The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

poptheglock
What did you get...?

8 A*s and 4 As

I know they're good but they're not outstanding, so it just annoys me a bit. :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Cexy
I am yet to find such a person. Perhaps it's just me.

Well, there's always one.
Reply 82
The Macabre Vincent Price...
Bristol - English and Philosophy - AAB - you know you want to :wink:

Now; just because I'm not at Bristol doesn't mean that I'm never in Bristol. :wink:
Harriellie
That's exactly what I said, and I got negative rep for it!

You did?! Weird.

I kind of agree with what Profesh said somewhere up there ^ ... I had 5A*s at GCSE, but was close to having two more (one in Welsh, where I couldn't be bothered to hand in the last piece of coursework, so that was obviously all my fault; the other in Art, where I had 96% and needed 97% for the A*, so there wasn't really much extra I could have done, heh). And then at A-level, I had AAB which would have been AAA had I not stubbornly ignored the specifications for Art because I didn't like them. So, looking back, I'm annoyed with the grades I got.. not because they're 'rubbish', or because they don't match up to some other people's, but because I know I could have quite easily done better. But.. such was the person I was a few years ago: lazy and stubborn. *shrugs*

So yeah.. I wouldn't always take offence when people say "I've got rubbish grades" when they have a bunch of As and A*s - admittedly it's not a very sensitive thing to say, but they may just be berating themselves personally and not realise they're upsetting other people by saying that.
poptheglock
oh, for the love of... no offence, but get a hold of yourself. they're absolutely brilliant.

why the hell is this person being dodgy with you?

lol thankyou :smile: but of course I know people do better, and I'm fine with that.

I don't know why they are being dodgy, perhaps jealousy but I'd like to think not. It could be for another reason, but to be honest it's getting better now so it's fine. :smile:
Reply 85
awww @thread starter....trust me i have a lil jealousy in me when mt friends get better grades its a norm....i personally think no ones perfect and like the other person said ...people who achieve really high grades must work at it for hours on end if you feel thats the grades you want then you'll need to work much harder, but personally don't try and become someone your not your gonna be wasting your time and every1's time be who you are if your an A student then stick with it be proud!!!.....

p.s i ain't even gonna lie when i get really good grades i tend to show it off wouldn't you?!.....lol plus your only young once why waste it coop'd up in your bedroom reading for hours on end...personally id say enjoy yourself your getting stressed over something thats isn't really something to stress about
Reply 86
What everyone fails to realize when they've only recently got their GCSE or A Level results (or even their degree result) is that in 2-3 years time nobody will pay the slightest bit of attention to them.

By all means give yourselves a pat on the back, or go flagellate yourself if that's your thing, but try to keep in mind that caring about your grades is a pretty transitory experience.
Reply 87
makes me feel encouraged than discouraged..... lol I guess the glass is half full. =p
poptheglock
Yeah, he/she sounds as if they need a good slap around the face to be honest.

The only thing I feel discouraged about here is finding that people are berating themselves for getting clearly outstanding grades, instead choosing to focus on "I should/could have done this and that..." Why? Why do you torture yourselves when it's done and there's nothing you can do about it now? Yes, you could have got such and such... but you didn't. What do you do? You move on to whatever's next and strive to better yourself in that area.

I don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but I find it very sad. I don't understand. Maybe I'm in the wrong place.

Well.. being annoyed with not achieving my potential back when I did my A-levels has definitely made me a lot more conscientious with the A-level I'm taking now, as I don't want to run the risk of feeling disappointed with myself again. So it has actually had a positive effect.. though obviously if you're purely focusing on the past, and not applying the experience to your current situation, that's not going to get you very far. :smile:
Reply 89
everyone brags about them on here but to be fair they must have worked blummin hard for them hehe but yea i did feel like i had good grades until i saw every1's AAAAAAAAAA this site does depress you sometimes! but you have amazing results!! :smile: well done!
grades arent that matter tho tbf, my dad didnt do A levels and he has a top job earning way more than any1 with a degree, you just need confidence and good peoples skills
poptheglock
people are berating themselves for getting clearly outstanding grades, instead choosing to focus on "I should/could have done this and that..." Why? Why do you torture yourselves when it's done and there's nothing you can do about it now? Yes, you could have got such and such... but you didn't. What do you do? You move on to whatever's next and strive to better yourself in that area.

I don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but I find it very sad. I don't understand. Maybe I'm in the wrong place.

I agree, and I'm really happy with my results, although I was 1% away from getting 2 more A*s, which was a tad annoying. :p:

I'm talking more about pushing myself in AS and A-Level, not just for grades but to get a real understanding of my subjects. :smile:

And to read more politics books. :p:
*Ariel*
everyone brags about them on here but to be fair they must have worked blummin hard for them hehe but yea i did feel like i had good grades until i saw every1's AAAAAAAAAA this site does depress you sometimes! but you have amazing results!! :smile: well done!
grades arent that matter tho tbf, my dad didnt do A levels and he has a top job earning way more than any1 with a degree, you just need confidence and good peoples skills

Erm.. how is that possible? Surely you mean 'earning way more than many people with a degree'. A large proportion of the top-earners in this country have a degree of some description. What does he do, out of interest?
To bo honest, I'm not interested in working for the moment. I'm not particularly interested in the job prospects for a degree (providing there's some), but merely the degree itself.
Reply 93
I'll tell you what does annoy me. People who can't stop harping on about it, or actually trying to belittle people because of thier grades. I also can't stand people that get A's and then mope around moaning that they didn't get A*'s, to people that tried really hard and only managed B's etc. Its like they get satisfaction out it somehow, makes them think they're 'better'.

TBH if its just in sigs and stuff thats cool, but arrogance I can't stand.
Bugzy

The simple matter is - some of us have it naturally, some of us have to work for it and some of us just don't have it.

Seriously that is applicable to me!:frown: ! I actually was conceited enough to believe in regards to my attainment in gcse and AS, my grades were rather mediocre but now I recognise my flawed perception; they are considerably worse than that!!!:frown:
Reply 95
Profesh
Well, there's always one.
It's tough at the top.
Reply 96
poptheglock
And people who have the units and marks for each course they've done in their signature can actually GTFO.
When I see someone with their grades in their signature I can't decide how much of my emotional response to devote to 'comical' and how much to 'pitiable'.
poptheglock
I just saw some bloke who has all of his Key Stage results in his signature...

There is no other word to describe it:

Grim.
Have you every seen anyones else's certificate but your own?

I've haven't apart from my sister's and brother's.
My parents have never anyones apart from their brother's and sister's.

Don't put too much faith in what people say, OP, until you see the printed paper.

Grades aren't the be all and end. It's a long life kid.
My sisters barely scrapped 4/5 higher (we sit five highers in Scotland) passes in her fifth year yet she got into law; got her degree; applied for medicine and graduated.

She's now a doctor in FY2.

Have faith mate, like I said; it's a long life.
Completely. My grades aren't bad, but when I see some other people's, and especially their AS module scores, I just feel so utterly useless.

Latest