The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hello

I phoned the RAF Yesterday, to ask for the application form, and they said that they´ll phone me back.

They phoned me this morning.
I couldn´t apply now, because I´m 16 years old, and the minimum age to start your application (for officer pilot) is when you´re 17 years and 3 months.

I CAN´T BE AN RAF PILOT, because I had asthma when I was little.
I don´t have it for 15 years, but, even though they told me I had to look for another branch in the RAF.:frown:

Alex Luís
Reply 61
Bad luck, Alex. However, you've been looking into this for months - I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the asthma problem. Have you got a ground branch as a back up?
Reply 62
Hello
Yes.

Very bad luck :frown:
But the main issue is that I don´t have asthma for 15 years now.
I thought It wouldn´t be a problem.
No I have not, actually, I never thought of another thing then being a Pilot.

Cheers mate
Reply 63
Hello

I´ve been talking to my mother about the "asthma" problem, and she told me that, when I was little I had some infections, but didn´t have asthma :smile:
Uffff...That´s good news.

I have to phone the RAF Careers Office again.
It´s still worth it isn´t it?

Alex L. :tsr2:
No. If the word asthma is on your medical records, you won't be flying in the RAF.
Reply 65
Hello

Isn´t it worth it?
I did not have asthma.
Will the RAF ask for my medical record?

Thanks
Yes, of course they will ask for your medical records.
Reply 67
Oh Okay

I´ll phone them tommorow again.
I think I just can apply when I´m 17 years and 3 months.

Thanks
Reply 68
^o)
Reply 69
Alexluis
But the main issue is that I don´t have asthma for 15 years now.

It's not as simple as that. The main issue is that you presumably had some sort of infection which affected your lungs and was either very similar to asthma or involved the prescription of an inhaler.

Regardless of whether or not it was full blown asthma, any repiratory issue is a big problem. You have no idea how you'll react when under pressure breathing, or when breathing 100% oxygen, or when struggling around with a respirator on. There are a lot of lung conditions which tend to suppress themselves as you grow up which will still cause you problems under 100% oxygen, asthma included.

It is not a decision that's taken lightly. If asthma is mentioned, or an inhaler was prescribed, then you can't be a pilot, because you'd be a danger to yourself!

Alexluis
No I have not, actually, I never thought of another thing then being a Pilot

That is a certain way to set yourself up for disappointment. I was very focussed about becoming a pilot but I was smart enough to realise how few people manage it, and I had a backup plan. Applying for and researching other branches isn't a sign of "weakness" or "lack of focus," it's a sign that you're mature enough to realise things are outwith your control.

I looked into some ground branches that appealed precisely because I knew that there were plenty of medical things I had no control over, and I didn't want to be out on my ear because of something buried in my medical records I didn't know about. You should take the same attitude.

I'd advise any applicants to take long hard looks at ground branches if they're applying for pilot. I've said it before, but compared to flying training, OASC and IOT are the easy bits. There are LOTS of people who don't make it through flying training, and it's nice to know you've at least considered a backup option.
Reply 70
Hello
Thanks Mark.

So, I couldn´t of had any infections related with my lungs?

< Regardless of whether or not it was full blown asthma, any repiratory issue is a big problem. You have no idea how you'll react when under pressure breathing, or when breathing 100% oxygen, or when struggling around with a respirator on. There are a lot of lung conditions which tend to suppress themselves as you grow up which will still cause you problems under 100% oxygen, asthma included. >

I see. Well My plan if I can´t get in the RAF as an officer pilot, is to take a commercial course.

Asthma or something similar won´t be a problem in the Commercial industry as a pilot will it?

Cheers
Alex L.
Reply 71
Alexluis
Hello
Thanks Mark.

So, I couldn´t of had any infections related with my lungs?

< Regardless of whether or not it was full blown asthma, any repiratory issue is a big problem. You have no idea how you'll react when under pressure breathing, or when breathing 100% oxygen, or when struggling around with a respirator on. There are a lot of lung conditions which tend to suppress themselves as you grow up which will still cause you problems under 100% oxygen, asthma included. >

I see. Well My plan if I can´t get in the RAF as an officer pilot, is to take a commercial course.

Asthma or something similar won´t be a problem in the Commercial industry as a pilot will it?

Cheers
Alex L.

I know I'm a vicious little b****** but I really do hope OASC are reading :smile:
Reply 72
Hello

You are simply a "dream killer" and also being selfish.
You know, nobody said that, but you.
Increduble isn´t it?
It is a backup plan. What is your problem Richard?
The only thing I want to do is being a Pilot. An RAF Officer Pilot.
If I am unable to join as an Officer pilot, due to past diseases, in this case, related to Asthma or simlilar, I can not do anything but try another thing.
I can not change the rules.

My backup plan will be to try an have a commercial course.
Nothing special about that.

Alex L.
Reply 73
Alexluis
Hello

You are simply a "dream killer" and also being selfish.
You know, nobody said that, but you.
Increduble isn´t it?
It is a backup plan. What is your problem Richard?
The only thing I want to do is be a Pilot. An RAF Officer Pilot.
If I am unable to join as an Officer pilot, due to past diseases, in this case, related to Asthma or simlilar, I can not do nothing.
I can not change the rules.

My backup plan will be to try an have a commercial course.
Nothing special about that.

Alex L.

I'm sorry and I apologise (haha - don't believe that)

Mate, after the things you said to me after my hours of trying to help you and after your comments on certain members of this website such as InaSpin and Theo, I think I have the right to be a little bitter.
Reply 74
<I'm sorry and I apologise (haha - don't believe that)> Ironic. So common.

<Mate, after the things you said to me after my hours of trying to help you and after your comments on certain members of this website such as InaSpin and Theo, I think I have the right to be a little bitter.>
First of all, I am not your mate Richard.
- I was thankful for your time.
- I just said the truth to you, about what I thinked about you.
- What did I say? Don´t make me laugh! :biggrin:
- You do not have the right to be rude, and have that attitude towards me.

Alex L.
Reply 75
Alexluis
<I'm sorry and I apologise (haha - don't believe that)> Ironic. So common.

<Mate, after the things you said to me after my hours of trying to help you and after your comments on certain members of this website such as InaSpin and Theo, I think I have the right to be a little bitter.>
First of all, I am not your mate Richard.
- I was thankful for your time.
- I just said the truth to you, about what I thinked about you.
- What did I say? Don´t make me laugh! :biggrin:
- You do not have the right to be rude, and have that attitude towards me.

Alex L.

This is true.

This is not true

Would you like me to tell you what I think? Actually, just read pprune (oh damm you got banned, you can't)

Naughty things a 16 year old shouldn't be saying

I do.

Reply 76
I was banned because of people like you.
Don´t you dare.
You don´t.You do not have the right to be rude to Nobody.
It is your word against mine. I know I did not say nothing bad about those users to you.
I thanked you for your time, but I also realised that you were ironic to me is some circumstances.
Oh...Like you say you are an adult,please, behave like one :wink:

Cheers

Alex L.
Reply 77
Alexluis
I was banned because of people like you.
Don´t you dare.
You don´t.You do not have the right to be rude to Nobody.
It is your word against mine. I know I did not say nothing bad about those users to you.
I thanked you for your time, but I also realised that you were ironic to me is some circumstances.
Oh...Like you say you are an adult,please, behave like one :wink:

Cheers

Alex L.

:wink:
Reply 78
super way of behaving for aspiring officers in the forces....

geeks.
Reply 79
Yea officers never have stupid arguments....did you know they arn't even human?

Latest