The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orthrus
Good choice! I was sat rewatching them in my head for a good 10mins before i decided, but then again, i've still got a few i need to see :biggrin:

I finally finished watching them all this week ... well today tbh all I need to see now is From Up On Poppy Hill when it comes out on DVD here XD

I saw all of them except My Neighours the Yamadas and Only Yesterday and I saw them both in the past week :biggrin:
Reply 1001
I absolutely love all the Ghibli films, my absolute favourite HAS to be Howl's Moving Castle. The soundtrack is beautiful and makes the film so much more magical than it already is, and I love Howl's character and the world in which the story takes place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanS94
I finally finished watching them all this week ... well today tbh all I need to see now is From Up On Poppy Hill when it comes out on DVD here XD

I saw all of them except My Neighours the Yamadas and Only Yesterday and I saw them both in the past week :biggrin:

I've seen them all except for Ponyo, Grave of the Fireflies, and Only Yesterday to watch before i'm all done, barring From Up On Poppy Hill as well!

I'm just so glad that Film 4 has their Studio Ghibli season on again, i'm sure i'll be all caught up in a week :biggrin:
Original post by Orthrus
I've seen them all except for Ponyo, Grave of the Fireflies, and Only Yesterday to watch before i'm all done, barring From Up On Poppy Hill as well!

I'm just so glad that Film 4 has their Studio Ghibli season on again, i'm sure i'll be all caught up in a week :biggrin:

It ends tomorrow :frown: You missed Ponyo (about 3 days ago) and Only Yesterday (This morning). And how have you not seen Grave of the Fireflies :shock: it's one of the best imo and the saddest film existence.
It ends tomorrow :frown: You missed Ponyo (about 3 days ago) and Only Yesterday (This morning). And how have you not seen Grave of the Fireflies :shock: it's one of the best imo and the saddest film existence.

... :lolwut:

Spoiler

I haven't seen it because i've read reviews and thought, 'Crap, I'm gonna need tissues and comfort food when i watch this' :laugh:

How did you find only yesterday, should i get excited about it?
Original post by Orthrus
... :lolwut:

Spoiler

I haven't seen it because i've read reviews and thought, 'Crap, I'm gonna need tissues and comfort food when i watch this' :laugh:

How did you find only yesterday, should i get excited about it?

Ahhh so you're not missing out :biggrin:

I found Only Yesterday similar to Ocean Waves simple but effective not a fantasy world like Spirited Away etc Not the best but certainly not the worst.
Ahhh so you're not missing out :biggrin:

I found Only Yesterday similar to Ocean Waves simple but effective not a fantasy world like Spirited Away etc Not the best but certainly not the worst.

Hmm, yeah i really like the Ghibli films that fit into the fantasy spectrum, but obviously they're still pretty brill at more realistic storylines as well. Yup, might watch it tonight!
Reply 1007
Who's watching Arietty right now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just saw From Up On Poppy Hill the other day, great stuff, kind of similar to Whisper Of A Heart, though maybe not quite as good.

Top ten:
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Laputa: Castle In The Sky
Whisper Of A Heart
Porco Rosso
From Up On Poppy Hill
Pom Poko
Nausica of the Valley of the Wind
You should probably watch Spirited Away first, it's awesome and everybody loves it.

Then maybe Grave of the Fireflies, which is probably the saddest film I've ever scene. Be warned, it gets pretty intense.
Original post by ToxicBadger
Just saw From Up On Poppy Hill the other day, great stuff, kind of similar to Whisper Of A Heart, though maybe not quite as good.

Top ten:
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Laputa: Castle In The Sky
Whisper Of A Heart
Porco Rosso
From Up On Poppy Hill
Pom Poko
Nausica of the Valley of the Wind

Nice list :wink: btw you should really quote the other person because they might not check back.

My top 10
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
My Neighbour Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Whisper of the Heart
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves

... but if Ocean waves doesn't count because it is a TV film then I'd replace it with Ponyo (I haven't seen From up on Poppy Hill yet :frown: )

Tbh anyone who has watched the first 7 in my list would chose at least 5/6 of them in their top 10 I think.
Hmmm, a Top 10 of Ghibli films, eh? I like lists. :biggrin: It's been a while since I last saw some of them, but I'll trust my memory (backed up with my A-P rankings), so mine would probably be something like this:

Grave of the Fireflies
Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
The Cat Returns
Karigurashi no Arrietty
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
My top ten:
Laputa
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso
Grave of the Fireflies
Nausicaa
The Cat Returns
Pom Poko
My Neighbor Totoro
Poppy Hill
Nice list :wink: btw you should really quote the other person because they might not check back.

Good point, thanks.
Original post by Khallil
I've only seen these two from your top 10, and they are awesome! :smile: Which ones would you recommend I watch first from your top 10?
Studio Ghibli Season part two continuing tomorrow with Porco Rosso people!!!!!
I'm new to the Studio Ghibli thread here, but not new to the films themselves - I'm slowly on a mission to watch all of them, and have seen a fair few by now. Though all of them have been brilliant, my favourite film of all time is Pom Poko.

On another note, I managed to get a Spirited Away t-shirt in Camden the other day. I looked desperately for Pom Poko or Howl's Moving Castle, another highlight of mine, but Spirited Away is still great. Hey, maybe if I wear it around a bit, I can meet a few other Studio Ghibli fans around the place :biggrin:
Reply 1016
Original post by Ndella
Who's watching Arietty right now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recorded it and watched it for the first time yesterday. It was beautiful. Very moving, as always. Saoirse Ronan is amazing :')

Original post by Mysteryfaith
I'm new to the Studio Ghibli thread here, but not new to the films themselves - I'm slowly on a mission to watch all of them, and have seen a fair few by now. Though all of them have been brilliant, my favourite film of all time is Pom Poko.

On another note, I managed to get a Spirited Away t-shirt in Camden the other day. I looked desperately for Pom Poko or Howl's Moving Castle, another highlight of mine, but Spirited Away is still great. Hey, maybe if I wear it around a bit, I can meet a few other Studio Ghibli fans around the place :biggrin:

A good way to summon fellow admirers :colone:
Whats everybodys least favourite SG film? Actually interested in knowing as favourite film varies around the top ones :smile:

For me it is Arietty-English Dub. I tried to love this film but really couldn't, followed in a close second place with Earthsea.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Whats everybodys least favourite SG film? Actually interested in knowing as favourite film varies around the top ones :smile:

For me it is Arietty-English Dub. I tried to love this film but really couldn't, followed in a close second place with Earthsea.

Tales from Earthsea. I thought it was a bit lacking compared with other Ghibli films when I first watched it... then I read the novels it was supposedly based on, and that just made the film look a hundred times worse.
Reply 1019
Original post by priya8D
I recorded it and watched it for the first time yesterday. It was beautiful. Very moving, as always. Saoirse Ronan is amazing :')

A good way to summon fellow admirers :colone:

It definitely was. I was a bit sad that the borrowers didn't get to live in the little dolls' house, it was so perfect :frown:

She's really talented at acting and was surprised to see that she voiced Arietty. She's good at portraying innocence :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending