Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bryan
:confused: the OP wants to do SPS...

but i'm also considering law. i'm torn between the two :sadnod:
Reply 21
Vesta
but i'm also considering law. i'm torn between the two :sadnod:

Tell them the truth, Vesty. *whispers to others* She's considering doing Law at Oxford because she wants to be around me :smile:

So, what have you decided?
Reply 22
Laevis
Tell them the truth, Vesty. *whispers to others* She's considering doing Law at Oxford because she wants to be around me :smile:

So, what have you decided?

still haven't decided :frown: :frown:
Pick SPS ^o)
sorry, so can you apply for esps without an a-level language then start from scratch with one?
Yes, as long as it's not German, French or Spanish. You can start anything else ab initio, such as GerardT, who applied for Swedish.
okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 27
thanks for help so far, i have been looking at the following:

SPS at cambridge
ESPS at UCL
politics at bristol
politics at bath
politics at warwick
politics at LSE
politics at exeter

obviously i'm no where near the application stage, but just out of curiosity..
how do you draft a personal statement which covers all of these subjects?

and also, which are the other good universities for law? top 20ish.?

Reply 28
Vesta
thanks for help so far, i have been looking at the following:

SPS at cambridge
ESPS at UCL
politics at bristol
politics at bath
politics at warwick
politics at LSE
politics at exeter

obviously i'm no where near the application stage, but just out of curiosity..
how do you draft a personal statement which covers all of these subjects?

I would think it's quite hard to draft a personal statement which covers SPS (and ESPS) along with other straight politics courses. It would likeley be very politics weighted. The admissions tutors I spoke to for SPS (and actually, for combined at Manc and Durham) said that they wanted students who actually wanted to do all the subjects, not who were really wanting to do straight politics (or straight Psych or Sociology).

That said, I am sure there are tonnes of students who do exactly that; apply for one subject everywhere except one or two choices. You are either going to have a politics statement which doesn't apply so well to SPS/ESPS or a SPS/ESPS statement which doesn't apply so well to the politics. All unis will know the statement isn't just for them, so it might be advisable to tailor it to the most competative unis, making the assumption that the slightly less competative may be more likeley to be understanding of a statement which isn't tailored to their course.

My personal statement was very heavy on the fact that I wanted to do a multidisciplinary course and that I had interdisciplinary interests. I talked about the ways I saw different subjects interacting within my A levels and more personal interests which linked into the course.
My PS was on politics; you can still get in if your PS is focused on a single subject, it's just not as easy. If you want to maximise your chances at Cambridge write about SPS, but if you want to go for all the courses you want to then just write about politics.
Reply 30
what about talking about how politics links in with every every subject - mentioning how it makes a huge impact on society, therefore tying in the sociology and social anthropology subjects? :redface:
Vesta
what about talking about how politics links in with every every subject - mentioning how it makes a huge impact on society, therefore tying in the sociology and social anthropology subjects? :redface:

Yes, that would seem to work ;yes;
a lot of these similar courses don't include any psychology, which i quite enjoy, anybody know of any?
Reply 33
[QUOTE='em[ily]']a lot of these similar courses don't include any psychology, which i quite enjoy, anybody know of any?

All the ones I applied for are in my signature ... All involve Psych to a greater or lesser extent. Durham and Manc combined are (or, can be) particularly Psych oriented, if you choose them to be.

Latest

Trending

Trending