The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
This exam takes the piss. The amount of formulaes that i need to remember is rediculous. Once i have memorised these i dont know what situations to apply them to. The exam is way too short for the amount of content required.
Reply 81
yeah. such a long syllabus and there's only a big question for each section.
Reply 82
Ah well, always the retake lol!

6 doesnt look that bad does it, but then i guess we have to revise everything for unit 5 so that takes a lot of the time :frown:
Reply 83
Hi, just thought I'd add my thoughts...

To echo what a few other people have said, I can't believe how much there is in this exam!! If they insist on having so many topics they should increase the amount of questions and offer fewer marks for each. Otherwise they should reduce the amount of subjects in the syllabus and the same amount of questions.

But I digress.

I think I can do CPA, formulas, etc etc but the one thing I'm struggling to get to grips with is Marketing - how to approach the questions, for a start, and what kind of structure I can put in place behind my answer. The whole concept frustrates me because it's so abstract and intangible - it's not like finance where you've got a series of figures in front of you that can't be argued with.

Some of the questions just make me want to throw the folder at the wall!
Reply 84
boom-gurl
Your teacher is exagerrating, at my sixth form I am doing coursework for unit 5, we have made a brief start and decided what we are doing, but barely anything actually done yet!!
Force them!!:biggrin:

Hmmm so how long would the c/work actually take? About a week? lol

I am joking kind of, but seeing as the exam is an hour and a half surely the coursework should be short too? Only fair.
Reply 85
unsure2
Hmmm so how long would the c/work actually take? About a week? lol

I am joking kind of, but seeing as the exam is an hour and a half surely the coursework should be short too? Only fair.

I wish!! Well, the coursework does involve primary and secondary research, so it does take a relatively large amount of time. But if you think about it another way, each unit is given weeks of "learning time", like a whole term for example, so the coursework is given a similar length of time to do.
It could be completed in a week, but wouldn't be an end product to be proud of.:p:
Reply 86
MJ_NuLC
Hi, just thought I'd add my thoughts...

To echo what a few other people have said, I can't believe how much there is in this exam!! If they insist on having so many topics they should increase the amount of questions and offer fewer marks for each. Otherwise they should reduce the amount of subjects in the syllabus and the same amount of questions.

But I digress.

I think I can do CPA, formulas, etc etc but the one thing I'm struggling to get to grips with is Marketing - how to approach the questions, for a start, and what kind of structure I can put in place behind my answer. The whole concept frustrates me because it's so abstract and intangible - it's not like finance where you've got a series of figures in front of you that can't be argued with.

Some of the questions just make me want to throw the folder at the wall!

Glad I'm not the only one!!:smile: Except I'm the opposite - love marketing, I can apply myself to it, but really hate all the finance. It's not exactly mind numbing stuff - your memory is what gets you through it - but I didn't choose Maths or Accounting. This is Businesses, why so much finance and less theory? Hmmmm. Ah well. We're all in it together!:biggrin:

And remember this time tomorrow it will all be over:smile:

Plus - thank the heavens this is AQA not those morons at Edexcel! :d
Reply 87
lol. i wish i can finish my coursework in a few weeks. i have 6-7 weeks to complete 2 coursework. so each 3 weeks i guess ><
Reply 88
what grade does everyone aim to get?
Reply 89
E? lol
Reply 90
unsure2
Glad I'm not the only one!!:smile: Except I'm the opposite - love marketing, I can apply myself to it, but really hate all the finance. It's not exactly mind numbing stuff - your memory is what gets you through it - but I didn't choose Maths or Accounting. This is Businesses, why so much finance and less theory? Hmmmm. Ah well. We're all in it together!:biggrin:

And remember this time tomorrow it will all be over:smile:

That's reassuring, even if we do appear to be the opposite :biggrin:

What concerns me is that when I'm going through the questions, if I understand them I can come up with some ideas but they're NEVER the ones that are highlighted as possible answers in the mark scheme. I know the lists in there aren't intended to be exhaustive but it really does make me concerned that the ideas I'm coming up with aren't the ones listed.

To highlight a question I would never have a clue on, R&D:

b) If PIQ decides to adopt strategy 2, to what extent should it rely on an increase in research and development spending to enable it to charge high prices for its skiwear?

-POSSIBLE ANSWERS INCLUDE-
R&D can develop new materials to improve performance, eg help you ski faster, this would add value and therefore allow price increases.
R&D can develop new materials that allow different textures/colours/styles, giving higher fashion potential again adding value.
But many other things affect pricing potential, notably design, quality of manufacture, place (where your products are distributed) and brand image.
So it is improbable that successful R&D on its own could enable PIQ to charge higher prices for its skiwear, it would need to be one part of a whole strategy.

Good God.
Reply 91
jkyng1
what grade does everyone aim to get?

A!! :biggrin: No chance!! :biggrin:
Reply 92
same here. :frown:
Reply 93
MJ_NuLC
That's reassuring, even if we do appear to be the opposite :biggrin:

What concerns me is that when I'm going through the questions, if I understand them I can come up with some ideas but they're NEVER the ones that are highlighted as possible answers in the mark scheme. I know the lists in there aren't intended to be exhaustive but it really does make me concerned that the ideas I'm coming up with aren't the ones listed.

To highlight a question I would never have a clue on, R&D:

b) If PIQ decides to adopt strategy 2, to what extent should it rely on an increase in research and development spending to enable it to charge high prices for its skiwear?

-POSSIBLE ANSWERS INCLUDE-
R&D can develop new materials to improve performance, eg help you ski faster, this would add value and therefore allow price increases.
R&D can develop new materials that allow different textures/colours/styles, giving higher fashion potential again adding value.
But many other things affect pricing potential, notably design, quality of manufacture, place (where your products are distributed) and brand image.
So it is improbable that successful R&D on its own could enable PIQ to charge higher prices for its skiwear, it would need to be one part of a whole strategy.

Good God.

lol I always just blag it and sometimes it even pays off! :d

Seriously though, the worst thing is to go in there without the confidence. Loose that, and you could know the revision guide back to front and still mess up badly.

You know this stuff. Just be calm and write it the way you can see things, in terms of the general meaning of R&D (definition, advantages + dis etc) then apply it to the case study. The way I see it is you revise for the definition bit, and case study is just common sense. They know you're not a computer, so you should get what you revised for!:smile:
Reply 94
Actually, it's funny I picked that question. We've not done R&D in any great detail. Nor, to quote someone up there (^^^^) special order decisions. The latter not at all!
Reply 95
What are special orders? Not in the revision guide we were given. So not learnt.

The coll will be paying me if I fail cos of that :wink:
Reply 96
maybe that topic will never come up again
it might! it came i think in june 2003 or something.. its to do with the break even analysis

special orders can come in 3 varying forms:

Large order at a lower price
Higher price offered with added special features
An earlier delivery than usual

The break even analysis will help to see if the special order is viable

soooomething like that i think! :biggrin:
Reply 98
i don't have june 2003's paper! that's the only one i'm lacking starting from 2003! can you post the question up?
I had the paper! And I did the question but I stupidly gave the paper to my friend :s

But I remember it just had a bunch of information in the case study and we had to calculate the additional annual profit they would recieve from the special order and from this make a recommendation on whether they should accept it or not.

Latest