The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

House Hunting 2008: Help and Advice?

Hi,

I am a first year just about to start house-hunting but am stressed out by the whole situation. My current housemates have asked me to live with them but I've got friends who have asked me too. I like these people better than my current housemates, but I don't know if I want to live with them. One of my friends has a girlfriend who wants to move in. I like her but I don't know if we can all live together, and what if they break up? Also, which are the best landlords? I want a modern house, any ideas!?
I'm mainly replying to this because of your username: At The Drive-In are one of my favourite bands, haha.

I was in a similar position back in early 2006. I ended up choosing not to live with my current flatmates and moved in with friends, two of whom were a couple. We all got on really well before we moved in together but by the time we move out, only two of us (of 4) still speak. The couple thing was a issue for me after a while, not because they broke up but because I felt a bit left out when they just kept to themselves. In response to that I ended up being more solitary and avoided them and it just let to a meltdown. Not everyone's experience is like this though so don't be entirely put off. I'd just say make sure your housemates are easygoing and laid back and you're not likely to fall out about little things. Make sure you have good communication (because believe me, you don't know them at all until you're all living together) and it should be okay.

As for landlords: go with Unipol. They're the official university student housing association and landlords can sign up with them. To be a Unipol landlord you have to adhere to a code of standards that exist solely to protect students from the dodgy rip-off merchants (Park Lane, Your Student Home, etc etc, neither of whom are registered with Unipol). They also have a "Gold Landlord" thing which is for landlords who haven't had a complaint in 3 years. My landlord last year had this and he was really good - anytime we had a problem he was there the next day (or even the same day) and was always in contact making sure things were okay. I'm with Your Student Home this year (not by choice) and the best thing they've done for me is tell me I didn't give them my rent cheques in advance (I did) and then not answer my frantic calls and emails for a week, only to tell me "oh, we do have them actually, sorry" when I finally got through.

Anyway, Unipol is at http://www.unipol.leeds.ac.uk and starts tomorrow (you can't search till then I believe). I'd strongly reccomend using it - the landlords will be backed up by an agreement designed to protect you and your money won't be getting nabbed: Unipol reccomends a deposit amount of £165 (well, that's how much it was in 2006) which is what my landlord last year charged. This year it was £250 and Park Lane charge £300+ - don't stand for that.

In terms of the actual househunting process: be wary of "salesmen"-esque people trying to get you to sign things or take copies of the contract etc. They'll try to worry you into signing up by saying the place will sell - don't listen, there's a surplus of housing in Leeds and they need you more than you need them. I remember looking round houses with no double glazing as the smarmy guy was like "You don't really need double glazing anyway, do you?" or houses with a bathroom cultivating a nice patch of mould where the guy just ignores it or says "Obviously houses will be professionally cleaned before you move in" - probably untrue. Be wary, they're all smiles now but afterwards things get dirty.

If places want you to pay a 'signing fee' when you do get contracts, again, be wary. Unipol doesn't do this so you're basically just giving them money for free that they don't even have to refund you with.

In terms of areas, these are the most popular locations:

Hyde Park: You probably already know this area, it's everywhere beyond the large park before uni. It's got a laid back 'alternative' vibe: there's a really good little rock club and various cosy pubs and bars, as well as lots of takeaways and shops. It's usually described as 'bohemian' and you'll usually see students with dreadlocks and baggy jeans wandering around. Houses are mostly Victorian terraces and crime is quite high.

Headingley: The yin to Hyde Park's yang. It's a bit more affluent and posh, with nicer houses and decor. Some upmarket bars and restaurants/shops but still lots of students. Higher rent though and it's further from uni, but a lower crime rate.

Woodhouse: Closest of the three to uni but puts off some students because of its reputation as a 'ghetto'. I live here now and while it's rumoured to be bad, I've never had any trouble. There have been muggings and attacks in recent years though, but then the same is true for Hyde Park. Houses are cheap and the closeness to uni is good, although I miss my Hyde Park friends sometimes.

There are other areas but these are the most popular ones.

If you wanna see what Leeds students rated the best landlords, there's a list here: http://www.luuonline.com/house_hunting#a4 (it's from 2006 but still useful). I can only keep saying: don't be tempted by the ones "everyone's going with" that look all flash and have plasma screens in the office (Park Lane, I'm looking at you). How do you think they afford it all?! Places like that are notorious for deposit scams and since they have so many houses the service quality is diluted. Getting a place with a smaller landlord means a more personal service which is useful when your gas dies out in the middle of December.

Hope this was useful and if anyone else has questions, ask away.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
^Cheers for that advice!

It looks like im going to be living in an 8 person house - is that a complete recipe for disaster?
I dunno, I've always had 4 person houses. I guess it's a different dynamic, you probably won't all hang out together too frequently so I guess there'll be variety, rather than just the same little group of you each time getting a bit sick of the sight of each other, hah. As long as there's enough bathrooms/kitchens per person, should be okay!
We started house hunting before LUU recommended we should...im a first year btw.

I lvie with 9 at the moment so we knew we liked living in a big group so we have just signed for an 8 bed house yesterday because when we started looking alot of the places we liked had gone already and while we were paying our deposits two other groups of 8 said they wanted the house so my advice is be quick...you need someone out of your group to take charge or things wont get done.
I agree that you need to be decisive and someone should take charge but I really wouldn't say "be quick", so much as "be careful". Unipol is up today, everyone should take a look!

http://www.unipol.leeds.ac.uk/leeds/
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll end up living with my mates. I know that I have at least another person in the house, so I should be ok. Then the friend and gf can have their own space and time too. There would be just 4 of us. Has that number worked for you other times, guitarromantic? (thanks for huge advice, and brownie points for catching ATDI reference: I assumed people would think I had a hula-hoop self harm problem!!). I have another mate who is unsure so I might suggest a 5, which could be a better number. I think they're pretty laid-back, and communication should be easy. It seems really sad that friends stop speaking after living with each other, I would HATE that to happen. I hope you all start speaking eventually, seems like a sad way to remember a year. I'll have a look at Unipol. We're gonna start looking soon... Cheers
One quick thing...do not sign with Pads...(formerly known as rent-me.) They can easily draw you in if you're after a modern house as to be fair to them, their interiors are quite good but they are an absolute shambles! We're having to move between 2nd and 3rd year which is a right pain, would have been nice to have been settled but we're so unhappy with them that we're moving.
Reply 8
Okay slightly off the mark question but have any previous 2nd years/3rd etc. moved in with someone who is NOT a student (i.e. the non-student would be liable to pay for council tax).

The whole notion of "student housing" and UNIPOL gives me the impression that landlords are specifically looking for students :tongue: Does it/would it affect a landlord if you said that a non student would be moving in also? (The law with council tax is quite complicated about who would be the most liable tenant)

I would appreciate if anyone with any experiences of moving into student accom. with a non student could give me some info, through this topic or private messaging (Just the one non student would be more appropriate to my situation, and I'm aware about the 25% discount of council tax if it's 1 non student living with students :smile:)

Cheers! xD
I live with a non-student, he's 27, and since the rest of us are all students we get a 33% deduction (or something?). The way we worked it out between us is that the rest of us chip in a fiver a month so it's more fair.

I don't think the landlords really mind as long as you're aware about the tax implications. They just want people in their rooms.
It's all about filling the rooms and collecting the money for them landlords eh :biggrin: I never would have guessed.

Cheers for the response anyway :wink:
If that wasn't the response you were after then I'm not sure what else you wanted to know - you're already aware of the council tax stuff which is probably the biggest issue in this situation.
Nah it was exactly the response I was after, ignore my sarcastic stigma I have associating landlords thinking about nothing except money :tongue:
guitarromantic
I'm mainly replying to this because of your username: At The Drive-In are one of my favourite bands, haha.

