The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol you shouldav seen the oxford interviews!!! i was alright at GCSE but it was like everyone was walking round with 300/300 at AS an i only scraped my As. was a tad scared like!
*ellen marine*
OP - I think it's really important to note that TSR is hardly representative of the student population as a whole. There are an awful lot more conscientious sorts on this forum than you'd be likely to find in the majority of comprehensive schools across the country, so the 'average grades' on TSR reflect that.

Plus, as others have said, the people who have a list of A-grades as long as your arm are likely to advertise their achievements in their signature; those who haven't got stellar grades seem to tend not to.

All in all, I don't think you're getting a very clear picture of 'average grades' on TSR, or 'average grades' across the population, really. So please don't undermine your own achievements based on that kind of misleading evidence: your grades are great. :smile:

That's exactly what I said, and I got negative rep for it!
curiouslyorange1989
lol you shouldav seen the oxford interviews!!! i was alright at GCSE but it was like everyone was walking round with 300/300 at AS an i only scraped my As. was a tad scared like!

And I bet you couldn't give a **** now :wink:
Reply 63
Glutamic Acid
Ditto. My head of teacher actually said that as long as I got 5 A*-Cs then my GCSEs wouldn't matter. To be honest, if I'd had an idea of what the top candidates would be achieving then I'd probably have been motivated through my semi-competitiveness.

I'm pretty much the same. But ah well, don't feel too discouraged - there's not an awful lot we can do now except try our very best (which you're probably doing). :smile:
Ash06
I'm pretty much the same. But ah well, don't feel too discouraged - there's not an awful lot we can do now except try our very best (which you're probably doing). :smile:

Yes, hindsight, very annoying. Good luck in your ASs. :smile:
I don't really mind. The only thing I try to concentrate on is doing my best, and I'm very happy with my grades.

I've just decided recently I'm really going to push myself now. :smile:

It upsets me when people treat me differentely because of my grades.
Glutamic Acid
And I bet you couldn't give a **** now :wink:

haha damn rights! they can take their perfect maths scores and shove em :biggrin::biggrin:

lol no really am not a arrogant prick i just walk talk act and type like one :frown: :frown:
Reply 67
It doesn't matter what people get the main aim should be what you get and how you can get it. Obviously some of us feel down when we see we haven't quiet achieved what we wanted. But the main thing is be proud of what you have and who you are. At the end of the day we're all different and will have different abilities. One of might be good at things academicaly but not in other ways while for someone else its the opposite.
jess_17_07
I don't really mind. The only thing I try to concentrate on is doing my best, and I'm very happy with my grades.

I've just decided recently I'm really going to push myself now. :smile:

It upsets me when people treat me differentely because of my grades.

Yeah, it's a good idea to push yourself if you can feel you can do more. I'm teaching myself C3 and C4 for fun.

It's quite shocking people treat you differently because of your grades. :s-smilie:
Reply 69
If it makes you all feel worse.

Kid in my school got 13 A*'s and has a thriving social life (well...if you consider alcohol, girls and nights out thriving).

The simple matter is - some of us have it naturally, some of us have to work for it and some of us just don't have it.
poptheglock
the worst thing is when people here have something like mostly A*/As and 1 or 2 B grades and say they've done "really crap" and should have done better.
no offence, but go to hell.

Hmm. Are you differentiating (not in a maths sense) between saying grades are 'really crap' and saying they 'should've done better'?
Reply 71
[QUOTE="tIT4tOe"]absolute bull**** , what you achieve by doing more than one exam board, in fact can you? Your just a wannabe :p:

Infact the idiot quoted in a other thread "I recently applied for dentistry, however I think I have made a mistake in my UCAS application. I took 4 AS-levels however I chose to decline the one I was dropping (as i wanted to improve the grade) and didn't declare it on my ucas form. Now it looks as though I only took 3 AS-levels when I infact took four. I have emailed the universities and am awaiting a response. Would they be able to add Physics AS-level (Edexcel) to my application form and leave the grade as pending. Cheers"

I dont know why i care, but that just shows people lie .. !

We know.
Glutamic Acid
Yeah, it's a good idea to push yourself if you can feel you can do more. I'm teaching myself C3 and C4 for fun.

