The Student Room Group

Hong Kong University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
yeung3939
IBGM may be weaker than G Bus. But for BBA (Law), I am not sure. Most BBA (Law) grads actually go on to complete the LLB and become lawyers.

Also, don't rely on hear-say evidence.

Where did you get the information? Friends of mine who are studying BBA (Law) at HKU give me very different view - most students complete the BBA part of the course and start applying for jobs (financial institutions, MNCs, Government, etc)
Hey everyone just wondering about the Early Admission Scheme for HKU, CUHK and HKUST. Standards for GCSEs or IGCSEs are well high and I wonder if anyone gets under 8A* got in? I mean they want national awards and to be honest, it is really unfair for us Britons - imagine getting through X-factor in Britain...it is wayy harder than any singing contest in Hong Kong...population-wise.
Jennyjelly
Hey everyone just wondering about the Early Admission Scheme for HKU, CUHK and HKUST. Standards for GCSEs or IGCSEs are well high and I wonder if anyone gets under 8A* got in? I mean they want national awards and to be honest, it is really unfair for us Britons - imagine getting through X-factor in Britain...it is wayy harder than any singing contest in Hong Kong...population-wise.

Nope, that is the minimum requirement.
Jennyjelly

The GCSE's from UK are not "well high", it is a joke comparative to the HKCEE. Getting 8A* at GCSE is much easier than getting the 6A's that is needed at HKCEE for HK pupils to get into the EAS programme.
billykwok
The GCSE's from UK are not "well high", it is a joke comparative to the HKCEE. Getting 8A* at GCSE is much easier than getting the 6A's that is needed at HKCEE for HK pupils to get into the EAS programme.

Sorry if I have not made my point clear. I understand how HKCEE is much harder but my point was mainly on national awards? This is quite difficult to achieve unless you're very talented in some aspects e.g. sports. I know some really gifted sportswomen in school but I'm sure we do not have people with exceptional talent everywhere like in the radtio of 1 in 2 people...

Oh another point I would like to make is that HKCEE is hard but GCSE is not effortless. It really annoys me how people feel GCSE is easy, so easy that it is almost effortless. I didn't mean you have annoyed me but it just reminds me of people who talked to me like this.
Reply 385
yeung3939
Also, HKU is in no match with LSE for what LSE does.

I would say overall HKU is somewhere below Oxbridge-LSE-Imperial-UCL, and above Warwick-York-Durham-St Andrews-KCL.

So, would you choose HKU over St.Andrews for a BBA course?
Reply 386
jooooooto

A definite no.
Reply 387
jooooooto

a definite yes. hku is way better than st.andrews.
Reply 388
renjie
a definite yes. hku is way better than st.andrews.

:unsure: Saying that HKU is "way better" than St Andrews is seriously pushing it.
Can anyone tell me how tough it is to get into the Masters of Economics programme at HKUST and HKU? Would I find it tough to pass the course without knowing any chinese? Are there any foreign students at HKU? I saw the graduation picture of the Masters of Economics class at HKUST and there wasn't one non chinese face, so will I be alienated? I have 68% in BSc Economics from Nottingham University with 3 internships (KPMG/Grant Thornton and an Asian Bank)
Reply 390
prospectivEEconomist
Can anyone tell me how tough it is to get into the Masters of Economics programme at HKUST and HKU? Would I find it tough to pass the course without knowing any chinese? Are there any foreign students at HKU? I saw the graduation picture of the Masters of Economics class at HKUST and there wasn't one non chinese face, so will I be alienated? I have 68% in BSc Economics from Nottingham University with 3 internships (KPMG/Grant Thornton and an Asian Bank)

the course should be completely in english. there might be some electives taught in chinese. as far as hku is concerned i know that they have loads of international students... .
renjie
the course should be completely in english. there might be some electives taught in chinese. as far as hku is concerned i know that they have loads of international students... .

They dont require a GMAT score and want a second class hours, so is it really THAT hard to get into for masters? Someone told me they are as competitive to get into as LSE/Obbridge; is that true?
Reply 392
prospectivEEconomist
They dont require a GMAT score and want a second class hours, so is it really THAT hard to get into for masters? Someone told me they are as competitive to get into as LSE/Obbridge; is that true?

i know that it is quite competitive...but definitely not nearly as competitive as LSE.
plus, i was told that they tend to "like" english native speakers :wink:
i think doing your masters in hk is an excellent idea. the unis (especially hku) and the city are just great.
was going to ask nearly the same question :smile: doing Economics @ Warwick and thinking of doing Finance at HKU...although im a bit confused...on the one hand it says it requires 2 years work exp but then says international students without it are welcome to apply to their ft programme...yey? Should i keep my expectations low considering i dont have work exp and that atm im mid 2.2 (although my module choice & some effort should be sufficient for 2.1)?

btw...soz for offtopic but HKUSTs MSc Global Finance requires 5 years work exp :-S....shame...seems interesting!
abrp
was going to ask nearly the same question :smile: doing Economics @ Warwick and thinking of doing Finance at HKU...although im a bit confused...on the one hand it says it requires 2 years work exp but then says international students without it are welcome to apply to their ft programme...yey? Should i keep my expectations low considering i dont have work exp and that atm im mid 2.2 (although my module choice & some effort should be sufficient for 2.1)?

btw...soz for offtopic but HKUSTs MSc Global Finance requires 5 years work exp :-S....shame...seems interesting!

Where does it say they welcome international students to apply for the MSc Finance programme?

I guess by strong they mean a high first or something :frown: No harm in applying since they dont want a personal statement I guess. I was more interesting in HKUST's programme as their business school is world class.
prospectivEEconomist
I guess by strong they mean a high first or something :frown: No harm in applying since they dont want a personal statement I guess. I was more interesting in HKUST's programme as their business school is world class.

the only relevant degree i found there was the Global Finance one which requires 5 years exp though (as in Msc...others were MBAs)...or are you talking about some post work exp degree?
abrp
the only relevant degree i found there was the Global Finance one which requires 5 years exp though (as in Msc...others were MBAs)...or are you talking about some post work exp degree?

Masters in Economics. Have you seen HKUST's campus? It's seriously breathtaking.
prospectivEEconomist
Have you seen HKUST's campus? It's seriously breathtaking.

have you been?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending