The Student Room Group

So You've Been KICKED OUT of Oxbridge, and Not Because of Your Exam Results........

Basically me and my friends were having this discussion in the common room today, after one had there cousin kicked out of Oxford for failing modules or some sort.....

So just out of interest what reasons have you heard of or know of where people have been kicked out?.....

Obviously there is the failing the course route but just for conversations sake what have other reasons been lol?.....

I would think going through the whole Oxbridge process of interviewing/working your ass off to meet conditions/sending in work etc, you would be on your BEST behaviour whilst there lol......

Discuss/Tell.......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People tend to get rusticated (read: suspended) for disciplinary things. This has happened for possessing cannabis, for hacking into university computers, punching the dean and for setting off fire extinguishers in recent memory. I'm sure there are many other things though. They have to be quite serious to warrant it.

To get sent down (read: expelled) you'd have to do something pretty extreme, probably a criminal offense. It's far more common to be kicked out for academic reasons, and even that requires failing exams and retakes.
Drogue
People tend to get rusticated (read: suspended) for disciplinary things. This has happened for possessing cannabis, for hacking into university computers, punching the dean and for setting off fire extinguishers in recent memory. I'm sure there are many other things though. They have to be quite serious to warrant it.

To get sent down (read: expelled) you'd have to do something pretty extreme, probably a criminal offense. It's far more common to be kicked out for academic reasons, and even that requires failing exams and retakes.

Someone punched the dean :s-smilie:

Goes to show intelligence doesn't always warrent common sense or good behaviour lol.
^^^^^

LMAO!!! punched the dean!!! you have any idea what the reason for this was or was it just a REALLY costly drunken mistake lol.....
Reply 4
My friend's uncle's friends (you know its true) were kicked out for climbing on the roof of one of the colleges chapels. Not Kings I don't think..... This was a few years ago though
Reply 5
Hardly anyone gets kicked out for entirely disciplinary reasons (in fact I can't think of anyone), although sometimes they are a contributing factor combined with poor academic results.

If you're doing okay academically, you'd have to do something pretty extreme to get yourself sent down. They have many other disciplinary options available to them, for example chucking the student out of college accommodation, banning them from parts of the college (e.g. the bar or formal hall), rustication, and imposing substantial fines - all of which I have known people be subject to.
Reply 6
Apparently someone was kicked out of Magdalen accommodation as opposed to Magdalen itself for pooing in a bath tub a couple of years ago.
Reply 7
oh god- isnt magdalen a girls' college??
Reply 8
This thread caught my eye and I have no purpose being here really but
I expect flogging drugs etc could warrant expulsion...
shagging a professor?
T.K.B
oh god- isnt magdalen a girls' college??

No, there aren't any all girls colleges at Oxford and the only ones at Cambridge are Newnham and Newhall. (Lucy Cavendish as well, but I think that's a mature student college.)
Reply 11
I very much doubt having a relationship with a fellow would warrant disciplinary action. Perhaps for the fellow, but certainly not the student.
Lou76854
shagging a professor?

Nope - until last year cambs had no policy on that whatsover. And, I might add, if someone is going to get kicked out in that scenario should it not be the professor?!

I know 2 people who got kicked out - one for getting a 3rd and dealing drugs, the other for failing 2nd year and telling her DOS she was pregnant (not the case). Silly people.... getting binned is hard to do.
Reply 13
Lou76854
shagging a professor?

Doubt you'd be sent down for that. One of my friends is supervised by a tutor who had an affair with his student a couple years back, if that story's to be believed.
Bumblebee3
Nope - until last year cambs had no policy on that whatsover. And, I might add, if someone is going to get kicked out in that scenario should it not be the professor?!

I thought it went both ways, and asif cambridge didn't have a policy till last year i thought it would be pretty much a given not to have relations with your professor lol.
Why would you do something so silly, after working so hard to get in?!
It seems incredulous that people would waste a chance at Oxbridge AFTER making the application process.

But, hey, its their life and if they want to get kicked out of Oxbridge for sniffing cocaine... :biggrin:
Reply 16
Malopromism there :P Do you mean incredible?
What happened to the paedo?
Reply 18
Oh come on, people are human and people are normal. You don't suddenly start acting like a virginal choir boy just because you got into Cambridge. Pretty much everyone drinks, some people do drugs, a rare few even have sex now and again, and people do very silly things as a result. We might be at Oxford or Cambridge, but we very much like to enjoy ourselves when we're not working, and sometimes enjoying yourself does not always fit inside the rules.

If you did nothing but work, and had no time to relax or let off steam, you would very likely burn out and not be able to stand the pace of Oxbridge. Being able to act like a tit is one of the few things that keeps people sane.
Shrayans
But, hey, its their life and if they want to get kicked out of Oxbridge for sniffing cocaine... :biggrin:

I very much doubt that you'd get sent down just for getting caught taking drugs. Dealing, yes, and if the drugs taking was affecting your academic work or causing bad behaviour, quite possibly, but not just for using.

Latest

Trending

Trending