The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I had to have the Hapatitis B vaccine for my social work course and I asked at the surgery I was registered with at uni, who said I'd have to pay for it, but my Mum asked at the one at home and they did it for free. It might be worth asking different surgeries, as they may have different policies. Or ask your uni for a letter saying you have to have it for the course to give to your GP.
Reply 21
kw2005
Yes - that is the case if you have had the disease. It may not be universal yet, but St Andrews (which is one of the schools the OP has applied to) does require evidence of immunisation, and the OP has done exactly what their website advised him to do.

The point is that it is in your interests to be protected from infection, as well as protecting patients. You don't want your career as a hot-shot surgeon to be scuppered by picking up Hep B, so even if the medical schools you are applying to don't insist on it, it is a self-evidently sensible thing to do. These days, when students can come into contact with patients very early on (rather than being confined to the dissection labs and lecture theatres for anything up to three years before being let loose) it makes complete sense to sort it all out before you start.

Read the full GMC regs...

And I completely agree - sort it out now... That's always been my stance - as I've posted on here many, many times over many, many years... My point is that you are misinformed slighty.
Reply 22
~ Mandy
I had to have the Hapatitis B vaccine for my social work course and I asked at the surgery I was registered with at uni, who said I'd have to pay for it, but my Mum asked at the one at home and they did it for free. It might be worth asking different surgeries, as they may have different policies. Or ask your uni for a letter saying you have to have it for the course to give to your GP.

Different GPs have different policies because they can not claim back the cost of the course of imms. If a GP vaccinates you, they are doing so out of their own generosity and the practice have to pay the cost of the jabs...
If you wait until you hold an offer before starting the vacc course, you may not have documentary evidence of immunity to give to the uni before enrolling. Some medical schools have been known to withdraw offers at the last minute because people haven't been vaccinated in time. Also, some people don't get offers til Clearing in August, and at any rate most people's offers aren't confirmed until A Level results day, at which point its a tad late to be starting your jabs.
The point about the cost of the jabs to the GP I got straight from the horses mouth; I work at a GP surgery and the partners said the cost wouldn't be renumerated by the PCT. My own GP surgery said the same.
The 'employer' has done all they can to ensure your H&S; they provide information and make it quite clear that you need to get yourself vaccinated before you start medical school. It's then your own responsibility to make sure you do that. The change in the way medical courses run has meant that instead of not meeting patients until clinical years, you're coming into contact with them from Week 1, so immunisation from the moment you set foot on campus is imperative.
How can there be areas with high demand for immunisation? Areas with significantly more healthcare workers?? I'm personally not aware of Hep B immunisation being provided for any other reason; I realise IVDU's are a high risk group, but it's a bit tricky getting them to attend for three separate jabs months apart, so AFAIK they aren't vaccinated.
Just don't go down the route of 'I've paid my taxes, therefore I'm entitled to everything on the NHS'. The NHS is free at the point of entry, or whatever the official line is. It provides fantastic healthcare, but if you want additional things, such as vaccinations not considered to be essential, extra scans during pregnancy, or a hospital more like a hotel, then you have to pay. I think that's perfectly fair.
Reply 24
Fluffy
My point is that you are misinformed slighty.
In what way, specifically?

~Mandy~
Different GPs have different policies because they can not claim back the cost of the course of imms. If a GP vaccinates you, they are doing so out of their own generosity and the practice have to pay the cost of the jabs...
If the GP doesn't have an agreement with the PCT, this would be so. My point is that many practices do/will have such agreements.

Becca-Sarah
If you wait until you hold an offer before starting the vacc course, you may not have documentary evidence of immunity to give to the uni before enrolling. Some medical schools have been known to withdraw offers at the last minute because people haven't been vaccinated in time. Also, some people don't get offers til Clearing in August, and at any rate most people's offers aren't confirmed until A Level results day, at which point its a tad late to be starting your jabs.
Unusual though not unheard of to get a place for Medicine through Clearing; numbers will be very small. If immunisation is a condition of the offer, then clearly it must be met, but as I said earlier, not all medical schools have yet specified this.
Becca-Sarah
The point about the cost of the jabs to the GP I got straight from the horses mouth; I work at a GP surgery and the partners said the cost wouldn't be renumerated by the PCT. My own GP surgery said the same.
And that will reflect the fact that there isn't an agreement in your area yet - but there are in others.

