The Student Room Group

Clueless in what to take at college..

Hey guys.

I've decided that I want to try and get into a career involving graphics design. But I'm clueless of what I need to take for college to get a BTECH or A level. The college I've looked at so far offers a graphics design course , which I've looked at and thought, that's what I want to do! But I'm not to keen on the whole 6 hour days pen and paper stuff. I'm much more happier (and productive) when I can do something thats just there. I was on the special needs thing for me english when I was in primary school, but have picked it up since and predicted B's and C's in my GCSE's. I don't mind doing pen and paper subjects like maths english if I really have to. I quite enjoy doing science though.

But the thing is, is that the only thing I need to take? I'm thinking about doing a BTECH in it, and I still don't have a clue if I want to go to university or not. I'm abit worried about only taking that in college, trying to get a job or getting into uni and them saying.. "You need this.." and making a big long list of things I could have taken.

I've been using PS since I was 12, so I've got plenty of experience. I've never really materialized a porfolio though, something I'm looking to do this year.

Any advice would be appreciated, as my school has offered near enought no support about what I should be doing except for the leaflets they gave me about when the open evenings are.

Thanks.
why don't you try contacting some people in the business and ask them what they needed to get where they are? maybe contact some employers to see what kind of thing they look for?
one more thought....see if there are any internships near you that you could do for a year (or even a few weeks in the summer). that will give you a really good idea of the type of work you'd be doing. you'll be able to find out if it's really for you, and if it is then it will be an invaluable experience and look great on a CV
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice mate. I never thought about it but there's someone right under my nose that I could ask.

If it all falls through then I'd most likely look at getting an apprenticeship at a local garage/dealership in mechanics. It's the classic teenage chav thing to do, I know. But I did my work experience in a Land Rover dealership working with a technician (posh name for a mechanic really).

That was my original plan, until I did my work experience. Even though I enjoyed it, I think the fact that it was always a push to sell so many hours. My dad being everyone I was arounds boss, I knew what both sides of the situation was. The fact with that kind of work is that, I woke up at 6.30 in the morning. I get to work at 7.20 and then it's pritty much work (with 15 min morning and afternoon break, and 30 mins lunch) till nearly 6 at night. By the time I'd gotta home, it was nearly 6.30-7. I don't have a problem with working, I really enjoyed doing something with cars. It's just the fact that when I get older to my 30's/40's if I have the choice I'd rather not be doing that, as it takes it's toll on your body. I'd probably have the opportunity to head into the office side of things at that stage.

Money isn't all that matters to me, but it's also a key to where I want to get in later life. A decent mechanic at where I was working gets around 20-22k a year. Head tech (which is only 1 guy out of 14) gets nearly 30k a year. Yeah it's good, but I feel I could probably get more for hell of alot less stress if I went into graphics design.
Reply 3
dr*gs

:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending