The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've never done MV, but I've got a friend who they have got in the MV office filing and making tea, for his volunteering. Obviously that's not typical, but I would hate to have to do that and not be paid.

I'd say Duke of Edinburgh personally - much more scope for personal development too.
Reply 21
I've still not signed up for DofE (though i am doing millenium volunteers), so i was wondeirng if i could ask another question about the duke of edinburgh.

When you volunteer do you have to go about finding your own places and doing it yourself, or do you do volunteering in groups?

I ask because i know on DofE theres a fieldtrip you have to do so im basically wondering are the people you're with on this trip the people you've been volunteering with, or are you basically just thrown together with other people from your area?

Thanks, hope that made some sense
Reply 22
bump
Reply 23
I don't do D of E but from what I can gather, yes there is a group for the 'field trips'.

I think you pick your own volunteering, maybe you can pick to do it with your group, but my friends ended up dotted all over. A couple have paired up, but most from what I can see are on their own.
Reply 24
You generally sort out your own volunteering stuff for DofE (though if you're doing it through your school or something they will most likely be able to suggest a few places if you haven't got anywhere lined up) and quite often will do something on your own (i.e. not with your friends or people you know, not necessarily literally without anyone else). There is indeed a group for the Expedition (which you may or may not be able to choose yourselves from your group of friends or whatever) but there's no reason why it would be the same group of people you did your Service section with unless it just happens that you all decided to volunteer in the same place too.
Reply 25
I was just thinkin it would be good to be with a group of people around my own age but i guess its not the case apart from the expedition lol.
Reply 26
its actually a little late to think about MV since the organisation disbanded this month. but you can still go through the new organisation called V but i'm not too sure what kind of programme it is.
hiya again!! :smile:

The "field trip" bit is bascially the expedition - which most people tend to do walking, but you can cycle, ride, canoe etc if you want. This is done in small groups (between 4-7 I think), and will generally all be about the same age, but will def be between the minimum age for the level you are doing (so either 14, 15 or 16) and 25.

All other areas of the award are seperate. Some groups offer more help organising and doing them than others. Sometimes there will be things organised that you can do, so you may get to do things with people from your group, or you can do things yourself. You are best asking whoever your award advisor is for help/to explain anything to you and they can point you in the right direction.
Reply 28
I do M.V but I think DofE is better

Latest

Trending

Trending