The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to manipulate algebra on this thing...
Reply 21
EvenStevens
i'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to manipulate algebra on this thing...

The reality is... you can't.
Reply 22
well i have used this calculator in all my AS Mathematics Exam (Edexcel) except for C1 (duh!) and no one told me not to......but it does to definite integration along with differenciation so it may prove to be very helpful in C4. Well this calculator is not prohibited and the prohibited ones are mention on the front page of the edexcel Maths papers .
Reply 23
.ACS.
The reality is... you can't.

But you can:

On the calculator, Type in X^2 + 3X - 3 = 0 Using the alpha button, the right bracket button and the CALC button And press shift CALC aka solve and then press = button when it says "solve for X?" The answer should be 0.791...
It uses Newtons laws (or something like that)

Harder equations include:
X^2 + 3X - 3 = 2Y^3 - 3Y + 2 , Y (solves this equation with respect to Y but need value for X. Unfortunately cannot input X value being X+1 for eg as this will do the value that is stored in X + 1)
LogxY + e^Y = 6 - Y (which takes a while and will solve qith respect to X as not put ,(term)) (The L-R value for this will give you the accuracy of your answer as it uses numerical methods like in C3)

It is quite funny what pictures you can create with this calculator if bored in the exam with a little imagination.
I find it is best not to rely on these calculators as often harder equations are slow and inputting errors are often common.
Okay, well the first one is just a normal quadratic which most scientifics can do nowadays anyway. You can even use the quadratic solver on the thing and it'll give you the same answer.

The second one isn't algebra manipulation...it's just an equation solver. And even then, you have to know a value of X.

Infact, none of those examples are algebraic manipulation.
They're just... equation solving.
Reply 25
jackbourne
But you can:

On the calculator, Type in X^2 + 3X - 3 = 0 Using the alpha button, the right bracket button and the CALC button And press shift CALC aka solve and then press = button when it says "solve for X?" The answer should be 0.791...
It uses Newtons laws (or something like that)

Harder equations include:
X^2 + 3X - 3 = 2Y^3 - 3Y + 2 , Y (solves this equation with respect to Y but need value for X. Unfortunately cannot input X value being X+1 for eg as this will do the value that is stored in X + 1)
LogxY + e^Y = 6 - Y (which takes a while and will solve qith respect to X as not put ,(term)) (The L-R value for this will give you the accuracy of your answer as it uses numerical methods like in C3)

It is quite funny what pictures you can create with this calculator if bored in the exam with a little imagination.
I find it is best not to rely on these calculators as often harder equations are slow and inputting errors are often common.

What you've described there is numerical, not algebraic... algebraic manipulation means moving around letters and solving something in terms of another unknown term, other algebraic manipulation would be factorising in terms of x or doing algebraic differentiation/integration.
Reply 26
Yeah, I was being an idiot, you're right, they don't do it.
And just for extra confirmation, I e-mailed Casio themselves and got this responce:

Dear Steve

Your enquiry has been forwarded to this department for action.

The answer to your query is the FX991ES and other Casio scientific calculators are suitable for all UK School examinations where a calculator is permitted.

I hope the above is satisfactory, should you need any further assistance, please contact me.

Thank you for your interest in Casio Products.

Branca Castellino
Calculator Division

I think it's official.
Reply 28
Yeah but thats for school. I still believe it would be same though.
...yeah, for schools.

What's your point?

You take A levels at schools <_<

Latest