Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

confused about cat c/cat d????

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hiya, jus wanna buy a car soon-ish....ive seen a pegueot 206 for a relatively cheap price but it says cat C...what does this mean and does this affect insurance???

out of curiousity what does cat D mean?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When a car is in cat c it means it has been in a accident that wasn't too serious, the owner has purchased it back from the insurance company but had to register it as being in an accident.

The insurers use categories to determine the level of damage the car has been in. Cat A being serious damage, and Cat D being minor

If I was you I would do a HPI check to see what the damage was
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cat A and B cannot be resold

Cat C is when the insurance company don't want to fix it as it will cost too much - usually fixing it costs more than the car

Cat D is when the insurance company doesnt wnat to fix it, it probably won't cost mroe than the value of the car but its probably not worth it.

Cat C will always be more serious damage and Cat D will usually be less serious.

It depends on a lot of factors but I woudl stay away from a Cat C if it looks liek it has been hit bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thats the thing look at this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=020

before you think that im stupid to think the car is £310, i know that it will increase closer to the end of the auction and whatnot just thinking if its below £2000 might still get it,....but becuase it says cat c...dunno if i should reconsider and keep looking
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hmm, well that car is a REPAIRED Cat C - so you wont have to pay for any repairs yourself, it probably WILL sell for less than the equivalent cost of a non accident one but it might be more prone to things like rust if it hasnt been fixed properly.

i sugegst you take a very good look inside before you buy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    he also says (at the bottom) what bits he replaced - id want to see all the recipts and things as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    keep in mind, that just because it has passed the vic check, it could still potentially be repaired short of acceptable. Same to a lesser extent goes with the MOT. It shouldn't but you've gotta be careful.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get it RAC checked before you buy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2bh a RAC check isnt worth much. much better off getting a good garage to inspect..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its better than nothing! And the 100 point check is not that bad, they will look for the obvious that a garage might miss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would avoid it because you risk buying a death trap and what you save now you will loose when you come to sell it. Only buy if the inspections say that no structure has been damaged (i.e no welding on the crumple zones etc, all the airbags work etc etc) even then only buy if you don't intend to sell it for a while.

You will save money now but you will have a hard time selling it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    true!...i've decided not to consider it....lolol!....i'd prefer to have something stress-free so i'm just gonna keep on looking hopefully will get one soon thanks for your all replied much appreciated
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would avoid it unless you can get someone to inspect where all the repairs have been in detail
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also buy the time you pay for all these inspections the savings you get from it being CAT C are wiped anyway .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    dont bother buying a 'high risk; car just yet

wait til you have had a car and start learning about all of their pitfalls and stuff

i;ve bought 4 cars personally and been driving for around 3 years - the knowledge that i have about cars and buyign cars has gone up MASSIVLEY. part of the reason was because i had various faults with various cars

but on the upside, the last car i bought i spent a good 1 hour checking it all over and was confident with my purchase - so i probably would have been mroe confident buying a cat c as i woudl have known what bits coudl have caused problems etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem with CAT C's is you often don't know the bits that cause problems until you crash and the crumple zones fail.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem tends to be the buyer of the car not knowing enough about the car. which is why you young guns should stay away from cat c's and d's unless oyu are with someone who knows what they are doing.

hpi check the cars too. good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Once a car's been in a bad accident, it'll never drive the same...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 22, 2009
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.