The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sorry to hear that.
All the best with Edinburgh.
Southampton Eco department is always in clearing, I'm sure they will have you if anything else fails.
smoosabitmega
You've applied for 5 really competitive universities, a lot of people get a lot of rejections in their 5 if they include the likes of Oxford, LSE and Durham. Good luck with edinburgh though and if you don't get it, there's always UCAS Extra starting xxx

i love that song :smile:.

"we fly balloons..."
Reply 23
I wouldn't bother going to any uni outside the top 7 for Economics with AAAB...
Reply 24
v2006
I wouldn't bother going to any uni outside the top 7 for Economics with AAAB...
Might not be your choice, however. High grades are not everything, as plenty of people on here could - and probably did - tell you.
Eco is so hard to get into, top 7 unis probably expect you to have AAAA to be honest.

1 London School of Economics 5*A 508 87% 100
2 University College London 5*A 477 85% 98.3
3 Cambridge 5B 538 91% 97.5
4 Warwick 5*B 483 86% 95.9
5 Nottingham 5A 481 78% 93.8
6 Oxford 5B 538 77% 93.4
7 Bristol

You might just get an offer with AAAB - depend on the subject combination and educational background, as well as GCSEs for LSE especially. I mean Economics is no languages or sciences, the demand for places is very high.
Reply 26
I got an unconditional from Notts and only have 3 A's in maths bio and chem
I was replying to your comment "I wouldn't bother going to any uni outside the top 7 for Economics with AAAB..." which I think is not true. I got the idea you meant apply to 5/7 top unis and leaving onself with no backup - that would be silly.

I am talking about the general trend and obviously they look at applications per se.

Anyway, well done with your offer, is Notts your firm?
Reply 28
If I get rejected by Warwick and Bristol, yep
Warwick likes to keep people waiting and Bristol admissions are a step out of normality with their decisions. I'm waiting to hear from these two as well.
Good luck!
Reply 30
I know I will get rejected because of no FM and Economics. Just waiting for them to reject me so I can apply for accom at notts!
If I were you, I'd work on getting AAAA and re-apply next year. For PPE, you want that A in History, as it's your only real essay subject.
Reply 32
what happens if if you want to apply through extra and youve been predicted ABC when you sent of ucas before 15th jan. can head of year not change it to ABB if you plea with her or is that a no no?
thanks
Reply 33
I don't understand your question. Edit: now I've seen your posts in another thread I do.

You can only apply through Extra if all your choices reject you or you have declined what offers you did get.

You may be annoyed about your predictions, but there's nothing you can do now but wait and see what happens. If it does come to applying through Extra you would be able to ask your referee to provide up-dated information then.

Predicted grades are not the only factor in an application that an admissions tutor takes into account. The PS and the reference are also important. Edit: If you are going to apply through Extra, I would suggest you get your PS checked over in the PS Helpers forum. You may be able to submit an updated PS direct to the university you are applying to through Extra, particularly if you are applying for a different course. You would have to check with the uni concerned to see if they would accept this, but it could be worth a try as I suspect your PS may not have helped you as much as you hoped it would.
Reply 34
4 Offers 1 decline from heartfordshire, I would be depressed if i got 3 or more rejections, like you!
Reply 35
i have only had one reply back so far!? does that bode well or not? i assume it means i'm near the bottom of a "maybe" pile, or just written off as a rejectee and just haven't informed me yet.
I would suggest take a gap year, aim for that A in History, and apply again. Do something really awesome in your gap year and write about it in your personal statement. However, this time take one of those 4 out and put a less competitive university in? Like they do PPE at UEA - a good insurance with AAAB.
Reply 37
matt54
If you do get rejected by Edinburgh, dont fret. Depending on how far off an A you were for history, you could retake 1 or 2 modules to push it up; i'm sure your school could accomodate you, my school let people had had left 2 years previously come in and take modules. Then that will leave you with AAAA and you should be set, just as long as you take the retakes in january. Other than that, i can't see what else you could do unless pick up another A-Level at a college and see if you can end up with AAAAA; that would definitely make you stand out.

Are you idiots? It's not about how many bloody As you can get. It's about you. You have to be the complete package. Like a whole orange with no segments missing. And OP let's be honest you were a bit silly applying to all those universities.
Reply 38
Well the matter of fact is that uni's will more likely take you if you have 4 A's instead of 2.
The whole UCAS process baffles me to know end.
And I cannot believe how damn competative everything is, especially the arts subjects.

You seem like a brilliant candidate: I wish I could offer apt words of consolation....

Latest

Trending

Trending