The Student Room Group
I suppose i'm in the same boat about not really knowing where i want to go with my life (career wise) as are most of my friends and in fact almost everyone i know. But then of these people almost everyone is applying to university. This is mainly because going to university adds 3-4 years to think and decide about what you want to do and at the end of it you will be more attractive to an employer because you have a degree.

On the other hand side it's a hell of a lot of money to go to university and then find that the job you end up doing for the rest of your life doesn't require a degree!

As for what i'd do if i were you i'd look into the areas of life your interested in and find what jobs you can get to do with it. For some areas you would need a degree, for some it might just involve working in a shop, for things like sport you could do some coaching etc...
Im sailing in the same boat; finished college last year, most of my friends are in uni now. I dont want to go because of many reasons, money, getting into debt, not enjoying it and quitting, being away from boyfriend.. many things. I just dont see the need to go to uni, but i am however extreamly confused as to what to do with my life; i dont have any plans exactly. What id like to do is continue working part time untill i get my liscence and ultimatly a car... hopefully in a few months. and then leave waitrose, and go travelling for a few months. I do have the problem that i can only go traveling if my boyfriend wants to come with me, coz obvioulsly i dont want to be away from him. So hopefully we will, i want to travel the UK, spend the summer in Cornwall renting a little place and working a couple of days a week temporarily to keep me going. I feel the need to live life while im still young; i have no desire to go straight into full time employment - i have my whole life for that.
anyhoo sorry for rambling on; i think you need to find your feet - discover who you are and what you want out of life. remember life is what you make of it and money wont make you happy.
Reply 3
Im in the same boat (gosh this has to be one very roomy boat lol)
But yeah i WANTED to go uni last year (sept 2007) but Greenwich Uni ruined my application, and by that i mean they put me down for Sociology and NOT Journalism, like i said on my ucas app. On results day i was like WTH?? I contacted them, they chose not to do anything about it, thus making me go through clearing. I got into UCE and for sociology (i had no choice, i just wanted to be IN uni) but after a month i realised what i was doing was stupid, i was settling which i shouldn't have done. So i dropped out, i worked @ Bakers Oven, they treated me like rubbish and it was full of old bitchy women, so i left.
I then worked in Somerfield, i was called useless and told by the boss that nobody likes me and that im lucky i have this job. Oh yeah AND they lost my bank details. So i left there.
Now im back job hunting, it sucks b/c i really want/need a job.
Worst thing is that this gap year wasnt even planned so im literally walking around like a headless chicken not knowing what to do.
Im not going uni for this september as i don't want to rush my application (its late now anyways) but yeah i just wanna have some structure to my life, which atm, i dont :frown:
Reply 4
Thanks for replying everyone, you really have made me feel better about my decision :biggrin:
Lozzetti, I am so glad I've found someone who is in the same boat as me. (no offence to you whatsoever).
I have no clue what to do post 6th form, and haven't applied for Uni. All i managed to do was sign up to UCAS!! lols.

Most of my friends are either going to uni this year, next year or have a career action plan in mind.
I, however, don't :frown::frown::frown:

I have 'ideas' but am still stuck.
I feel expected to go to uni, but I have no clue what to take. It feels as if uni would be really really hard too :frown:

Any advice or help would be muchly appreciated.
I was thinking about doing something to do with councelling...but then I'm taking physics at A2 and wouldn't want to stop doing it...
I don't think theres anything (course or career) that does both, and Physics at uni seems mega hard too.

Essay over lols.
Sozzers in advance!! :O(
Reply 6
I didn't want to apply for uni after I finished A-Levels. I did an apprenticeship in Administration for a year. I then started going to college part time but then decided I wanted to go to uni as I enjoyed college so much. It was a 2 year gap between me finishing A-Levels and starting uni. I think I was in a better position than some others, I appreciated Uni more as I had worked; I think I approached the course with more life experience than others and, best of all, I had money to go to uni with that some people didn't have. Don't worry about Uni at the moment. Its something you can do later on, or part-time, or not at all! :biggrin:
Reply 7
hey topseyturvey,

all i managed to do was sign up to UCAS too, didnt even attempt a personal statement.

i think im just going to take it as it comes and try and get a job and therefore some experience.

i actually thought about councilling too, if you feel thats something you would enjoy you should go for it and if it doesnt work out try something else.

but yeah i have realised im not the only one that feels that way and neither are you so i hope your not as worried as you were :biggrin:
i don't think i am :smile:
just really confused on "plan b" Since i haven't applied to uni you know?

It's niggling at the back of me mind... :-S

hmmm...lets get Jan exams out the way first I think .... :frown: :smile:
Lols

And thanks :biggrin:
Reply 9
hey everyone who is in theis massive ferry of ours,
i too only applied to ucas but didn't attempt a personal statemesnt or anything, i don't know if its just me or myschool but does anyone else get the feeling that people push uni on to you as though its the only other option, i mean they give you no help with careers or apprenticships all they do is babble on about getting your personal statements in by 15th january, i have this sorta i'm drifitng along feeling 9my sister is at uni and loves it and part of me is jealous) but i think its the socail side i am jealous of, i'm not particularly amazing at school and if i'm honest i don't nearly put enough effort in, so at the moment i'm just drifting thinking of career becasue since my mates are all goong to uni and maybe spend 3--4 years there i can have started working somewhere like a bank and begin to move my way up the career ladder :s-smilie:

glad and relived there are more of "us" than i thought its nice to know that other people are feeling the same as me,
Reply 10
I totally agree with you russream. my school got loads of people in to speak to us about going to uni but noone to come and talk to those of us who dont want to go about what we should do after. my school pushes uni onto us so they get good stats for how many of their students go to uni. its not fair :frown:
Reply 11
Hello everyone :smile:

I am in the same boat too :p:

I have not applied to university, although did apply to UCAS but didn't add a personal statement or put in any choices.

Everyone is telling me I am a fool for not wanting to go to University, but to be honest I don't want to go! I might go in the future (I will do my A2s this June so I could go if I wanted) but I'm just not ready now. I am young and have no idea about anything!

I also did not apply to university this year as I really hated all that pressure to get the correct grades needed :frown:
Reply 12
Ohh as the days go by im getting more and more worried about what the hell im going to do when i finish sixth-form :frown:
Reply 13
Do people know that Connexion shops have lists of apprenticeships available in your area.

Latest