The Student Room Group

Question to girls at uni who had a gap year

TO THE MODS - Sorry, this might be the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place.

I am considering taking a gap year next year. I applied for 08 entry, but don't really like my unis so might reapply to different ones next year. My only concern with this is that, whilst I am really keen to have the gap year, I'm not sure about being at uni with people who are a year younger than me.

a) will there be an enormous maturity gap? I'm quite mature for my age and will presumerably be even more so after a gap year. Will I feel 'old' compared to people who are a year younger and have come straight from school?

b) Is it difficult with your friends when almost all are younger (especially being a girl)? I don't really want to be having my twentieth birthday at uni in January when some people won't be turning 19 until the summer. I think it will make it especially difficult guy-wise. I don't really go for younger guys, so potential bfs would have to be the year above, but surely most of your friends are in your year group?

I know these problems should be easily overcome, but I'm not a very confident/outgoing person, and can be very awkward around even people I know fairly well. I don't want to make starting uni any harder for myself.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

i was going to take a gap year and i didnt. i regret that so much.
if you're going traveling or something it's memories you'll have forever and its one of the few times in life you can do it
if you're just working in a crappy job it will give you the motivation to do well when you're at university.
it also gives you the opportunity to really think through your uni/course choice and you can be sure you're choosing the right one.

there's a lot of people in my classes that are much older, some that are just a few years older and some that are just one year older because they took a gap year so you wont have trouble finding guys your age or older.
anyway, it's just one year! you wont even notice the age gap imo.
maturity-wise, there are always mature and immature people in any group. if maturity is really important to you then the friends you choose for yourself will be mature.

as for not being confident or outgoing....so many people i know have become both of those things just from going to university. if you start from the beginning it's so easy to make friends. you're all in the same boat of being away from home with no friends so it's in everyone's interest to find the people they like and make friends. if i were you i wouldn't worry about a thing.
Reply 2
death.drop
i was going to take a gap year and i didnt. i regret that so much.
if you're going traveling or something it's memories you'll have forever and its one of the few times in life you can do it
if you're just working in a crappy job it will give you the motivation to do well when you're at university.
it also gives you the opportunity to really think through your uni/course choice and you can be sure you're choosing the right one.

there's a lot of people in my classes that are much older, some that are just a few years older and some that are just one year older because they took a gap year so you wont have trouble finding guys your age or older.
anyway, it's just one year! you wont even notice the age gap imo.
maturity-wise, there are always mature and immature people in any group. if maturity is really important to you then the friends you choose for yourself will be mature.

as for not being confident or outgoing....so many people i know have become both of those things just from going to university. if you start from the beginning it's so easy to make friends. you're all in the same boat of being away from home with no friends so it's in everyone's interest to find the people they like and make friends. if i were you i wouldn't worry about a thing.

Thanks for the reassuring post. I'm still not sure if it is the right thing for me though.
Reply 3
ticos
TO THE MODS - Sorry, this might be the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place.

I am considering taking a gap year next year. I applied for 08 entry, but don't really like my unis so might reapply to different ones next year. My only concern with this is that, whilst I am really keen to have the gap year, I'm not sure about being at uni with people who are a year younger than me.

a) will there be an enormous maturity gap? I'm quite mature for my age and will presumerably be even more so after a gap year. Will I feel 'old' compared to people who are a year younger and have come straight from school?

b) Is it difficult with your friends when almost all are younger (especially being a girl)? I don't really want to be having my twentieth birthday at uni in January when some people won't be turning 19 until the summer. I think it will make it especially difficult guy-wise. I don't really go for younger guys, so potential bfs would have to be the year above, but surely most of your friends are in your year group?

I know these problems should be easily overcome, but I'm not a very confident/outgoing person, and can be very awkward around even people I know fairly well. I don't want to make starting uni any harder for myself.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I turned 20 today... And I'm starting uni this year... I don't think it'll be a problem... Many people have gap years, and when you get past the early teenage years, age doesn't really matter that much anymore..

Being older than the majority shouldn't really be your concern imo, what you should be more worried about, is whether the uni and the course is right for you...
Reply 4
I took a gap year, and the way my birthday falls at the start of September, I'm nearly 2 years older than some of my friends. And I friends in the year below as well; some of them are just turning 20, whilst I'm 22. It doesn't bother me at all and I've not found a problem with maturity, even when it comes to guys.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your replies. I suppose I'm just being paranoid. It's easy to worry about these things before you start uni, whereas I'm sure it will all work out there.
Reply 6
*Joanna*
I took a gap year, and the way my birthday falls at the start of September, I'm nearly 2 years older than some of my friends. And I friends in the year below as well; some of them are just turning 20, whilst I'm 22. It doesn't bother me at all and I've not found a problem with maturity, even when it comes to guys.

