The Student Room Group

So,my fellow rejectees, are you going to reapply?

I am applying again for univeristy next year because I was going to take a gap year anyway (applied for deffered entry at all my unis), and am not happy with my choices. I wish I had applied to London unis and Edinburgh. Despite having decided to apply to uni again, I am fairly certain that I won't reapply to Cambridge:

a) because, despite having a horrendous interview and therefore knowing I could do a lot better, I still don't think they would accept me if they rejected me this year. There again, I was pooled so maybe that increases my chances.

b) I don't think I cold deal with rejection again, even though I don't want to go there that much. It would make me feel like a complete and utter failute, and of course not getting in to Cambridge does not make one a failure at all. It just means you don't match what they are looking for.

Any thoughts guys? Anyone definitely reapplying/not reapplying? I'm thinking I might as well since I'm reapplying anyway, but I don't think I will because of all the hassle and heartbreak for a uni which I am not even sre is right for me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I'll probably end up re-applying, and yes, to Cambridge as well :smile:
Reply 2
city_chic
I think I'll probably end up re-applying, and yes, to Cambridge as well :smile:

Were you planning on taking a gap year anyway then?
Reply 3
The thing that I wonder is will a past disastrous application affect reapplying the following year? I was pooled, which means a lot of DoSs will have at least flicked through my file, and seen whatever disastrous interview mark I was given. If they remember my name (which I think is possible), and see that I've applied to their college next year or see me floating around in the pool again, then surely they can't help but be prejudiced against my application?
Reply 4
I'm definitely not reapplying - although my teachers at school think different..!
Reply 5
I reapplied to Cambridge, during an unplanned gap year.

1: Make sur eyou know what you want to do on your gap year and don't waste it
2: MAke sure you can stand the aggrivation of your friends going to uni and having a good time whilst you take a year out chasing, what for some people will not materialse again
3: Make sure that your desire to get to Cambridge is SOOO much greater than your want to go to uni this year. If you forfeit places at very good unis this year for the best(?), considering you still may not get it, you aren't guarenteed those places next year
4: The one thing I think is more important than any other is that, no matter how harsh it sounds, Cambridge rejected you for a reason. You cannot be sure that you can rectify that reason second time round, especially as the interviewers may expect more of you having gone through the process before.

I don't wish to scare anyone from reapplying, but these are important issues. At the end of the day, is your life worth putting on hold to chase a dream, that in reality isn't the be all and end all. If you've applied to Cambridge, you've applied to other very good uni's. Don't risk it without being sure! :smile:
There's a plus side of reapplying in that they know how determined you are to go there that you gave up offers this year to apply there again, therefore taking a gap year so you can go there.
Reply 7
Since you are reapplying to other universities, why not put Cambridge down? It can't hurt and if this time you're more detached it will help your application as well. Just make sure you apply to a different college. You will be assessed on how you perform this time and on your UCAS form again, though I cannot say for certain that they don't dig up your old application.

Lots of people have reapplied and got in to very competitive courses/colleges. You'll have your A Level results so you'll in some ways be in a stronger position.
Reply 8
Opsimathmo
Since you are reapplying to other universities, why not put Cambridge down? It can't hurt and if this time you're more detached it will help your application as well.

It can hurt - it can hurt my pride!
Does being rejected twice hurt more than being rejected once? I can't see how it's different since you've been through it already. It's like giving birth to twins.
Reply 10
Jurisprude
I reapplied to Cambridge, during an unplanned gap year.

1: Make sur eyou know what you want to do on your gap year and don't waste it
2: MAke sure you can stand the aggrivation of your friends going to uni and having a good time whilst you take a year out chasing, what for some people will not materialse again
3: Make sure that your desire to get to Cambridge is SOOO much greater than your want to go to uni this year. If you forfeit places at very good unis this year for the best(?), considering you still may not get it, you aren't guarenteed those places next year
4: The one thing I think is more important than any other is that, no matter how harsh it sounds, Cambridge rejected you for a reason. You cannot be sure that you can rectify that reason second time round, especially as the interviewers may expect more of you having gone through the process before.

