The Student Room Group

Cambridge Theology Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
jrammy
but my gcse's were pretty rubbish, as i had some personal problems back then i ended up with 1A*AAAAABBBB

your grades are not rubbish at all, just a bit below average; though any problems you were going through at the time might qualify you for the Special Access Scheme, and so admissions tutors would take these circumstances into account when considering your grades, so this is something that may be worth investigating.

But even if not, definitely apply anyway; if you're widely read and have a three A prediction then your chance is as good as any.
Reply 81
Galatea
your grades are not rubbish at all, just a bit below average; though any problems you were going through at the time might qualify you for the Special Access Scheme, and so admissions tutors would take these circumstances into account when considering your grades, so this is something that may be worth investigating.

But even if not, definitely apply anyway; if you're widely read and have a three A prediction then your chance is as good as any.

Ahh, cheers man, you have really reassured me, but I do go to like a private skl, and i reckon the average at my skl was better than that, which i hear would count against me. the head of the 'oxbridge group' says i shouldnt apply, but i dont reckon he would know about my problems lol. can i still get a special acceess scheme form,if i go to a private skl, and i seriously dnt mean any offense their, i hate snobs as much as any1.
aha i have read quite a few books already, and plan to read more :smile: im also interested in theology in cultural aspects such as art, and media, would i be able to expand on this, or would i be better off not mentioning it :s-smilie:
cheers a lot :smile:
Reply 82
jrammy
the head of the 'oxbridge group' says i shouldnt apply, but i dont reckon he would know about my problems lol. can i still get a special acceess scheme form,if i go to a private skl, and i seriously dnt mean any offense their, i hate snobs as much as any1.

If you have a look here, you'll see that going to a private school doesn't automatically preclude you from the CSAS

and please don't worry - no-one's 'offended' by the fact you go to a private school!
Reply 83
I went to a private school as well... but to make sure this didnt hinder my chances of getting into oxbeidge i took a-levels at a huge public college

ive got 3A*, 6A's, 2B's

at as Level chem A , bio A , geo A , philosophy A, and maths B

dropped maths for a level
is this good enuff for me to apply to oxbridge?
amaad-
I went to a private school as well... but to make sure this didnt hinder my chances of getting into oxbeidge i took a-levels at a huge public college

ive got 3A*, 6A's, 2B's

go for it!
Reply 85
amaad-
but to make sure this didnt hinder my chances of getting into oxbeidge i took a-levels at a huge public college

Are you taking the piss?
Reply 86
Poops
Are you taking the piss?

no 5 years at the the grammar school, hipperholme which was an indepedant school with total pop of 180 over 7 years

and then greenhead college total pop 2100 over 2 years
Reply 87
amaad-
no 5 years at the the grammar school, hipperholme which was an indepedant school with total pop of 180 over 7 years

Greenhead gets loads of people into Oxbridge every year, they aren't going to see you as disadvantaged are they? :rolleyes:

(Won't you have to put down where you did your GCSEs on UCAS anyway?)
Reply 88
amaad-

You really left a grammar school solely for the purpose of raising your chances of getting into Oxbridge? How ironic...
Reply 89
did u get an answer coz it cud help me
Reply 90
greenhead do get people in .. in fact more than my previous school but its a normal state run college....

there is no irony....:yep:
Reply 91
Poops
You really left a grammar school solely for the purpose of raising your chances of getting into Oxbridge? How ironic...

you do realise that most people including you and most of oxbridge are biased against independantly educated students

theres nothhing diferent at all apart from the subjects offered :yep:
Reply 92
amaad-
did u get an answer coz it cud help me

yes, the answer was:

questions.
Reply 93
amaad-
you do realise that most people including you and most of oxbridge are biased against independantly educated students

theres nothhing diferent at all apart from the subjects offered :yep:

I don't really have time for another of these debates, suffice to say that there is no bias at all either way and the mayor is in my ass and blah bah blah.
Reply 94
Poops
I don't really have time for another of these debates, suffice to say that there is no bias at all either way and the mayor is in my ass and blah bah blah.

:s-smilie: ritio
Reply 95
amaad-
cheers for that.... jackass

that's just hilarious:smile:

Why dont you just pm the OP or have a look at the "theology" thread in the courses & colleges sub forum.....
Reply 96
Ghassan
that's just hilarious:smile:

Why dont you just pm the OP

because, as neither of you seem to have noticed, the OP made his post 3 years ago.
Reply 97
amaad-
cheers for that.... jackass

i just saw this post of yours:

ive got 3A*, 6A's, 2B's

and from it i must conclude you are a complete tool. reasons:

a) cambridge is in no way biased against independent schools. my college is 50%+ independent. nobody gives a ****** what school you went to.

b) saying that, your GCSEs aren't great for a private schooler.

c) you're applying for theology, which is in itself a stupid subject (in my opinion), with largely unrelated a-levels.

d) the main one: to be making oxbridge related decisions at the age of 16 is retarded. what if you don't get in? i imagine you'll be pretty crushed. and, coming back to point c, if you were willing to change school for oxbridge, why didn't you pick subjects more related to your chosen course!? or was it just a case of wanting to go to oxbridge for oxbridge's sake?

anyway yeah. wine.
Reply 98
Hello there all,

I noticed for the college I am applying to for theology, they give you a text to read before the interview. Any idea what the nature of such texts is?
Reply 99
I got all confused when I saw this thread beacuse it seems that the current theology thread has been merged with some ancient one about an interview three years ago. Anyway,

Chewwy
and from it i must conclude you are a complete tool. reasons:

a) cambridge is in no way biased against independent schools. my college is 50%+ independent. nobody gives a ****** what school you went to.

b) saying that, your GCSEs aren't great for a private schooler.

c) you're applying for theology, which is in itself a stupid subject (in my opinion), with largely unrelated a-levels.

d) the main one: to be making oxbridge related decisions at the age of 16 is retarded. what if you don't get in? i imagine you'll be pretty crushed. and, coming back to point c, if you were willing to change school for oxbridge, why didn't you pick subjects more related to your chosen course!? or was it just a case of wanting to go to oxbridge for oxbridge's sake
?

all a bit unnecessarily harsh tbh.

While a) is certainly true, or at least by and large true, it's a common enough perception, and some degree of bias towards private schools is known to go on at other top universities, such as Bristol. And as you said yourself n 'b)' private schoolers are often expected to have superior grades even though there are of course many private schools that never reach the standard of the best state schools, depsite their wealth.

c) :hmpf:

d) the guy's starting his AS/A level courses, why on earth is it retarded to be thinking about university at this stage? Both Oxford and Cambridge encourage this, and in fact some schools and sixth forms enforce this. As long as he's no obsessed with getting into Oxford/Cambridge, then I don't see what the problem is.

Anyway, amaad, if you have any queries about a theology interview at Cambridge (though obviously no two is going to be the same) then PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending