The Student Room Group

not the best A-Levels...am I screwed

Saw a thread recently about someone who had a bad GCSE. Now this made me think about the inverse.
I obtained CCDD in the following Maths, Chemistry, Physics & IT respectively. I know it's short of the best, but it's due to some mitigating circumstances.
I have performed well ever since though, at least a 2:1 while at uni

Now, does this mean I'm screwed getting a Job, placement etc...

Scroll to see replies

no
Reply 2
Nope - once you have your degree nobody will care about your A-level grades unless you have to go into temping (i.e. work for which your degree gives you no advantage) when you leave uni.
Reply 3
cheers peeps, really appreciate it.

But what about with regards to finding placements/internships, since one wouldn't have a degree by then, do you think it would matter with great amount ?

cheers in advance
Reply 4
NeoLint
cheers peeps, really appreciate it.

But what about with regards to finding placements/internships, since one wouldn't have a degree by then, do you think it would matter with great amount ?

cheers in advance

They will look at your module marks at university, so you may have a chance of getting a position if you have strong module marks.

Your ALs can screw you over no doubt, but it is not the end-all.
We, as an employer, care more about A-levels than degree classification. We're not the only ones. But plenty of firms are the other way around.
Reply 6
ThePants999
We, as an employer, care more about A-levels than degree classification. We're not the only ones. But plenty of firms are the other way around.

So what should the OP do if he gets a 2:1 but has bad AL grades and applies to your firm?
Reply 7
expect a rejection, lol.
Reply 8
Usually your highest qualifications count. As for internships etc., as you have mitigating circumstances and are doing well now, you should be OK.
Reply 9
why??

a levels are a 2 year course you do when your 16-18. your effectively still a child. the fact they could potentially screw up the rest of your life seemingly no matter what you do to prove yourself is ludicrous. So getting a 2:1 from a good university means nothing if you've got ****e a levels?!?!
Reply 10
how do you get into a good university with crap a levels?
touché
v2006

clearing :/ (obviously he wont be going to a top 20...although the OP is studying at sheffield.)
Reply 13
v2006

like I said, I explained the situation to them...they investigated it...and my offer was still valid. They also watched my progress, and since I did ok...I was cool
Reply 14
do you go to sheffield uni?
NeoLint
like I said, I explained the situation to them...they investigated it...and my offer was still valid. They also watched my progress, and since I did ok...I was cool

Even if worse comes to worse just do a foundation course, many 'good' universities offer this. You have also got AL marks in hard AL subjects maths, chemistry and physics, so that should add weight to your application.

My friend got BCD and got into Durham for biomedical sciences.

OP:

Have you thought about doing a 'masters' if you get a 2:1 afterwards?
Reply 16
wow i thought durham was a very prestigious uni
Reply 17
yh...I do.
had a predicted grade of AABB - in the respective subjects...and I needed AAB in 3 subject which I was predicted to have.
v2006
wow i thought durham was a very prestigious uni

Yes, it is a top 10; he got in through clearing. Unfortunantly for him he graduated with a 2:2, which if you take the positives of - was the same as many of the other graduates who achieved higher grades at Alevel on his degree.

Incidently, I have friends that went to York that achieved AAA at Alevel that achieved a 2:2 in their degree. (York is in the same bracket as Durham, so who is cleverer? my friend with weaker AL marks or my friend with strong AL marks?)

Anyway, it goes to show Alevels and degree success do not correlate with each other. May I add he went to a **** comprehensive, as did I - so I am certain that affected his AL grades.
Reply 19
I like how you say AL hehe. Yeh I went to a very crappy comprehensive as well, got crap GCSE's and good A levels. Got rejected by UCL for economics, but accepted by notts :frown:.

Latest