I don't wish to scare anyone from reapplying, but these are important issues. At the end of the day, is your life worth putting on hold to chase a dream, that in reality isn't the be all and end all. If you've applied to Cambridge, you've applied to other very good uni's. Don't risk it without being sure! :smile:

Did you get a place after reapplying? Also, do you know whether other very good unis (e.g. Durham) would reject you for the reason that you applied before then rejected them? I know that they could do this, but do they actually? I supass the grades/standards required for my other unis (4 As and 94% UMS average at AS for AAB/ABB offers) and I am guessing they wouldn't reject anon-borderline case for this reason.
Surely you haven no pride left? :p:

Just get on and be realistic and find a great uni you like the look of, apply to Camb as an after-thought.
Reply 12
The West Wing
Does being rejected twice hurt more than being rejected once? I can't see how it's different since you've been through it already. It's like giving birth to twins.

Why are you on this thread with that massive "I GOT INTO CAMBRIDGE I'M AMAZING" picture? lol :wink:
Reply 13
Opsimathmo
Surely you haven no pride left? :p:

Just get on and be realistic and find a great uni you like the look of, apply to Camb as an after-thought.

lol about the pride. It's a good point!

That was pretty mch what I was going to do (i.e. not apply to camb/apply just as an afterthought), but I was just wondering really what everyone else was doing. My only concern with reapplying is what I have said above about being rejected form unis which previously accepted you.
ticos
Why are you on this thread with that massive "I GOT INTO CAMBRIDGE I'M AMAZING" picture? lol :wink:

I was rejected from both LSE and Bristol so I know what it feels like!
Well if you're making another UCAS application anyway because you have no unis you like you'll just have to wait and see
Reply 16
ticos
Did you get a place after reapplying? Also, do you know whether other very good unis (e.g. Durham) would reject you for the reason that you applied before then rejected them? I know that they could do this, but do they actually? I supass the grades/standards required for my other unis (4 As and 94% UMS average at AS for AAB/ABB offers) and I am guessing they wouldn't reject anon-borderline case for this reason.

I couldn't really say. I didn't get a place after reapplying, no. WRT other uni's. I also applied to UCL and Durham twice, and got offers twice (for Law). However, I had personal reasons as to why I was reapplying. Basically I was forced into reapplying and was lucky. You can't always take the risk.

If the uni's you have offers from you really REALLY don't want to go to them (I advise making a decision post open days) then reapplying may be a god idea. But if you do, plan your gap year. It could be either the best or the worst year you have, try and make it the best! :smile: It also is good for a personal statment if you say you're doing something cool (potentially subject specific) on your gap year.

Wrt wheter they'd reject you or not, you'd hope not if you held offers before, but, it depends on the year, one year you may be at the top of the application list, but the next people may surpass you. It's a game of chance!
Reply 17
The West Wing
I was rejected from both LSE and Bristol so I know what it feels like!

It's not quite the same though, is it? Whilst LSE (and Bristol to an extent) may be just as good as Cambridge, the same amount of time/planning/filling in forms and travelling doesn't apply to these unis, therefore rejection doesn't mean as much.

Also, it is easy to take a Cambridge rejection very personally, and think tat you must be in someway inferior to those who get offers, when the reality of it is that this is just not true.
Reply 18
The West Wing

It depends, the second time I was rejected it hurt much less not because I'd done it beofre but because I had somewhere else I liked just as much if not more to consider. If however you took a gap year and reapplied JUST to get in nad don't it's probably goign to hurt more. It's the same scenario but worse. You get excited because of the crested paper through your door, you go to interview, you agonise about it afterwards, you think perhaps I will perhpas I won't, you get your hopes up even though you don't want to and then you get rejected. But because it's your second attempt, you know the dream is definitly over. I think it'll hurt more.

EDIT: As a comparator, I didn't get the grades i needed to go to uni once. That hurt. Second time, I though I didn't get them again, that hurt worse
I wouldn't even consider reapplying.

1) I doubt I'd get in; I wasn't even pooled

2) My other choices are brilliant for what I want to do, and I've realised that I don't want to go to Cam as much as I thought I did.

3) Do you think I'd put myself through that a second time round?

4) Life's too bloody short :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending