The Student Room Group

Travelling and cash

Hey

There is a possibility i will travel with a friend later this year, most likely september until the following educational year start.

What i was wondering was, if we just did the travelling thing, backpacking and living it run of the mill style, how much is it likely to cost?
I'm purely interested in the travelling factor, and expensive activities don't come on my radar at all, say diving or the like.

Thanks for any replys.
Reply 1
Err yes it depends on region lol. Poor SEA countries you can easilly get by on 10GBP per day (low budget) (Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & the likes). India is easy on 10 GBP aswell, you could survive on less. China I BELIEVE (atleast this is my budget for when I go there.. but I wont know till I get there) you can survive on 10-15GBP per day. Hong kong is a lot more expensive, your looking at 20GBP ish, but skys the limit there (you could probably survive on less than this, but its about what I spent there). Singapore is similar budget to Hong Kong

This includes train/bus travel, accommodation, tourist entree fees, and food. If you want to do expensive activities or fly on planes it will be much more expensive. Reserve that till your earning money :P
Reply 2
It obviously depends largely on where you're going, but a grand a month is not unrealistic at all as a rule of thumb. I took 3 grand for 3 months which was perfect - I spend my last 10 quid in JFK airport on my way home, having taken a route through developed and developing countries.

Latest