The Student Room Group
Scholarly views just means views from established philosophers who are not part of your syllabus. If your course is anything like mine, your standard philosophers are Bentham and Mill (assuming you're at AS). Therefore, scholarly views at the top levels would be the views of other utilitarians like Sidgwick or Singer. High-profile critics of utilitarianism not on your syllabus also count.
Reply 2
Jormungandr
Scholarly views just means views from established philosophers who are not part of your syllabus. If your course is anything like mine, your standard philosophers are Bentham and Mill (assuming you're at AS). Therefore, scholarly views at the top levels would be the views of other utilitarians like Sidgwick or Singer. High-profile critics of utilitarianism not on your syllabus also count.

I think scholarly views are more likely to be things such as journal articles, quotes, references etc from academics and such.
Oddjob39A
I think scholarly views are more likely to be things such as journal articles, quotes, references etc from academics and such.

All of the people I mentioned above are scholars, and published academics. Really, quoting from journals is acceptable though you risk going caught up in the debates about minute details that are irrelevant and distracting in the kind of essay you'll write in the exam.
Reply 4
Jormungandr
All of the people I mentioned above are scholars, and published academics. Really, quoting from journals is acceptable though you risk going caught up in the debates about minute details that are irrelevant and distracting in the kind of essay you'll write in the exam.

Well I don't know about A Level but at degree level we're expected to have at least a good grasp of contemporary debates on topics discussed in modern journals.
Our teacher told us to store lists of scholarly quotes for each topic, both about the topic itself and then what its critics say, its advantages and disadvantages. For example, if you were answering an essay question to do with utilitarianism and euthanasia, have a quote from Bentham or Mill about the greatest happiness for the greatest numbre, then when you get on to discussing the ethical issues maybe have a quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church to show a counter point. Examples are good to, sometimes you don't need a quote. Unfortunately there isnt really a book to use for this, you just have to read around the topic
Oddjob39A
Well I don't know about A Level but at degree level we're expected to have at least a good grasp of contemporary debates on topics discussed in modern journals.

There's your answer then. A-level is not degree level.
Reply 7
Kagutsuchi
All my essays seem to need the same thing. Scholarly views.

Is there a book or a list of scholarly quotes that i can use?

It's mainly for topic concerning morality and ethics, e.g. situation ethics, utilitarianism.

Thanks

I got 100% in all three papers last year, and I did not use 'scholarly quotes' once. There is no point int rying to compile a list of quotes: you simply don't need them. Instead, just keep an eye out for anything relevant and make a note of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending