The Student Room Group
Reply 1
From the faculty website, it would appear not: http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos.htm

The only part of that brief course outline in which creative writing is mentioned is this:

In both parts of the Tripos it is possible to submit original compositions, which could be critical or creative writings. These can play a part in the overall assessment of a student's performance in the Tripos, although they can only pull a candidate's performance up.
Reply 2
t kay13
Engliah inclusing creative writing?

That's some pretty creative writing, right there.
Reply 3
According to the faculty website, the Oxford course doesn't feature creative writing either, but there are creative writing workshops. If you want an actual degree with creative writing elements, Oxford and Cambridge probably aren't the best places to apply to, though.
Reply 4
hobnob
According to the faculty website, the Oxford course doesn't feature creative writing either, but there are creative writing workshops. If you want an actual degree with creative writing elements, Oxford and Cambridge probably aren't the best places to apply to, though.

Similar situation at Cambridge -- no formal creative writing teaching or assessing (though, as Tom points out, you can submit -- as an extra paper -- some creative writing). Some colleges offer workshops and classes incorporating a creative writing element, but I can't say that this is a regular or guaranteed practice.

If being taught creative writing at Higher Ed. level is important to you, Oxbridge probably isn't offering you the right courses. (However, if you particularly like the look of the Literature bit offered, you could always seriously follow up the creative writing element on courses in your vacations...).
Tom
From the faculty website, it would appear not: http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos.htm

The only part of that brief course outline in which creative writing is mentioned is this:

Is that a sea cow in your avatar?

I have some pretty good sea cow induced memories, I must say.
Reply 6
The Macabre Vincent Price...
Is that a sea cow in your avatar?

Yes ;yes;

I have some pretty good sea cow induced memories, I must say.

Now that, you have to explain....
Tom
Yes ;yes;

Now that, you have to explain....

Oh, that's a very long story.

It involves a geography text book, legal drugs, and green costumes...
Although you might not be formally assessed on it, Cambridge (and, I grudgingly suppose, Oxford also...) are pretty awesome places for creative writing in general though. There's a very strong theatre community and many oppertunities to present your own writing if it's theatre or performance based, there's also magazines, exhibitions, and venues to display any other forms of work you do do, so on the plus side you can write and be happy, yet not have to justify to an examiner why you wrote what you did.
Reply 9
Oh, that's a very long story.

It involves a geography text book, legal drugs, and green costumes...

...more....
Tom
...more....

Perhaps if you meet a sea cow, they'll show you how it's done yourself one day... :wink:
Reply 11
:frown:
As many have said, creative writing is not part of the formal course, as such ("well, as what then?"). But some tutors are keener on promoting creative writing than others, one hears - you could see which colleges have English tutors who've published their own poetry, rather than those who've only published lit.crit. Or look down the faculty list to see who lists "creative writing" as an interest (hmmm - only one!).

A quick look (Oxford) brings up:

Bernard O'Donaghue (Wadham) (poet)
Tom Paulin (St Hugh's) (poet)
Lucy Newlyn (St Edmund Hall) (poet)
Peter McDonald (ChCh) (he of the "creative writing" )

Probably many more.

DtS
The tutors at St Edmund Hall run a regular poetry workshop which has produced books on creative writing etc., and on the open day they seemed to be really keen on it - I think they said that they were pushing for optional creative writing elements to be added to the course. They haven't succeeded yet, but if you want to go somewhere that's keen on creative writing then it might be a good choice? If you want a course where it'll be included as part of your work, though, Oxford isn't really the place.
Tambourine - did you get your place, BTW? Your sig doesn't say.

DtS
Derek_the_Sheep
Tambourine - did you get your place, BTW? Your sig doesn't say.

DtS

I did, yeah - now I just need to meet the offer!
Reply 16
Profesh
That's some pretty creative writing, right there.

I was tired, my keyboard is terrible,

Latest

Trending

Trending