The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Watched kikki's delivery service, it was lovely.:h: Pretty good looking for something thats 23 years old.:yep:
Reply 862

I love it when film 4 do these! :biggrin: They always get me excited but i can never find out when they are, so thank you +rep your way!
Reply 864

Original post by vin
Watched kikki's delivery service, it was lovely.:h: Pretty good looking for something thats 23 years old.:yep:

heh!
I am vehemently anti-dubs. I much prefer to watch the original movie, in its original language.

That said, I love the films of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. I've watched Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Ponyo, and I'd love to watch more. And I watched the dubbed version of Ponyo, but it wasn't all that bad. But Nausicaa was the first I watched, and so probably my favourite, with Princess Mononoke close behind.
Reply 866
Original post by Ftn of Knowledge
I am vehemently anti-dubs. I much prefer to watch the original movie, in its original language.

That said, I love the films of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. I've watched Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Ponyo, and I'd love to watch more. And I watched the dubbed version of Ponyo, but it wasn't all that bad. But Nausicaa was the first I watched, and so probably my favourite, with Princess Mononoke close behind.

My exposure of dubbing for anime has been minimal because my native tongue is Japanese. However, I have watched a few for Ghibli and it's clear and rather fortunate that, unlike the majority of US companies that dub anime, Disney certainly have the leverage and budget to attract reputable A-listers that can deliver a commendable performance that is arguably comparable to the original Japanese voice cast. Of course, given that Ghibli tailors primarily for the Japanese market, inline with anime as a whole, certain cultural nuances and mannerisms can perceivably be lost when spoken in English. It's also a matter of preference. :smile:

Yes, even though Nausicaa is technically not a Ghibli film, as discussed previously, but rather the film that was partly responsible for the founding of the studio, if I had to choose a favourite, similarly it's also the first film I've watched and therefore expectedly have a tinge of nostalgia that would probably sway my decision.

Welcome to the Society. :smile:
Original post by Aiko
Welcome to the Society. :smile:
Thanks. :smile:

Any advice on what Studio Ghibli film I should watch next?
Studio Ghibli > every American animation studio combined.

And although many people I know don't agree with me but I sam steadfast in my belief that Snorlax from Pokemon is a Totoro knockoff. Pssshhhhhhht
Reply 869
Original post by Ftn of Knowledge
Thanks. :smile:

Any advice on what Studio Ghibli film I should watch next?

Admittedly, you could pick any, barring Earthsea (sorry Goro), and it wouldn't matter. I suppose Totoro or Laputa are arguably some of the more notable, or if you want to try something different (i.e. not Miyazaki but Takahata), Grave of the Fireflies is definitely worth seeing (expect to shed a few tears in the process) or, on a lighter note, Kiki's Delivery Service.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 870
Original post by the_alybot
Studio Ghibli > every American animation studio combined.

Wouldn't argue with that, although I have the utmost respect for Disney. :smile:

And although many people I know don't agree with me but I sam steadfast in my belief that Snorlax from Pokemon is a Totoro knockoff. Pssshhhhhhht

Aha, quite possibly! :giggle:
Original post by Aiko
Admittedly, you could pick any, barring Earthsea (sorry Goro), and it wouldn't matter. I suppose Totoro or Laputa are arguably some of the more notable, or if you want to try something different (i.e. not Miyazaki but Takahata), Grave of the Fireflies is definitely worth seeing (expect to shed a few tears in the process) or, on a lighter note, Kiki's Delivery Service.
Okay, thanks. I'll look into all of those. :smile:
Reply 872

Original post by Aiko
Wouldn't argue with that, although I have the utmost respect for Disney. :smile:

Aha, quite possibly! :giggle:

hello aiko!
when are the results going to come up for the anime guessing videos?`
thanks, just send me any message heh!
Reply 873
Original post by kiyubi
hello aiko!
when are the results going to come up for the anime guessing videos?`
thanks, just send me any message heh!

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this. I've been quite busy lately as I've been visiting family and I'm no longer at home. I might have an opportunity to finish preparing the videos when I'm in Tokyo visiting my parents. :smile:
Reply 874

Original post by Aiko
Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this. I've been quite busy lately as I've been visiting family and I'm no longer at home. I might have an opportunity to finish preparing the videos when I'm in Tokyo visiting my parents. :smile:

aww sorry to distract u
have a nice time though heh!
Reply 875
Original post by kiyubi
aww sorry to distract u
have a nice time though heh!

Not at all, I'm sorry for the wait, and thanks. :hugs:
Reply 876

Original post by Aiko
Not at all, I'm sorry for the wait, and thanks. :hugs:

u welcome:hand:
Reply 877

Original post by vin

unfortunately only a few people voted on it on the above poll heh!
Reply 878
So far I've watched three of the Ghibli films I've recorded from film4. Little Norse prince hadn't aged well, and well I'm moaned enough about Earthsea elsewhere. Ocean waves however turned out to be a pleasant surprise. At first I found it a bit dull, but it finally dragged me in.

Also I kept thinking the main character was voiced by the same VA who did Yoki in FMA:B, but I was wrong :sad:
I saw kiki's delivery service not too long ago on film 4 actually :smile: I think its pretty good that they're putting the Ghibli films on and in the origional japanese with subs too. Usually they would use the dub on english speaking channels, so its pretty refreshing to hear the origional for once.

Quick Reply

Latest