It's quite shocking people treat you differently because of your grades. :s-smilie:

Lets just say that someone I know has been a bit dodgy with me ever since I got my GCSE results... :s-smilie:
ack depends what your personal goals are and how adept you are at putting your foot in it. persoanlly for me at gcse a b would have been a fail because that wasnt my goal, but i wasnt about to be a numpty and tell anyone that because i know theres loads of people who would really like Bs in stuff. you gotto go for whatever is best for you at the end of the day and let the grade snobs (both top end and inverted) get aids and die.
poptheglock
I mean when people say "oh, I got a couple of Bs, how crap, I should have done better and got A*s". I can't see why people can't just be happy with what they have and have to strive for unrealistic perfection all the bloody time.

I see what you're saying and I partly agree. I don't think there's any problem in striving for perfection, providing they accept it's not guaranteed.

Your GCSEs are great btw, I know I can't really speak for you but you shouldn't be disappointed.

It's all relative though. I know looking at the population as a whole they're pretty good, but in comparison to other applicants at top universities they're below average.
Reply 75
Has anyone noticed how they do your expected grades for A2 is ****ed too?

I got predicted 3 A's / 2 B's at A-level with my GCSE results. A kid who does near same subjects got a couple of A*'s less than me (got A's instead) and had his predicted grades put right down to 5 B's.
Reply 76
poptheglock
the worst thing is when people here have something like mostly A*s and 1 or 2 A or B grades and say they've done "really crap" and should have done better.
no offence, but die
there's something horrible going on if only getting A & B grades at GCSE is considered "crap".
and the person on the last page who had an amalgamation of A*s + As and said they felt disheartened meeting people with 15 A*s? Get over it, there's always going to be someone better than you. Harsh but true.

I still chide myself for achieving five 'A*'s; not because I sought to do better than anybody else, but because I lapsed two grades in what should've been my sixth. I chide myself for 'AAB' because I was capable of 'AAA'. Notwithstanding the potential, practical repercussions of either: my re-applying to Bristol for English Literature (were I so inclined) with 'AAB' would, given the current climate, be an exercise in futility.

But then, were I remotely ambitious to begin with, the requisite motivation should've been inherent; as it is, I revised three subjects for GCSE, none at A-Level, and that was that. (Speaking as someone for whom 'perfection', had I aspired to it, would not have been deemed unrealistic.)

As you imply: there's always going to be someone better, earning more, at a more prestigious university; but when you aspire to what they have, and sense that the difference between you is one of opportunity or sheer luck, it's difficult not to feel disenfranchised.
poptheglock
Maybe so, but why should it matter?

Because that's ultimately the purpose of my GCSEs. I certainly didn't get any personal gratification of them considering I didn't do any work.

This is the thing, people constantly compare themselves to each other and it's not needed. As long as you're happy with what you achieve and you do what you want to do, why should you give a expletive about anyone else?

But the question is if you're happy with them. And also the word 'achieve'. At the start of my GCSEs I was predicted all A*s, which I thought was unrealistic at the time. Needless to say, I feel well short, but it's only in hindsight that I realize they weren't too unrealistic with a moderate amount of hard work.
Reply 78
Profesh
As you say: there's always going to be someone better, earning more, at a more prestigious university...
I am yet to find such a person. Perhaps it's just me.
Profesh
I still chide myself for achieving five 'A*'s; not because I sought to do better than anybody else, but because I lapsed two grades in what should've been my sixth. I chide myself for 'AAB' because I was capable of 'AAA'. Notwithstanding the potential, practical repercussions of either: my re-applying to Bristol for English Literature (were I so inclined) with 'AAB' would, given the current climate, be an exercise in futility.
But then, were I remotely ambitious to begin with, the requisite motivation would've been inherent; as it is, I revised three subjects for GCSE, none at A-Level, and that was that. (Speaking as someone for whom 'perfection', had I aspired to it, would not have been deemed unrealistic.)

As you say: there's always going to be someone better, earning more, at a more prestigious university; but when you aspire to what they have, and feel that the difference between you is one of luck, it's difficult not to feel disenfranchised.

Bristol - English and Philosophy - AAB - you know you want to :wink:

Latest