The Student Room Group

Dilemma! Want to change Uni

Hi

I am currently in my first year studying Pharmacology in London.
To start off I have not exactly made a lot of friends. And I dont mean to be offensive, but my campus is very diverse,as in culturally, so everyone is quite isolated in their own groups. I feel like the odd one out. And its really hard during tutorials and practicals as I have no one to really talk to.
Also, the work is getting harder, and I dont think I can cope with it as the university is getting me down.

I dont know if I should carry on to finish my first year and then transfer. But will the universities allow me to do that? and how?

The reason why I want to carry on this year is to boost up my experience for when I apply to other universities. My qualifications for A level is Btec Health and Baccalaureate. So maybe if I complete my first year, it will boost my original grades.
I want to transfer to Portsmouth. That was my first choice originally.
But I went throug clearing and all the places had gone.
Even if I could not transfer to the second year, I would not mind starting in the first year again. I am that desperate to leave, but I dont want to leave university.

If anyone can offer good advise....ger back to me.
I am really at a loose end at the moment.:confused: :confused:

x
Well since you are in your first year currently, you contact the universities that you are interested in and ask if they accept second year transfers and explain your situation as such. If they will consider your application then make a UCAS application as normal but apply with your point of entry as year 2. You'll need a personal statement, your one from last year will be fine if you update it a bit with reasons of why you want to transfer and such or you can write a completely new one. You'll also need a reference so maybe a tutor at your current university would be willing to provide one? Also, don't forget that the UCAS deadline is the 15th so get moving quickly.

Hope it all works out for you. :smile:
Reply 2
Ok, Thankyou sooo much. Your advice means a lot :smile:

x
Reply 3
Original post by &#946
Well since you are in your first year currently, you contact the universities that you are interested in and ask if they accept second year transfers and explain your situation as such. If they will consider your application then make a UCAS application as normal but apply with your point of entry as year 2. You'll need a personal statement, your one from last year will be fine if you update it a bit with reasons of why you want to transfer and such or you can write a completely new one. You'll also need a reference so maybe a tutor at your current university would be willing to provide one? Also, don't forget that the UCAS deadline is the 15th so get moving quickly.

Hope it all works out for you. :smile:

For transferring, the deadline is June. The UCAS procedure is just a formality, and unis will pretty much have decided whether to give an offer on the contact (emails, phonecalls etc) beforehand.
Juno
For transferring, the deadline is June. The UCAS procedure is just a formality, and unis will pretty much have decided whether to give an offer on the contact (emails, phonecalls etc) beforehand.

Ahh ok. Thanks for correcting me. :smile:
Reply 5
I am in exactly the same position; I have spoken to the University I want to go to, and their head of admissions told me that it would be fine to use the reference I used for last year! So maybe you could ask about this aswell incase you struggle to get one from your current University??
Reply 6
Ok thanks, so would I have to contact my reference from last year as well?
My reference was a sixth form teacher.
Reply 7
Or contact UCAS and ask (pay! :P) to get a copy of your original app :wink:
Reply 8
If you email [email protected] or phone 023 9284 5550 they'll help you along.

They way I understand the system is that if you want to transfer, they'll contact your current your current uni and get copies of all the stuff that they'll need and contact you about anything else

Latest