The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'Bastardisation'

I'm referring to the use of this by Jamie Oliver in one of my assignments. But in this context (This is a complete bastardisation of an Italian Classic),
what do I refer to it as ' a profanity'?? an expletitive?? taboo language??

Any suggestions?
Reply 1
Anyone??
Reply 2
Please...
Reply 3
No need to bump it twice; you only gave it two hours :rolleyes:. It's just an ordinary noun as far as I'm aware, it's not an expletive or anything like that. In Australian English it's a colloquial term, according to the OED.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies. The reason I've bumped it twice, is there must be at least half a dozen threads I have posted in this forum that have yielded no replies, and I get warned for putting it elsewhere.

Not a strength of TSR.
Reply 5
diamondgeezer

Not a strength of TSR.

What, that you have asked a weird question which no one has responded to in the space of a couple of hours? I found out the answer to your question by looking in the dictionnary. Did you really need to post a thread about it?

Edit: And looking at your past threads in the English forum, it's because you ask questions in which you expect people to do your homework for you.
Reply 6
Show me one thread where I have asked for someone to blatantly do my homework. Quit the bull**** mate... your records stuck.

This is an academic help forum. I'm sure many people could have answered intelligiently on this matter, but some are too lazy.

And what the above directed at you... no hence why I thanked you, but if your going to be a total arse... then don't answer my threads in future.

Why shouldn't I bump this thread, it's unanswered, the forum is about lending each other a hand now and again.
Reply 7
By the way, the neg rep you tried to leave me? You accidentally clicked positive.
Reply 8
Because it shows that I don't have to time for human beings like you.
Reply 9
:wink:
Bastardisation is Standard English as far as I'm concerned, just an abstract noun, perfectly acceptable in any kind of company. I wouldn't be embarrassed if I said it in front of my nan. You could say it is derived from a word considered an expletive by many. I'd avoid saying taboo though, personally I think there are only 2 taboo words left, ****** and ******. Possibly nigger too, but to a lesser extent.
I think the swear filter supports my point, hehe. You can probably guess what words I meant anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending