The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zhang-liao
I have a questiion
Why do you love Ghibli?
Personally,I like Ghibli because of the flow of the plot and the story and the sense of sadness but adventure...

I love Ghibli because the films are so imaginative and execute it so much better than any one else and the films are perfect to me I just escape in my mind to a land made by Ghibli basically :lol:

I don't know why a lot of people dislike Tales of Earthsea so much :s-smilie: I quite liked it especially more that Pom Poko
Original post by JordanS94
I don't know why a lot of people dislike Tales of Earthsea so much :s-smilie: I quite liked it especially more that Pom Poko

I though that it was a little badly paced, and that the plot wasn't that strong either. It was okay, just not that great compared with other Ghibli works.

That was before I read the Earthsea Quartet that the Ghibli film is based on, and found out they basically squeezed parts of all four stories together, which explained a lot. Glad I watched the anime first, as I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it at all if I'd watched it after reading the books... I don't think any of the changes to the story were for the better. :no:
I love Howls Moving Castle, I used to watch it all the time with my sister
I think all most every person who replies will say Grave of the Fireflies ... and everyone knows which scene I'm on about :cry2:

The most heart touching movie I've seen in a long time.
Sita and Setsuko suffer so much. And then Setsuko dies to make things harder for Sita.....
And when Sita says that she never woke up again...........
:cry2:

For some reason, it made feel like Sita and my young sis as Setsuko......
(edited 10 years ago)
I absolutely adore nearly all Ghibli's enchanting films: My Neighbour Totoro is a childhood favourite and so's Kiki's Delivery Service (<- I prefer the dubbed songs to the Japanese originals though). However, a strong personal favourite would be Howl's Moving Castle purely because each time the scene of Sophie and the young boy preparing breakfast comes up - you get a good look at how scrumptious the food they're making is (omg, the frying of the bacon and the yummy sunny side ups!) and it gives my stomach the rumbles! Shows how good the quality of animation is to not only the surroundings and characters but to the FOOD too! Haha but I reckon that's only me(^^)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by -Neuro-
In attempt to revive this thread.

Check this out! :gah:

I cant see the image :frown: but yes revive this thread :awesome:
I cant see the image :frown:

:ditto:

It'd be nice to see the the thread more active, but I doubt I'll have anything to add until From Up on Poppy Hill gets its UK DVD release in late September. :no: Kaze Tachinu started screening in Japan last week, however. :yes: Shame we'll likely have to wait a couple of years for that...
Original post by AngryJellyfish
:ditto:

It'd be nice to see the the thread more active, but I doubt I'll have anything to add until From Up on Poppy Hill gets its UK DVD release in late September. :no: Kaze Tachinu started screening in Japan last week, however. :yes: Shame we'll likely have to wait a couple of years for that...

according to rotton tomatoes From Up On Poppy Hill is in the cinemas in August but the USA have already show it... does this mean it's coming to the UK?
according to rotton tomatoes From Up On Poppy Hill is in the cinemas in August but the USA have already show it... does this mean it's coming to the UK?

It's in UK cinemas from August the 2nd, apparently. :yes:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
It's in UK cinemas from August the 2nd, apparently. :yes:

I know what I am watching next in the cinema :awesome:
Can't wait for release of poppy hill :biggrin: it'll be the first i've seen in a cinema. Its on cineworlds site already although last time I checked they hadn't yet confirmed venues it'll be showing at. It best come here or :spank:
A quick heads up guys... There's a mini SG season coming from the 1st of august until the 9th on film4. The only downside is that the big films are missing.

http://www.film4.com/whats-on/the-spirit-of-studio-ghibli-summer-2013
I watched My Neighbours the Yamadas yesterday and it was great fun! A great feel-good movie for anyone who's interested.

Grave of the Fireflies is surprisingly the saddest movie I've ever seen, it's so sad that I'll never watch it again.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
A quick heads up guys... There's a mini SG season coming from the 1st of august until the 9th on film4. The only downside is that the big films are missing.

http://www.film4.com/whats-on/the-spirit-of-studio-ghibli-summer-2013

ujsdushdchdbh :gah:

I spent my whole Easter watching the last season, it was the highlight of the year so far imo :love:
ujsdushdchdbh :gah:

I spent my whole Easter watching the last season, it was the highlight of the year so far imo :love:

Likewise, that was an amazing easter season. This one is nowhere near as big though, no mononoke/spirited away/porco rosso/howls moving castle/laputa.

At least Kiki, Totoro and Cat Returns are in it :yes: although i'll miss everything bar the first three days :frown:

EDIT: Goods news at least, found out an indie cinema will be playing Poppy Hill for over a week here :biggrin: watching it on the day of release.
(edited 10 years ago)
Likewise, that was an amazing easter season. This one is nowhere near as big though, no mononoke/spirited away/porco rosso/howls moving castle/laputa.

At least Kiki, Totoro and Cat Returns are in it :yes: although i'll miss everything bar the first three days :frown:

EDIT: Goods news at least, found out an indie cinema will be playing Poppy Hill for over a week here :biggrin: watching it on the day of release.

So far the closest I've found is Manchester :frown: it's not far away but its just a pain paying more money :cry2:
I watch My Neighbours the Yamadas for the first time today and I found it pretty boring :s-smilie: I think it's the first one I've not liked from Studio Ghibli
I watch My Neighbours the Yamadas for the first time today and I found it pretty boring :s-smilie: I think it's the first one I've not liked from Studio Ghibli

I didn't mind it too much :smile: although it was so different from the rest of their films. Their films that focus more on the whole slice of life stuff I dislike, Ocean waves which is on tomorrow bores me to death. Only yesterday somewhat as well.
I didn't mind it too much :smile: although it was so different from the rest of their films. Their films that focus more on the whole slice of life stuff I dislike, Ocean waves which is on tomorrow bores me to death. Only yesterday somewhat as well.

I really like Ocean Waves :lol: I think it might have been the animation of MNTY because most of the screen was white for the whole film. Only yesterday is the only one I haven't seen now, I have missed it a few times on TV so now is the time to watch it :biggrin:
I really like Ocean Waves :lol: I think it might have been the animation of MNTY because most of the screen was white for the whole film. Only yesterday is the only one I haven't seen now, I have missed it a few times on TV so now is the time to watch it :biggrin:

Okay I was being harsh, Ocean Waves isn't bad but was probably my least favourite. Only yesterday is better and was more enjoyable, think I preferred it to Ponyo and Earthsea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending