The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ThePants999
We, as an employer, care more about A-levels than degree classification. We're not the only ones. But plenty of firms are the other way around.

If I was going to apply to your firm, will I have a chance considering my situation?
v2006
I like how you say AL hehe. Yeh I went to a very crappy comprehensive as well, got crap GCSE's and good A levels. Got rejected by UCL for economics, but accepted by notts :frown:.

I just don't see the point in fretting about something that has been done. All the OP can do now is get the best degree possible (he MUST get a 2:1) and in the mean time get as much working experience as possible.

He could consider doing a masters elseware at somewhere more presigious if it bothers him that much, a 2:1 from most places will give him that option. If not it will just be a lot slower for him to climb the career ladder to lets say a 2:1 grad at Oxford, but it is possible and not the end-all. Like he would have to start at the bottom of the barrel.
Reply 22
fat_hobbit
Even if worse comes to worse just do a foundation course, many 'good' universities offer this. You have also got AL marks in hard AL subjects maths, chemistry and physics, so that should add weight to your application.

My friend got BCD and got into Durham for biomedical sciences.

OP:

Have you thought about doing a 'masters' if you get a 2:1 afterwards?

I am actually on masters already
NeoLint
I am actually on masters already

At sheffield? So I suspect you achieved a 2:1. What did you get your undergrad in?
Reply 24
if you wanna be an accountanct, work at a small firm, get your aca, and then switch to a more prestigious firm.
Reply 25
Depends, if you're applying for a job that has something to do with your degree, then it shouldn't make a difference. If your degree and your job have nothing in common the a levels will make more of a difference.
Reply 26
fat_hobbit
At sheffield? So I suspect you achieved a 2:1. What did you get your undergrad in?

sorry don't get your question.
I'm still an undergrad. I obtained a 2:1 in my first year and was offered the MEng option, which I happily accepted.

does that answer your question ?
NeoLint
sorry don't get your question.
I'm still an undergrad. I obtained a 2:1 in my first year and was offered the MEng option, which I happily accepted.

does that answer your question ?

You can do a masters elseware, if you wanted too afterwards in addition to that.

The fact that you achieved a 2:1 in first year shows a lot about your ability, tell this to the people you apply as an intern too. (give them your module marks)
Reply 28
to verify, do you mean do a masters elsewhere after obtaining a masters already?

Thanks in advance
Yes at a top 10.
Reply 30
nice...I hope it wouldn't have to come to that.

Thanks so much though...appreciate it
zillysteph
a levels are a 2 year course you do when your 16-18. your effectively still a child. the fact they could potentially screw up the rest of your life seemingly no matter what you do to prove yourself is ludicrous.
A degree is a 3 year course you do when you're 18-21. Doesn't seem hugely different to me!

fat_hobbit
So what should the OP do if he gets a 2:1 but has bad AL grades and applies to your firm?

Basically, stress the mitigating circumstances. Everyone's got strengths and weaknesses. All job applications are about highlighting your strengths and downplaying your weaknesses. In the OP's case, his weaknesses include his A-levels, and his strengths include his degree and no doubt a bunch of other stuff. So although he's disadvantaged at companies that emphasise A-levels, he's by no means out of the running - he just needs to explain away those poor results and focus the recruiter's attention on everything else that makes him a great candidate. Equally, there are many employers that won't give a stuff about his A-levels now he's got a degree. I don't think he's in a bad position.
Reply 32
What career do you want?
ThePants999
A degree is a 3 year course you do when you're 18-21. Doesn't seem hugely different to me!

People change especially when they do a degree as I think you know from experience, as it requires a lot more self dicipline, independence during studying and less hand holding unlike in school.
Reply 34
kirstinx
What career do you want?

I'm currently studying Elect & Electronics Enginering.
Regarding careers... I'm interested in anything with related to my degree & IT (software / networking related)

ThePants:

It's funny because I have made applications to Data connection regarding internship (year); so does that mean I don't have a chance?
Reply 35
don't worry you will easily get a job with EEE.
Reply 36
NeoLint
I'm currently studying Elect & Electronics Enginering.
Regarding careers... I'm interested in anything with related to my degree & IT (software / networking related)

ThePants:

It's funny because I have made applications to Data connection regarding internship (year); so does that mean I don't have a chance?

Data Connection seem to be really good at getting back to people quickly so you should find out soon from them.
You dont always have to mention your grades on a cv, after a while you wont have any space- with years of work experience.

If your filling out application forms just write A- levels in etc all, A- C- a pass.
Reply 38
U Only Get One Shot, Do Not Miss Your Chance To Blow
This Opportunity Comes Once In A Lifetime
Slightly off topic?

Seems like you've left the course V2006

Latest

Trending

Trending