The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RedDevils
im hoping for 100 lol, so far i dont think i have anything wrong but i really rushed 5-7 lol so myt of made a silly mistake

I think you said you got 2 for the y coord on Q8. It should be 4, I made the same mistake :frown:
!MEna
I'll be happy with 90+, I'm not too bothered about getting full UMS. I must say though, most people at my school said they found the paper significantly harder than any of the past papers they've done, especially the 2007 series so I've got a feeling the grade boundaries will be lower than last year's if anything.

Yes, 90+ probably would suffice, but ideally I'd like over 95% for AS Maths and Further Maths, so getting a high mark in this would help. I also heard quite a few people saying it was very hard, especially the last question.
Reply 102
from all past papers i done (about 7) that seemed the hardest, might have being due to exam pressure or i don't know...

heres some answers i put down, that i remember off top of head:-

1) 6 + 2root5

2) i) x^2 + y^2 = 49
ii) radios = root64 = 8

3) a = 2, b = 18, c = -17

4) i) p = -1
ii) k = 3
iii) t = 8

5) i) x^3 + 2, transformation of x^3, just move 2 up
ii) just rootx, but like 2 bigger
iii) i put scale factor 1.5, from x axis in y direction :confused:

6) i) -4 +/- root 6
ii) therefore, -4 + root 6 greater than or equal to zero???
-4 - root 6 greater than or equal to zero???
as both where on negative side of axis.

7) i) gradient = -1/2

other questions, cant remember number etc.

stationary points, i got to be
(-1,4) and (1/3, 155/54) i think the 155/54 wrong because i foolishly put 1/3 squared as 1/6 :angry:@@@@@@@@

perpendicular - was NOT perpendicular as gradients multiplied = -1/2, and not -1

last q, double deffrentiated
part 2, i should have ****ing noticed it was hidden quadratic :eek:
i tried to solve by
-9 = 8x^3 + 1/x^3
-729 = 8x^6 + 1
- 728 = 8x^6
-91 = x^6
-x = sixth route of 91
ahhhhhhh 5 marks lost already + silly mistakes

i hope grade boundaries are low, from few ppl i talked to they said its hard so hopefully lots of people ****ed up haha
How many marks were available for the last part of question 7, where you had to find whether AC and BC were perpendicular to each other? I got -1/2 and 1/3 as my gradients, but that last one looks like it should've been 3 - woops. I think I should only lose one mark for it, because I'm pretty sure that my working was right for it, and I concluded that it wasn't perpendicular.
Reply 104
glutamic acid, you have the question paper yeah??

Can you tell me the two points of the one where u had to write the equation of AB. Thanks
RedDevils
glutamic acid, you have the question paper yeah??

Can you tell me the two points of the one where u had to write the equation of AB. Thanks

A(-5, -2) B(3, 1)
Reply 106
these posts sare very ineresting to read
Reply 107
Glutamic Acid
A(-5, -2) B(3, 1)

Thanks a bunch :biggrin:
Reply 108
Glutamic Acid
I think you said you got 2 for the y coord on Q8. It should be 4, I made the same mistake :frown:

nah i got 4 lol i ment 2 and 22/27 as in (2 and 22/27 AKA 76/27) lol
Reply 109
Phew!

Well I thought that it went really badly at the time when I was getting stuff like 76/27 and all the other weird numbers, but this thread has made me feel a lot better.

Also my friends got the same too.

Some stuff I can remember: (in no particular order)

-Near the end, the lines were not perpendicular

-Q3 a=3, b=18, c=-17

-The last question was a quadratic in disguise (substitute for x^3)

-I got -4+/-root6 for one of the earlier ones where you had to sketch the graph that went through (0,10) so both roots were on the -ve x axis Was the quadratic on the last part of this question asking for greater than or less than zero?

-Q8 Stationary points were (-1,4) (max) and (1/2,76/27) (min) x is a decreasing value in between the two.

I was hoping before the exam to finish in the high 90's, if I don't than I, just like everyone else, have no one to blame other than myself; although I felt my prep was adequate.

After reading this thread, that high score seems quite possible:cool: (cautious woo!!)

Zwarovski.
Zwarovski
Phew!

Well I thought that it went really badly at the time when I was getting stuff like 76/27 and all the other weird numbers, but this thread has made me feel a lot better.

Also my friends got the same too.

Some stuff I can remember: (in no particular order)

-Near the end, the lines were not perpendicular

-Q3 a=3, b=18, c=-17

-The last question was a quadratic in disguise (substitute for x^3)

-I got -4+/-root6 for one of the earlier ones where you had to sketch the graph that went through (0,10) so both roots were on the -ve x axis Was the quadratic on the last part of this question asking for greater than or less than zero?

-Q8 Stationary points were (-1,4) (max) and (1/2,76/27) (min) x is a decreasing value in between the two.

I was hoping before the exam to finish in the high 90's, if I don't than I, just like everyone else, have no one to blame other than myself; although I felt my prep was adequate.

After reading this thread, that high score seems quite possible:cool: (cautious woo!!)

Zwarovski.

i think it was asking for greater than zero
Reply 111
good good
I will type in the answers tomorrow - I forgot to bring them home with me tonight! I have posted C2 answers and will post M2 answers later on other threads.
What was the question worth two marks where they asked something like what are the values of x which when applied makes the equation decrease as x increases or something crazy like that?
I've already lost 7 marks :frown:
ohh ye it was the one after you find which one is the minimum and maximum..x
Reply 115
what was the answer to the simultaneous equation?
i got something like
4x^2 - 18x + 21 or something
the thing doesnt factorise and when i used the quadratic equation it came out with bull **** fractions, just like every other question
why cant they just have on question that just uses whole numbers
Reply 116
aint that one something like -1<=x<=1/3

<= means equal to as well
deathrow
what was the answer to the simultaneous equation?
i got something like
4x^2 - 18x + 21 or something
the thing doesnt factorise and when i used the quadratic equation it came out with bull **** fractions, just like every other question
why cant they just have on question that just uses whole numbers

do u remember the question?
8 (iii) For what values of x does x^3 - x^2 - x + 3 decrease as x increases.
I solved dy/dx < 0.
.Adrian.
aint that one something like -1<=x<=1/3

<= means equal to as well

ohh ye thats wat i got!

Latest

Trending

Trending