Becca-Sarah
The 'employer' has done all they can to ensure your H&S; they provide information and make it quite clear that you need to get yourself vaccinated before you start medical school. It's then your own responsibility to make sure you do that.
It is also in the NHS's interest not to have staff who are vulnerable to these infections, and they do have a duty of care. For instance, it isn't enough to say to people "be careful when lifting/moving patients". The service must be able to show that they have provided appropriate training and that they have checked which staff have received it and when. Same principle applies: if there is a requirement, it must be reasonably possible for the worker to meet it, and also the service has a duty to protect its staff from harm as far as it can.

Becca-Sarah
The change in the way medical courses run has meant that instead of not meeting patients until clinical years, you're coming into contact with them from Week 1, so immunisation from the moment you set foot on campus is imperative.
I said as much earlier; but this is not universally true yet. Presumably those medical schools specifying immunity on entry are those with that kind of course (Queen Mary, for instance, doesn't specify immunity).

Becca-Sarah
How can there be areas with high demand for immunisation? Areas with significantly more healthcare workers?? I'm personally not aware of Hep B immunisation being provided for any other reason; I realise IVDU's are a high risk group, but it's a bit tricky getting them to attend for three separate jabs months apart, so AFAIK they aren't vaccinated.
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068759/
summarises the high risk groups nicely; some areas have prisons, some don't; some areas have a large number of community homes for people with learning disabilities (eg Surrey because it had a number of long-stay hospitals which have now been closed down and the service re-provided as smaller homes in the community; Kent because some London Boroughs historically placed many people with learning disabilities who needed long term case in homes there.) PCTs can cover relatively small populations, and it is possible for one to find that this issue has cropped often enough for them to get on with reaching agreement with their GPs about it, whereas even the one next door might not.

Becca-Sarah
Just don't go down the route of 'I've paid my taxes, therefore I'm entitled to everything on the NHS'. The NHS is free at the point of entry, or whatever the official line is. It provides fantastic healthcare, but if you want additional things, such as vaccinations not considered to be essential, extra scans during pregnancy, or a hospital more like a hotel, then you have to pay. I think that's perfectly fair.
So do I. It just doesn't apply in this case!
honey i understand what you're saying. but i think you've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere. it's not very difficult. yes in a fair and happy world you should probly be allowed a free injection. unfortunately this is not enforced by legislation so you pay or rely on goodwill. someone has to foot the bill....

having undertaken a course of immunisations was a condition of my offer (being immune wasn't...) there are people on this forum even who have gained clearing places. by all means argue against this issue if you feel it to be unfair, but it's your MP you need to harrass, not your GP.
As an employee of the NHS I am being given my vaccination for free through occupational health. My last employer did offer to reimburse the cost if I chose to go to the GP myself, but as far as I am aware it is definitely not covered by the NHS.
Reply 27
The world owes me too.
Reply 28
bright star
honey i understand what you're saying. but i think you've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere. it's not very difficult. yes in a fair and happy world you should probly be allowed a free injection. unfortunately this is not enforced by legislation so you pay or rely on goodwill. someone has to foot the bill....
How, exactly, have I got the wrong end of the stick? PCTs can and do have agreements with GPs that allow them to administer Hep B immunisations and get paid for it. If such an agreement is not in place in an applicant's area, it is open to the applicant to either pay up or to approach the PCT and ask for advice. You'd be surprised the things PCTs get asked to fund, that have far less going for them than this has. And of course, it is not unknown for unscrupulous GPs to charge the patient for something like this and collect a fee from the PCT as well. So a request for a fee for this should be queried with the local PCT (it could also be the case that the practice hasn't clocked the fact that an agreement is in place; that happens too).

having undertaken a course of immunisations was a condition of my offer (being immune wasn't...)
Slightly illogical perhaps?

there are people on this forum even who have gained clearing places. by all means argue against this issue if you feel it to be unfair, but it's your MP you need to harrass, not your GP.
I did not say that no-one got in through Clearing, but it's a small percentage of the total. For 2006 entry, it was 264 (3.7%) and for 2005 it was 197 (2.7%) of the Home applicants - data from UCAS. In the general scheme of things nationally, those are very small numbers.
Reply 29
kw2005

I did not say that no-one got in through Clearing, but it's a small percentage of the total. For 2006 entry, it was 264 (3.7%) and for 2005 it was 197 (2.7%) of the Home applicants - data from UCAS. In the general scheme of things nationally, those are very small numbers.

