The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Weird question. I would say B again, because those externalities are not represented in the price of the good in question.

Market equilibrium is at the cross between MPB and MPC, in this case MSB>MPB as it is a positive externality. The Pareto optimal equilibrium is at a higher price and output than in reality.

In AS terms, if you included the externality, the supply curve would be shifted to the right. THE PRODUCER IS NOT PRODUCING ENOUGH AS THE INCENTIVE FUNCTION HAS FAILED.
Reply 41
B i would say
Reply 42
it cant be A because thats just the incentive function of prices. And i think B is wrong aswell because positive ext is a good thing. I dont have the answers but ive got a feeling its D. To be honest even im unsure
Reply 43
That's the thing though. Market failure can exist with positive externalities.

Not enough is supplied, because producers don't have enough incentive, which is where the market fails.
Reply 44
mate it is B, just saw it in my book. It said that Market failure is likely to occur when there are externalities. Either negative/positive i don't know, but i am taking externalities as a general thing.
Reply 45
yeh definately externalities is a bad thing, but i thought positive was a good thing. Oh well, let me ask someone
Reply 46
prash_s90
yeh definitely externalities is a bad thing, but i thought positive was a good thing. Oh well, let me ask someone

yh that is what i was thinking mate, but guest the book proved me wrong.:rolleyes:
Reply 47
roll on the next question even though i don't have jan exams, just a bit of practice.
Reply 48
No, because the positive externalities are not exploited by the supplier. They are under-producing, which is a bad thing. It is hard to get your head around I know :p:

This was what I was trying to explain before:

Reply 49
a small firm is able to buy any amount of raw mat on world markets at the same price. This means that it faces a perfectly

a) elastic demand curve for raw mat
b) inelastic demand curve for the raw mat
c) elastic supply curve for the raw mat
d) inelastic supply curve for the raw mat

time starts nowww
Reply 50
yes you seem right there...now i know where i went wrong last year lol
Reply 51
A i think, but not too sure
Reply 52
02mik_e
A i think, but not too sure

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Reply 53
thought so, therefore it is d or b, going for d
Reply 54
It's perfecty elastic supply. Think about the graph. The price is the same at every quantity. So it is a horizontal line.

Wow, never realised that was animated :cool:
Reply 55
rja has got it in one....correct answer is C
Reply 56
ok now i got to revise for other subjects lol...ille post some more june 07 Q later...revise hard!
Reply 57
Just to add some explanation about perfectly elastic supply.

As soon as this firm buys the raw materials (essentially reducing supply), producers can IMMEDIATELY increase their supply and/or new businesses can IMMEDIATELY enter the market to bring the supply (and therefore price) back to the original point.

This is linked with Perfect Competition in Unit 5, which is a pretty interesting topic. :wink:
Got all the same answers as RJA. woop woop!
Reply 59
Here's a question I've just got wrong:

A good is in composite demand when

A it is demanded for two or more distinct uses.
B the demand for the good is the result of the demand for another good.
C it is bought together with another good.
D it is a substitute for another good.

Latest

Trending

Trending