I was in a similar position back in early 2006. I ended up choosing not to live with my current flatmates and moved in with friends, two of whom were a couple. We all got on really well before we moved in together but by the time we move out, only two of us (of 4) still speak. The couple thing was a issue for me after a while, not because they broke up but because I felt a bit left out when they just kept to themselves. In response to that I ended up being more solitary and avoided them and it just let to a meltdown. Not everyone's experience is like this though so don't be entirely put off. I'd just say make sure your housemates are easygoing and laid back and you're not likely to fall out about little things. Make sure you have good communication (because believe me, you don't know them at all until you're all living together) and it should be okay.

As for landlords: go with Unipol. They're the official university student housing association and landlords can sign up with them. To be a Unipol landlord you have to adhere to a code of standards that exist solely to protect students from the dodgy rip-off merchants (Park Lane, Your Student Home, etc etc, neither of whom are registered with Unipol). They also have a "Gold Landlord" thing which is for landlords who haven't had a complaint in 3 years. My landlord last year had this and he was really good - anytime we had a problem he was there the next day (or even the same day) and was always in contact making sure things were okay. I'm with Your Student Home this year (not by choice) and the best thing they've done for me is tell me I didn't give them my rent cheques in advance (I did) and then not answer my frantic calls and emails for a week, only to tell me "oh, we do have them actually, sorry" when I finally got through.

Anyway, Unipol is at http://www.unipol.leeds.ac.uk and starts tomorrow (you can't search till then I believe). I'd strongly reccomend using it - the landlords will be backed up by an agreement designed to protect you and your money won't be getting nabbed: Unipol reccomends a deposit amount of £165 (well, that's how much it was in 2006) which is what my landlord last year charged. This year it was £250 and Park Lane charge £300+ - don't stand for that.

In terms of the actual househunting process: be wary of "salesmen"-esque people trying to get you to sign things or take copies of the contract etc. They'll try to worry you into signing up by saying the place will sell - don't listen, there's a surplus of housing in Leeds and they need you more than you need them. I remember looking round houses with no double glazing as the smarmy guy was like "You don't really need double glazing anyway, do you?" or houses with a bathroom cultivating a nice patch of mould where the guy just ignores it or says "Obviously houses will be professionally cleaned before you move in" - probably untrue. Be wary, they're all smiles now but afterwards things get dirty.

If places want you to pay a 'signing fee' when you do get contracts, again, be wary. Unipol doesn't do this so you're basically just giving them money for free that they don't even have to refund you with.

In terms of areas, these are the most popular locations:

Hyde Park: You probably already know this area, it's everywhere beyond the large park before uni. It's got a laid back 'alternative' vibe: there's a really good little rock club and various cosy pubs and bars, as well as lots of takeaways and shops. It's usually described as 'bohemian' and you'll usually see students with dreadlocks and baggy jeans wandering around. Houses are mostly Victorian terraces and crime is quite high.

Headingley: The yin to Hyde Park's yang. It's a bit more affluent and posh, with nicer houses and decor. Some upmarket bars and restaurants/shops but still lots of students. Higher rent though and it's further from uni, but a lower crime rate.

Woodhouse: Closest of the three to uni but puts off some students because of its reputation as a 'ghetto'. I live here now and while it's rumoured to be bad, I've never had any trouble. There have been muggings and attacks in recent years though, but then the same is true for Hyde Park. Houses are cheap and the closeness to uni is good, although I miss my Hyde Park friends sometimes.

There are other areas but these are the most popular ones.

If you wanna see what Leeds students rated the best landlords, there's a list here: http://www.luuonline.com/house_hunting#a4 (it's from 2006 but still useful). I can only keep saying: don't be tempted by the ones "everyone's going with" that look all flash and have plasma screens in the office (Park Lane, I'm looking at you). How do you think they afford it all?! Places like that are notorious for deposit scams and since they have so many houses the service quality is diluted. Getting a place with a smaller landlord means a more personal service which is useful when your gas dies out in the middle of December.

Hope this was useful and if anyone else has questions, ask away.

Me and my group have just signed with DEU Estates... I hope they're ok! They did charge an extortionate admin fee but we had seen so many houses and we knew what we wanted... oh well. Lol.

xxx

Latest