The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think to reapply you need a good reason- not just i want to give it another go: it might go better this time. If your planning to redo your applications anyway then go for it: you don't have anything to lose.

I reapplied to oxbridge because i changed my mind about which course i wanted to do. I got in the second time. However, had i reapplied for the course i originally proposed doing i am certain i would have been rejected again on the same grounds of indifference to my subject.

So, if you want a gap year anyway: reapply. But remember, as much fun as traveling is, when your stuck at home working and all your friends are having fun at uni, you will be bored and jealous. To have to put up with that just to rejected again would be devastating. But if you want to change the unis or course you applied for then don't let the potential boredom put you off.
Dragonfly1989
I think to reapply you need a good reason- not just i want to give it another go: it might go better this time. If your planning to redo your applications anyway then go for it: you don't have anything to lose.

I reapplied to oxbridge because i changed my mind about which course i wanted to do. I got in the second time. However, had i reapplied for the course i originally proposed doing i am certain i would have been rejected again on the same grounds of indifference to my subject.

So, if you want a gap year anyway: reapply. But remember, as much fun as traveling is, when your stuck at home working and all your friends are having fun at uni, you will be bored and jealous. To have to put up with that just to rejected again would be devastating. But if you want to change the unis or course you applied for then don't let the potential boredom put you off.

That's good advice :smile:

With me, I'd be applying for the same subject. However whilst applying for it last year I can't say I had put much thought into WHY I was applying for it and why specifically the course at Cambridge. Now I know why I want to study the subject and why the course at Cambridge particularly interests me. Therefore I'd hope I'd perform better and have more luck another time around.
city_chic
That's good advice :smile:

With me, I'd be applying for the same subject. However whilst applying for it last year I can't say I had put much thought into WHY I was applying for it and why specifically the course at Cambridge. Now I know why I want to study the subject and why the course at Cambridge particularly interests me. Therefore I'd hope I'd perform better and have more luck another time around.

Use the time to read loads of French literature, and some critical acclaim of it :biggrin: You could also learn some basic Spanish, and see if you can head over to Spain or France for some work experience. :smile:
Reply 43
take it from me, i got rejected last year, got in this year.

re-apply, its worth it if you want it bad enough. although i must admit the fire to go there wasnt as hot in the second year, i must admit i did it more to prove to myself that i wasnt a lesser human than the people who got offers. i was doing to be able to say i got in. not even sure i'm going. dont know i got the scholarship i need.

i do however worship the ground cambridge was built on, so it was worth it. and i realised i dont need to get an offer to know i'm probably an iller academic than most at cambridge.
jonnythemoose
Use the time to read loads of French literature, and some critical acclaim of it :biggrin: You could also learn some basic Spanish, and see if you can head over to Spain or France for some work experience. :smile:

Yep, I plan to read a LOT of French lit, and critical acclaim too. This is where I went badly wrong; not reading any critical acclaim and only reading one French book :redface: I'd learnt some basic Spanish beforehand, but I know that if I re-applied I'd have a much better grasp of the language (I plan to take a GCSE in it this year and to go on a Spanish course in Spain in the summer). I'd go to France for most of my gap year then to work/do something.
Is it possible to apply to another university whilst actually studying at a university. I.E. I enter into a university in Setpember but apply to Cambridge whilst still studying and continue studying until I get an offer from Cambridge? Or does UCAS find out and not allow you to do this? It could work as an advantage, could it not? As in...I go study Mandarin at Manchester for about eight weeks, then apply to Cambridge for Oriental Studies and seemingly have quite a good basic understanding of why I want to do Mandarin? Or would Cambridge know you've been at uni and advise that you apply as an ''affiliated'' student
jonboyyork
Is it possible to apply to another university whilst actually studying at a university. I.E. I enter into a university in Setpember but apply to Cambridge whilst still studying and continue studying until I get an offer from Cambridge? Or does UCAS find out and not allow you to do this? It could work as an advantage, could it not? As in...I go study Mandarin at Manchester for about eight weeks, then apply to Cambridge for Oriental Studies and seemingly have quite a good basic understanding of why I want to do Mandarin? Or would Cambridge know you've been at uni and advise that you apply as an ''affiliated'' student

I'm afraid this is not possible. This topic has already been discussed (the '2x reject thread, I think) and below is the link to the relevant part of the Cambridge website:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/info/faq.html
Reply 47
Hi Everyone,

I think that reapplying can be a good thing. I was rejected last year but realised soon after accepting offers to other universities last year that actually they just weren't as exciting as the thought of going to Cambridge! Luckily I did better than I expected in my results in the summer so I was able to have another go and I found out recently that I got in! It wasn't until I opened the letter that I realised how much I really wanted to go!

I must admit I'm finding it hard to see all my friends having such an amazing time - especially as I am just working for this year! But getting a taste of real life has been good especially when I think that I'll be going away with at least £10,000 to put towards costs!

Basically if you are really honest with yourself and feel Cambridge is the place you want to go to then I think you should have another go - just use the year off effectively to add to your application. I don't think this necessarily means you have to solve the poverty crisis in India or come up with a new fuel source - I just have jobs in places that relate to my chosen subject!

Plus! I think it MUST help your application if you already have your grades because they don't have to gamble on whether you'll actually get them do they?
"I dont like the cut of your jib" Are we in an American ghetto hood?
Bumblebee3
I'm afraid this is not possible. This topic has already been discussed (the '2x reject thread, I think) and below is the link to the relevant part of the Cambridge website:

yeah, but they are more lenient if you apply for another course than the one you are in. anyone knows oxford's policy about this?
Reply 50
valeryblack
yeah, but they are more lenient if you apply for another course than the one you are in. anyone knows oxford's policy about this?

Pretty much the same: link.
hobnob
Pretty much the same: link.

that refers to transfer students. i meant simply reapplying from another uni to get in first year (and in another subject)
Bumblebee3

No, what I mean is to apply to Cambridge, whilst at University A, get an offer, then drop out of University A and start fresh at Cambridge in September.
I guess the best way to find out the answer is to ask Cambridge/the colleges about that? :smile:
Reply 54
jonboyyork
No, what I mean is to apply to Cambridge, whilst at University A, get an offer, then drop out of University A and start fresh at Cambridge in September.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html
Students at other UK universities
Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.

If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor.

The Oxford website doesn't contain a statement like that, but I'd assume their policy will be more or less the same.
jonboyyork

I know that's what you meant - the link is the one that was provided in the other thread about this issue, (which you should really look at). The point is (as was discussed) you cannot be enrolled in one university course and apply for the same course at another uni. I doubt UCAS would permit a student to do this anyway, but more to the point you wouldn't, and shouldn't, get support for your application. Cambridge would certainly not look favourably on a student who enrolls on one course with no intention of staying there if he gets a better offer for that subject, and you would have to get referees to support you - unlikely. The only way it would make sense is if you decided you wanted a different subject and your university didn't offer it, or the course was not what you wanted. If you want to give it another shot, take a gap year and re-apply legitimately.
Could you still proceed with your Cambridge application if you drop out of your university BEFORE the applications process for Cambridge begins? I.e. October?
Reply 57
... How can you drop out of university in October if university starts in October?
Reply 58
Some universities start mid September, or maybe you only stay a few days?? The Oxbridge deadline isn't until 15 October.
Reply 59
In which case, why even bother enrolling at university?

Latest

Trending

Trending