Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Real life examples of monopoly?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

While I am doing revision for my econs, I cannot really think of real life examples for the 3 market structure Perfect Competitions, Monopoly, Monopolistic com. This is what I can think of, do correct me if I am on the wrong track...

Perfect competitions
    Egg sellers in the wet market selling eggs-Homogenenous product(all eggs are the same)
    -Many buyers, many sellers
    -Free entry and exit
    -Infomation and mobility(sames infos and transportation/delivery)

Monopoly
    Microsoft-Homogenenous product(Window Vista Operating System)
    -One Seller
    -High Barriers to entry
    -Infomation and mobility
    (For this not very sure as...there is also other compettiors of OS like Unix, SUN)

Monopolistic
    Sony Digital-Hetogenous product(camera with sony designs, different from the rest of the retailer)
    -Many sellers, many buyers
    -Free Entry and Exit
    -Infomation and mobility(same)

any help will be appreciated, thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft is not an example of monopoly as you have other OS ,as you mentioned like Linux, Unix. And I don't think there are high barriers to entry also. However I can't think of any other present day example of monopoly. But in the past there was De Beers which had a monopoly in the diamond market till about a decade back when a Israeli competitor(can't remember the name) entered into the scene.
    Your example of monopolistic competition is correct i think. Don't know about your perfect competition example, it could be right. PC usually exists in agricultural products whose prices are fixed by the government.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey alds87, thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. Hmm..kk..at least i am more confident in quotng the examples now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

for monopoly, could you mention (beneficial) drugs?

Ie, drugs to cure certain types of diseases.

There'd be a monopoly on it, since companies like GlaxoSmithKline would search for a cure on some disease, then patent it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Narev, nice to hear frm you. I think you haf a point there. Will take note of that. Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    yes glaxiokilinesmith or whatever it is called is to a certain extent a monopoly, but that is because of government legislation that says you can only make medicine with a license.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Up until recently, The Post Office.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    amazon. google. can be argued to have such market power that this is in effect monopoly power.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any company in "real life" that has > 25% market share is considered a monopoly, so there are lots of examples.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    microsoft had until recently a monopoly on web broswers. but it really depends on your definition of monopoly, some define it as 25% on the market which gives scope for quite a few examples

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2009
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.