many people find that essays written under the pressure of deadlines are actually better than those started well in advance. Furthermore, lack of time management (in terms of working, say, 'office hours') does not directly translate to lack of committment or enthusiasm for the subject -- it's just a different attitude and way of working.

(That's coming from someone with time management imposed upon them, rather than having it as a natural skill, by the way -- but by keeping myself busy extra-curricularly, that keeps the degree happily in check, 'cause I have to work whenever I can. Sorted. Ahem).

So, less of the unreasonable rant. Pah. :p: :biggrin:
Reply 110
epitome
Woah, hang on a minute, Small But Fierce (don't rearrage that to say "Small Fierce Butt" -- it doesn't have quite the intended effect): That's just a bit of a hasty and unfair judgement! Some people produce perfectly good work in the small hours, particularly (though not exclusively) if they get up late enough for that to be their equivalent of early evening. Friend & I managed to get to the stage where I was getting up approximately when she was going to bed (about 5am). Her work could have been better by spending *longer* on it, but probably not by doing it when the sun was shining. That's just her way. And many people find that essays written under the pressure of deadlines are actually better than those started well in advance. Furthermore, lack of time management (in terms of working, say, 'office hours') does not directly translate to lack of committment or enthusiasm for the subject -- it's just a different attitude and way of working.

(That's coming from someone with time management imposed upon them, rather than having it as a natural skill, by the way -- but by keeping myself busy extra-curricularly, that keeps the degree happily in check, 'cause I have to work whenever I can. Sorted. Ahem).

So, less of the unreasonable rant. Pah. :p: :biggrin:

LOL @ Small Fierce Butt! :biggrin:

It's not those who have that as their normal routine that worry me. My supervision partner's like that and she's doing fine. It's those who are surprised every single time that OMG! They left it this late! And OMG! They don't understand the question! And OMG! They didn't think to ask their supervisor for help or an extension! :eek: Because that's not taking control of your education, which at this stage is kinda silly... IMHO. :biggrin:
Reply 111
Lidka
It's those who are surprised every single time that OMG! They left it this late! And OMG! They don't understand the question! And OMG! They didn't think to ask their supervisor for help or an extension!

*grins* Stressed, much? :p:

Chill.

(And yes, you can hit me for saying that).
Reply 112
Woah, hang on a minute, Small But Fierce (don't rearrage that to say "Small Fierce Butt" -- it doesn't have quite the intended effect): That's just a bit of a hasty and unfair judgement! Some people produce perfectly good work in the small hours, particularly (though not exclusively) if they get up late enough for that to be their equivalent of early evening. Friend & I managed to get to the stage where I was getting up approximately when she was going to bed (about 5am). Her work could have been better by spending *longer* on it, but probably not by doing it when the sun was shining. That's just her way. And many people find that essays written under the pressure of deadlines are actually better than those started well in advance. Furthermore, lack of time management (in terms of working, say, 'office hours') does not directly translate to lack of committment or enthusiasm for the subject -- it's just a different attitude and way of working

Woah didn't realise my work routine would cause such a debate! This 3am was the exception, but I actually work well under pressure: I got a 90% on this particular essay. At the moment I leave all my essays to a couple of days before they're due, mostly because I do 8 other subjects which demand time as well. I think when I can commit myself fully to English, and fill up my time extra-curriculars like Epitome, my routine will probably become more comfortable and healthy. On essays written this late before the deadline, I average a 90-95% mark tho. If I know I have a deadline very soon, my body starts running on adreniline....
Reply 113
epitome
*grins* Stressed, much? :p:

Chill.

(And yes, you can hit me for saying that).

Stressed? Nah, I'm the one sitting there with my finished essay. :p: (Most of the time...)

I guess I spent so long in schools where barely anyone took work seriously that I now am hyper-sensitive to it. :redface: :p:
Reply 114
mavoury
Woah didn't realise my work routine would cause such a debate! This 3am was the exception, but I actually work well under pressure: I got a 90% on this particular essay. At the moment I leave all my essays to a couple of days before they're due, mostly because I do 8 other subjects which demand time as well. I think when I can commit myself fully to English, and fill up my time extra-curriculars like Epitome, my routine will probably become more comfortable and healthy. On essays written this late before the deadline, I average a 90-95% mark tho. If I know I have a deadline very soon, my body starts running on adreniline....

Don't worry, mavoury -- we won't be beating each other up about it! :wink:
Essays just need to get written, doesn't matter too much how -- it just makes sense to advocate Normal Hours, for health and sanity reasons! (I just typed "sanitary"...hmm).
Everyone works totally differently (thank goodness, or we'd all be clones).

Though there does seem to be a culture of 'essay crisis' in arts subjects, which seems pointless and unnecessary. It's not necessary to stay up all night to write an acceptable essay...but there's something about the attitude which implies it is. Rubbish and tosh! :p: :wink:
Reply 115
Lidka
I'm the one sitting there with my finished essay.

I hate calm, collected 1st years.
And you can tell Alashiya that too. :p:

If you're going to be so smug, you can do some of mine. Sure you can fit it in. .
Reply 116
epitome
I hate calm, collected 1st years.
And you can tell Alashiya that too. :p:

If you're going to be so smug, you can do some of mine. Sure you can fit it in.

Ha, I bet Alashiya does calm and collected really well. Though I actually got mistaken for an MPhil student at the beginning of last term, so I must be doing something right! (Or wrong - I suppose it depends how you look at it!).

I'm alright without your essays, thanks! Any essay-free time is Greek time. :afraid:

Re: staying up all night to do the Arts essay, I suppose it makes a kind of sense - theoretically the longer one leaves writing the essay, the more time one has to do reading for it. Not sure it works like that in real life, though...
Reply 117
Lidka
Ha, I bet Alashiya does calm and collected really well.

Yes, she does. It's quite, quite horrible to behold. :wink:
Reply 118
epitome
Yes, she does. It's quite, quite horrible to behold. :wink:

Word.
Reply 119
Semicolon
Word.

I assume that's Belgish for "Yes". :p: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending