The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yes, definitely! But I've never been the sort to work really hard and get the highest grades (which is what runs in my family, annoyingly); for my GCSEs, I mainly worked so I could get into 6th form (and do fairly well), and then for my A Levels, I'm working so I can get into university - maybe not the absolute top ones, but good ones nonetheless. I may be applying for a course like Law (which is pretty competitive), but whatever course you want to do I'd say go for it.

I'll put some work in and see how I do in August. Seeing other results does put me off, but we're all individuals and I think we've got to be completely focused on ourselves when it comes to working for our exams - i.e. just focusing on our own work and not others. Also, as has been mentioned, TSR isn't exactly representative of everyone. Whilst there may seem to be a lot of exceptional candidates, we're all different as well, and most of them are here because they want to discuss their education seeing as it's important to them (as well as joining in discussions within other subforums too).
Reply 41
blahbloo
When I do see peoples' grades, I do get competitive. Cos I know they must work like 10 hours a day just to get those good grades. And Im all about the good grades so I work for it. :biggrin:

When I see others' grades, I don't particularly care. When I see my grades, I think of the 'B' in Politics that was one mark from an 'A', the 'B' in Theatre Studies that had been an 'A*', and wish that I'd actually done any work whatsoever.
Reply 42
As long as you try hard and do your best thats all that matters

There will always be someone better

just focus on yourself is the way i see it come what may
Reply 43
when you reach college, GCSE results mean sod all. when you reach uni, a-level results mean bugger all. im happy as long as i feel ive earnt what i get (tho theres nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition!)
I wouldn't worry about everyone elses grades, it's about what you want to achieve in life and not about what everyone else is achieving.
I want to go into Medicine; and im proud of my grades, but saying all this; i went to MEDLINK in december and there were people there with 15 A*s and i did feel a bit disheartened :smile:
Reply 45
Grades unfortunately are important.

Less so for low-mid unis but for the top unis (the ones that will net you jobs quickest generally), every grade counts.

You shouldn't feel discouraged but it's a fact of nature but one of the things it does help you with is deciding whether you're over-aiming or under-aiming.

I'm seeing so many people in my school who have this belief they will get into one of the top 20 Uni's with B/C grades at GCSE and 3 A-Levels. Unlikely to happen.

Ofcourse, rivalry encourages you to do better so you can thank the cleverer people for giving you an initiative to work :wink:

@Ceirnan - with such high quality GCSEs, you shouldn't feel disheartened. As long as you're reaching A's and A*'s for medicine, I can't see the problem.
Reply 46
I do question how so many people on here have such good grades. But I would have thought that some people exaggerated by a grade or two to keep up with other members and look out of place.

A few of the A level choice with grades shown are not exactly great given the A level.
It does make me jealous I must admit, I seem to think that a lot of the students have a good schooling and good parents who encourage them.

As someone who doesn’t work and wants to achieve a lot I do feel disheartened by the fact that other people achieve.
OP - I think it's really important to note that TSR is hardly representative of the student population as a whole. There are an awful lot more conscientious sorts on this forum than you'd be likely to find in the majority of comprehensive schools across the country, so the 'average grades' on TSR reflect that.

Plus, as others have said, the people who have a list of A-grades as long as your arm are likely to advertise their achievements in their signature; those who haven't got stellar grades seem to tend not to.

All in all, I don't think you're getting a very clear picture of 'average grades' on TSR, or 'average grades' across the population, really. So please don't undermine your own achievements based on that kind of misleading evidence: your grades are great. :smile:
Harriellie
TBF, it's not really an excuse. I mean, my boyfriend is public school and he says that they were all spoonfed, but there are plenty of people from state schools that have got all Bs, As, A*s, so...it's just work ethic.

Yeah i know what you mean. But its the people who have all A* and are doing 6 A Levels that i think are the ones who are at private school. As to do all that you need to be either really really clever with out the resources that a private school can give you in terms of teaching and the like. The smartest guy i know only got 4 A* at gcse (although he is a bit off an odd one, Math genius kinda thing, and he does no work. He could get As in 6 subjects at A level if he worked hard but he does no work. Still gets in the upper 90s for most things. Rejected by oxford though, though i doubt he had good interview technique)
Reply 49
If you're referring to mine, well....
Reply 50
yes i agree. btw if you want to know my grades...

GCSE's: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (did these all in one year)
AS: Biology (A) Chemistry (A) Physics (A) Maths (A) Geography (A) Latin (A) Biology (A) Chemistry (A) Physics (A)

I entered the sciences twice because I did two different boards just to see the difference.
Reply 51
o_O at that if it's true :|
regis
yes i agree. btw if you want to know my grades...