Just out of interest, Joanna, did you apply for deffered entry for Cambridge, or did you apply on your gap year?
Reply 7
It honestly makes very little difference. A year is nothing really, and way more people than you think will have taken a gap year. Lots of people are 20,21,22+ when they start. I haven't found a problem at all :smile:
Ticos, it looks like I'm going to be 2 years older than everyone when I start. I wouldn't worry too much. :redface:
Reply 9
The Solitary Reaper
Ticos, it looks like I'm going to be 2 years older than everyone when I start. I wouldn't worry too much. :redface:

At Cambridge, I see. Well done :smile:
Reply 10
ticos
Just out of interest, Joanna, did you apply for deffered entry for Cambridge, or did you apply on your gap year?

Niether; I was pooled from the college I applied to, then the college that picked me out wanted me but didn't have enough room that year so offered me a deferred place.
ticos
At Cambridge, I see. Well done :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

*Joanna*
Niether; I was pooled from the college I applied to, then the college that picked me out wanted me but didn't have enough room that year so offered me a deferred place.

*high five*
Reply 12
The Solitary Reaper
*high five*

Is that what happened to you too? I didn't think it was that common, but I know someone else that it happened to as well.

:five:
I agree with everything said, I'm taking a gap year and going in for 09 entry. Gives me chance to make sure I'm choosing the right course for me, and hopefully do some travelling :smile:
Like people say, this is one of the rare chances to get to do such a thing, and I've had the same thoughts as you, but I know it'll all work out in the end.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
I am the same as a couple of others, I had a gap year and due to september birthday I ended up being a couple of years oldre than some of my friends. I ended up making loads of really good friends and my group consisted of about 50% who had had a gap year and the rest who hadn't. Uni is such a big learning curve anyway that everyone ends up in the same boat really so I honestly wouldn't worry. Juts go, you'll have a great time.
Reply 15
I had a gap year, having applied for deferred entry - I had grand plans for saving the world but they didn't quite work out. I still had an awesome time though - did some travelling, saved some money, grew up a fair bit.

In response to your questions,
a)no, not really. You might feel a little old in the first few weeks when some people are going crazy cos it's their first time away from home, but to be honest, you're starting a fun new experience too, so join in with them! Just don't bore everyone with stories about "finding yourself" too much. :wink:

b) I've not really had a problem. I have some friends who also took gap years, but are older than me (I have a June birthday, so the age difference to the year below isn't much for me). There are some people who are international students who are even older than that. Most of my friends of course are from the school year below me, but once you get to uni, that really doesn't matter so much. And there'll be a few from Scotland who aren't even 18! There are odd moments when you notice a difference, but not enough to be troubling.

As for boys, I wouldn't be so judgemental about age. I ended up going out with a guy in the year below me (so almost 2 years younger than me!) for over 2 years. My current boyfriend was also in the year below at uni (and at a different uni), but he also had a gap year, so he's only 4 months younger. Beyond a few cradle-snatching jokes, it's never been a problem - don't dismiss guys just because of a few months' difference!
Reply 16
I suppose that flaw in my thinking is that I was thinking of university as the same restricted group as school, which of course it isn't. Thinking about it now, perhaps a gap year won't make any difference.
Reply 17
Helenia
Just don't bore everyone with stories about "finding yourself" too much. :wink:

Haha...yes I can imagine that's not the way to make friends!

Thanks for your advice. Helped me put things in perspective.
Age makes no difference; there are mature and immature people in any age group. It's not like school where you're separated by age and have always known the people in the years below you to be younger, and the difference between being 7, 10 and 13 really is noticeable. I started uni this year aged 19, so a year older than a "typical" fresher, but it makes no difference. You can't tell who's older or younger than you (within reason - obviously that 40 year old is a little conspicuous), at least I can't anyway, and my friends here range from 17 - 60+, with most being older than me as my course is mostly mature students. As I'm on a foundation year, next year I'll be a first year, and two years older than "typical", but when you're 20 two years make no difference.
Reply 19
archaeologygirl
Age makes no difference; there are mature and immature people in any age group. It's not like school where you're separated by age and have always known the people in the years below you to be younger, and the difference between being 7, 10 and 13 really is noticeable. I started uni this year aged 19, so a year older than a "typical" fresher, but it makes no difference. You can't tell who's older or younger than you (within reason - obviously that 40 year old is a little conspicuous), at least I can't anyway, and my friends here range from 17 - 60+, with most being older than me as my course is mostly mature students. As I'm on a foundation year, next year I'll be a first year, and two years older than "typical", but when you're 20 two years make no difference.

60+!! Do most unis have this sort of age range??

Latest