264 got into Medicine through Clearing? Are you sure they're the regular courses?
aaargh this is just irritating. hep b injections are administered to some patients. however unless you fit the criteria, that isn't you. an applicant to medical school doesn't fit these unless you would fit into the category otherwise.

i'd also say that, although off on a tangent, my offer conditions were not illogical. having the injections doens't mean you're immune. some people require more doses than others. incidentally i wasn't immune despite having complied fully with normal procedure.

the fact that it's only 2% of people or whatever won't make a difference to you if that includes you.

can i ask what your background is?
Reply 31
These were the numbers for Group A1, which is described as pre-clinical medicine. If you want to have a look, go to the Statistics section (you can find it by typing "statistics" in the search box on the UCAS home page). There are summary tables but to get to the Clearing numbers you have to download the really large files.
Reply 32
bright star
aaargh this is just irritating. hep b injections are administered to some patients. however unless you fit the criteria, that isn't you. an applicant to medical school doesn't fit these unless you would fit into the category otherwise.

i'd also say that, although off on a tangent, my offer conditions were not illogical. having the injections doens't mean you're immune. some people require more doses than others. incidentally i wasn't immune despite having complied fully with normal procedure.

the fact that it's only 2% of people or whatever won't make a difference to you if that includes you.

can i ask what your background is?

It isn't only patients who get immunised against Hep B - carers of people with learning disabilities do too, for example. See my earlier link. A medical student does fit the criteria for an at risk individual, the issue is at what point. If the medical school runs a course where you will have early contact with patients, then completing the immunisation process before you start will be required. And yes, some people do need more than the three doses normally given to achieve immunity - but once it is achieved, it's reckoned to be life-long. I don't know whether it ever happens that someone doesn't eventually convert to immune status, but it must be extraordinarily rare.

I don't need Hep B immunisation myself, btw, but I do have an interest in making sure anyone who is or may be at risk of infection is protected.
when did i say that it's only patients that are entitled. i said you must fit the guidelines.

your medical school won't let you conduct EPPs without immunity. i understand medical students should be immune and will need to be so to fulfill their course requirements. these people are not medical students.
Presumably those medical schools specifying immunity on entry are those with that kind of course (Queen Mary, for instance, doesn't specify immunity).

That's funny, I had a meeting with occupational health and had blood tests taken for bloodborne diseases and Hep B surface antibody tests in week 2 or 3.
Reply 35
digitalis
That's funny, I had a meeting with occupational health and had blood tests taken for bloodborne diseases and Hep B surface antibody tests in week 2 or 3.
They would have been checking to see that you weren't able to infect anyone else if you have or have had any of the diseases in question; that's different from requiring you to have completed an immunisation course and achieved immunity.
Reply 36
bright star

& interestingly when a cohort of medical students were offered re-tested due to the new EPP guidelines (so the full works - HIV, Hep C etc) lots needed boosters despite being cleared at the point of entry (~3-4 years ago). :eek:

Anyhow, seems to be crossed wires within this thread, so just to make the distinction really obvious:
- medical student = potentially involved in exposure prone procedures.
- medical school applicant = might become a medical student then potentially be involved in EPPs.
Stats * suggest that a bulk of applicants do not become students that year.

As I mentioned, my GP wanted to see my offer letter before doing it for free - presumably because having one increases your likelihood of becoming a medical student. Though a bit more logistically awkward if that first offer had arrived much later in the cycle...

* UCAS Medicine A1- 2005 entry = 19360 applications: 7821 accepts = 60% did not get in.
2006 entry = 18949:8011 = 58% did not get in.
If you work as an HCA for example and you are at risk of possibly being exposed to blood in particular then occy health will probs give you free hep b.

Latest

Trending

Trending