The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
also, speaking and listening, anyone know how much that si worth, as my teacher lasy year gave me good marks in coursework, but this years teacher doesnt like giving A/A* in speaking and listening, will these effect chances of getting A*

sorry for all the questions xx
Reply 2
thanks, the trouble is, i really like english, and i think im ok at it, but arent the exams one of the hardest subjects to get high marks in, because its more the way you write it

does that make sesne, or am i talking rubbish

Reply 3
thanks alot, :smile:

glad someone knows what i mean!

i feel more confident now, is the 40% inc. speaking and listening do you know

thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 4
thanks (again)

ok, i dont know whether thats good or bad!

anway, thanks for checking :smile:
Yeah, 20% written, 20% speaking * listening. In my writing I got A*AAA, and in S&L I scraped A*s and then got A* overall. In Lit, I got AAB in coursework, and an A overall, though I know I messed up the exam =). So it's still possible for you to get A*s, if you do well in the exam.
Reply 6
purple-girl
Yeah, 20% written, 20% speaking * listening. In my writing I got A*AAA, and in S&L I scraped A*s and then got A* overall. In Lit, I got AAB in coursework, and an A overall, though I know I messed up the exam =). So it's still possible for you to get A*s, if you do well in the exam.

thanks, so what were your final eng and eng lit grades

if i got mostly A* in coursework, and A's in s and l, would that mean id have to get A*'s in the exam to get A* overall, because as ive said, im not too confident with the eng exam!

thanks for the help
:smile:
Reply 7
Will your teacher let you improve some of your coursework?
Reply 8
Both my sets of English coursework went in at an overall B, and I still came out with an a* and a high a, mainly because I perform far better in exams.
So I wouldn't worry too much about your coursework, it sounds pretty good:smile: Just do your best in the exam
kate1310
Both my sets of English coursework went in at an overall B, and I still came out with an a* and a high a, mainly because I perform far better in exams.
So I wouldn't worry too much about your coursework, it sounds pretty good:smile: Just do your best in the exam

Same but lower coursework grades. Reading too many books and never doing an exam without having looked at the mark scheme FTW.
Reply 10
kate1310

ok, thanks then

how were ur speaking and listening marks?

Reply 11
Meliae
Will your teacher let you improve some of your coursework?

well ive redone my romeo and juliet as thats worth eng and eng lit marks, so my teachers reluctant to give me an A* and has given it back 4 times!!, but hopefully this time he'll be able to push my marks up to A*

that would give me A* in eng lit cw, and A* A* A in eng cw

so yeh, fingers crossed

:smile: x
Reply 12
chbutterfly
ok, thanks then

how were ur speaking and listening marks?

They weren't bad, mid range A grades. English was never really my strong point:s-smilie:
You'll always do worse in your coursework than in your exam. It's ineneitable and just something you have to live with and compensate for. The exam boards don't want coursework to be easy marks.

Personally I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Speaking and Listening can be worth the same as 4 pieces of written Coursework. The blood, sweat, tears (and other stuff) that's gone into my coursework is completely disproportionate to standing up and talking.
Reply 14
AnythingButChardonnay
You'll always do worse in your coursework than in your exam. It's ineneitable and just something you have to live with and compensate for. The exam boards don't want coursework to be easy marks.

Personally I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Speaking and Listening can be worth the same as 4 pieces of written Coursework. The blood, sweat, tears (and other stuff) that's gone into my coursework is completely disproportionate to standing up and talking.

exactly my view!

s and l together work out to be about 10 mins, compared to 50 hours !! of cw!

that maybe a slight exaggeration-but close enough!

thanks anyway:smile:
Reply 15
AnythingButChardonnay

I think the opposite. I always aim for full marks in coursework. With English, one piece is 1 mark off and another is 2 marks off. The other 4 were full marks first time. You have as much time as you want to do it, so the marks should be as high as possible. Whereas in the exam, you're under pressure and have limited time so might not perform your best.
Reply 16
Meliae
I think the opposite. I always aim for full marks in coursework. With English, one piece is 1 mark off and another is 2 marks off. The other 4 were full marks first time. You have as much time as you want to do it, so the marks should be as high as possible. Whereas in the exam, you're under pressure and have limited time so might not perform your best.

yeh i do prefer having time to work on coursework, the exams are so tiring, as english has soooooooo much to write

:smile:
Reply 17
As I recall I got A- and B+ in coursework and I got A* as my final grade. All down to what you do in the rest of the course.
Of course I aim for high/full marks in coursework. I'm not so lazy that I'm going to waste an opportunity to try and perfect 20% of my English GCSE. And with a bit (well, quite a lot) of effort it is possible.

For my maths coursework I spent hours and hours doing it. My teachers gave me full marks on both pieces, only for the moderators to go and lower it to a low-mid 'A'

I don't think the exam boards like giving coursework top marks.
Some people don't like speaking and listening though. Whoever said it was 10 minutes? I talked for an hour about the theatre in general and my work experience placement and my class found it interesting and relevant! hahaha I was dead chuffed because that meant I got A* and it doesn't bother me. Being able to communicate is an important part of english though so I can see why it's weighted as heavily as the coursework marks.

Latest