The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

All reviews i've read about notts have been brilliant, but look at this one...

A review by siege on Nottingham University
July 19th, 2000

Author's product rating:

IT Facilities Acceptable
Libraries Good
Societies/Clubs Good
Accommodation Good
Nightlife Excellent

Pros: great place, nice people, good piss ups, academically good
Cons: too many tossers

Recommend to potential buyers: yes

Full review
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Nottingham was not full of baseball cap wearing, VW Golf driving, public school boy, rugby playing, mumsy and pa saying, drinking games and kebab kings members shoving hammer handles up their arses to become a member of the rugby club then it would be a good place. Unfortunately, most of the people who attend are tossers. If you go for an open day, count how many beige slacks/chinos, brown boater shoes, baseball caps and check shirts (all atopped off with the obligatry traveller's beads - "yah, well after Charterhouse I went to Angola. Ya. No, it wasn't too rough - daddy owns a plantation there"). If you can find the right people you are on to a winner because there is lots to do and loads of cool people once you ignore the knobs. The campus is great as well. If you want to pull girls who are down to earth, though, and who do not check out whether your shoes have the correct Prada stripe, go to Manchester or Leeds - they're loving it up there.
Fortunately the people he describes are in a minority.

Unfortunately it is a vocal minority that appear to be everywhere. Luckily I did my degree at St Andrews and it is nowhere near as bad as that. Most people I have had dealings with are really nice, but I'm a postgrad so it's different. Halls can be a bit of a nightmare if you don't fit in.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
It's not very reassuring that almost 100 people have looked at this thread and only one person has come to its defence :-/
Reply 3
ChemistBoy
Fortunately the people he describes are in a minority.

Unfortunately it is a vocal minority that appear to be everywhere. Luckily I did my degree at St Andrews and it is nowhere near as bad as that. Most people I have had dealings with are really nice, but I'm a postgrad so it's different. Halls can be a bit of a nightmare if you don't fit in.

I actually visited St Andrews yesterday before I apply cos Im worried itll be full of people like thsoe described in the review above. How did you find the majority of people there?
Its the same with anywhere you go, its what you make of it I guess. Theres so many people that you're gonna get tossers, so I'd say either be civil or ignore them. I'm staying in Broadgate so I think I'll be away from that anyway! Plus I don't play rugby either :tongue:
Reply 5
sparrow184
Its the same with anywhere you go, its what you make of it I guess. Theres so many people that you're gonna get tossers, so I'd say either be civil or ignore them. I'm staying in Broadgate so I think I'll be away from that anyway! Plus I don't play rugby either :tongue:

Speaking of rugby, I always get people asking me to play with them because I'm so big- I hope i don't get approached by them!
young_free
Speaking of rugby, I always get people asking me to play with them because I'm so big- I hope i don't get approached by them!

they're after YOU! hehe.

My sport's athletics, not seen any athletics clubs in the union though, might take up polo or rugby or fox hunting and try and fit in with the others!

(wouldn't really fox hunt I disagree with it)
Krim
I actually visited St Andrews yesterday before I apply cos Im worried itll be full of people like thsoe described in the review above. How did you find the majority of people there?

St Andrews was fine, just like nottingham. There are arrogant tossers who seem to make a point of flaunting their privilege, but you, unfortunately, get that everwhere and not just at Uni. Part of the experience is learning how to deal with people like that. But, most of the people you meet are nice.
Reply 8
young_free
A review by siege on Nottingham University
July 19th, 2000

Author's product rating:

IT Facilities Acceptable
Libraries Good
Societies/Clubs Good
Accommodation Good
Nightlife Excellent

Pros: great place, nice people, good piss ups, academically good
Cons: too many tossers

Recommend to potential buyers: yes

Full review
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Nottingham was not full of baseball cap wearing, VW Golf driving, public school boy, rugby playing, mumsy and pa saying, drinking games and kebab kings members shoving hammer handles up their arses to become a member of the rugby club then it would be a good place. Unfortunately, most of the people who attend are tossers. If you go for an open day, count how many beige slacks/chinos, brown boater shoes, baseball caps and check shirts (all atopped off with the obligatry traveller's beads - "yah, well after Charterhouse I went to Angola. Ya. No, it wasn't too rough - daddy owns a plantation there"). If you can find the right people you are on to a winner because there is lots to do and loads of cool people once you ignore the knobs. The campus is great as well. If you want to pull girls who are down to earth, though, and who do not check out whether your shoes have the correct Prada stripe, go to Manchester or Leeds - they're loving it up there.

I think that sounds rather good... no??

Latest

Trending

Trending