GCSE's: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (did these all in one year)
AS: Biology (A) Chemistry (A) Physics (A) Maths (A) Geography (A) Latin (A) Biology (A) Chemistry (A) Physics (A)

I entered the sciences twice because I did two different boards just to see the difference.

absolute bull**** , what you achieve by doing more than one exam board, in fact can you? Your just a wannabe :p:

Infact the idiot quoted in a other thread [I]"I recently applied for dentistry, however I think I have made a mistake in my UCAS application. I took 4 AS-levels however I chose to decline the one I was dropping (as i wanted to improve the grade) and didn't declare it on my ucas form. Now it looks as though I only took 3 AS-levels when I infact took four. I have emailed the universities and am awaiting a response. Would they be able to add Physics AS-level (Edexcel) to my application form and leave the grade as pending. Cheers"

I dont know why i care, but that just shows people lie .. !
I think there's a formula out there that links no. of A*'s with the no of friends. said person has. I'll have a stab at it: "For A* grades > 8, no. of friends = 1/A* grades squared." Probably needs some refining but it'll serve for comparison. :wink: I might have a theory :p:

But back to reality, I only care about getting the entry requirements for my chosen Unis which is enough since they're fairly decent in comparison to others like Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, King's, etc., etc. I have no intention of applying to these sorts of places anyway, even if I managed to get something extraordinary like 15 As at Advanced Higher. Students who are getting amazing results - like 5 As at A-level - usually are compensating for their distinct lack of any interpersonal skills. If a person has fantastic academic results then I sincerely hope they can brag about it to their friend. Apart from that, no, I don't feel discouraged.
Reply 54
absolute bull**** , what you achieve by doing more than one exam board, in fact can you? Your just a wannabe

Infact the idiot quoted in a other thread "I recently applied for dentistry, however I think I have made a mistake in my UCAS application. I took 4 AS-levels however I chose to decline the one I was dropping (as i wanted to improve the grade) and didn't declare it on my ucas form. Now it looks as though I only took 3 AS-levels when I infact took four. I have emailed the universities and am awaiting a response. Would they be able to add Physics AS-level (Edexcel) to my application form and leave the grade as pending. Cheers"

I dont know why i care, but that just shows people lie .. !

mate it was a joke!! seriously why would anyone do it, just wanted to get my view across
billyboymccoy
Yeah i know what you mean. But its the people who have all A* and are doing 6 A Levels that i think are the ones who are at private school. As to do all that you need to be either really really clever with out the resources that a private school can give you in terms of teaching and the like. The smartest guy i know only got 4 A* at gcse (although he is a bit off an odd one, Math genius kinda thing, and he does no work. He could get As in 6 subjects at A level if he worked hard but he does no work. Still gets in the upper 90s for most things. Rejected by oxford though, though i doubt he had good interview technique)

You are right, it's easier to get higher grades, but a lot of people at my college all have similar grades (state, but quite...academic) no matter what school they came from.
I have to agree with you there, Stevo. A girl I know is amazing at all of her subjects, and she spends all of her time working. She's very nice, but is rather lacking socially. There have been many times when I've wished that I was as good at maths and the sciences as her, but is it really worth it?

Then again, she'll probably end up in Oxbridge and yes, then it will be worth it! Lol.

Oh, and concerning the whole State School/Private School thing, I went to a state school and am going to a state Sixth Form, and our school is generally known for shortness of skirts, lack of facilities and high teenage pregnancy rate and smoking. Despite that, all of my close friends as well as several other people I know did do very well at GCSE's, and they will probably continue this on to A-level.

At the end of the day, although bad teaching and facilities can have a negative difference, if you're ready to work for it, you'll still be able to achieve to the best of your abilities no matter where you go. Alternatively, if you go to a private school, that doesn't automatically mean that you're going to do well. It's all up to the individual.
I'm awful socially, and it's not because I spend all my time working. So I might as well having something going for me.
Reply 58
Glutamic Acid
I'm awful socially, and it's not because I spend all my time working. So I might as well having something going for me.

I'm the opposite - I'm way too sociable and find it difficult to fit everything in. And I also got the same GCSE results as you, pretty much. I blame lack of awareness and understanding that GCSEs were actually really important - yeah I should've realised it myself, but we were just encouraged to get into 6th form, let alone get all A*s!
Ash06
I'm the opposite - I'm way too sociable and find it difficult to fit everything in. And I also got the same GCSE results as you, pretty much. I blame lack of awareness and understanding that GCSEs were actually really important - yeah I should've realised it myself, but we were just encouraged to get into 6th form, let alone get all A*s!

Ditto. My head of teacher actually said that as long as I got 5 A*-Cs then my GCSEs wouldn't matter. To be honest, if I'd had an idea of what the top candidates would be achieving then I'd probably have been motivated through my semi-competitiveness.

Latest