The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

got an offer from Nottingham, but worried about crime

Is it true what they say about Nottingham? I am an international student, and got an offer.

People call it Shootingham(girl shot for no reason, policewoman etc.), others speak of loads of beggars, rough areas, stabbings... even about burnt cars, and how they got mugged/someone stole their stuff many times in just few months.

I've also heard many stories about guns, violent beggars... trash on streets...

ONE UK insurer claims that THEFTS are 200+% as likley to happen in Nott compared to average UK. Some say it's worst city to live in... people voted it out.

I haven't accepted the offer yet, but what i want to know- FROM those who live there, attend University, or have been there... what is it really like? I don't want to stay locked up in room being in fear of crime.

Statistics, though, suggest Nottingham has a load of problems from all kinds of crime. Heard once that every week someone was shot, even more in one week:confused:

I'm interested in your input!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's really no need to stay locked up in your room because of the crime!
Halls are a big potential target, lots of laptops & stuff available if people wanna break in, but they're also well manned by security & so as long as you're not in a ground floor flat intending to leave your window left open all day when you're not there then you don't need to be overly-anxious.
I know the statistics are high, some parts of Nottingham are rougher than others, as in every city there will be crime. As long as you're aware that you need to take precautions, like keeping your room locked when you're out of your flat & that you don't roam around the streets on your own in the dark then you'll be fine!
Nottingham is a great place, don't let the media alter your perception too much!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Shottingham, not Shootingham... Jaysus.

Anyway, as a resident of Notts, its fine. A lovely place, currently going under lots of redevelopment. I would say stay out of St Annes and the Meadows, but thats about it really. Its like any other major city really, some places are great, others...not so good.
Reply 3
Nottingham's become much better recently crime-wise.
Reply 4
Iv lived in Nottingham since October as a student and in all honesty, have seen nothing at all to worry me. I go out 2 or 3 nights a week and have seen no unprovoked attacks. Everywhere you go you will see 2 drunk people starting on each other sometimes. As for burnt out cars lying around everywhere.....haha thats not true! Also, the beggers are perhaps the most polite iv ever seen!

My halls are very secure and nobody has been robbed. Nottingham unfortunately suffers from a bad reputation. However it is a city on the up and id reccommend you to think seriously about coming here! I certainly have no regrets.
There is crime in every city, wherever you go, in every city or town where there is a University. Period. If you're streetwise and sensible, you won't come to any harm.

Re: nottingham, women outnumber blokes by 5 to 1, I'd have been right in there if they offered the course I wanted to do.
Reply 6
lol at this post. you'd be a fool not to accept their offer over this reason
Reply 7
Just carry a shank on you and you'll be fine:wink: lol j/k..
Reply 8
ford

Statistics, though, suggest Nottingham has a load of problems from all kinds of crime. Heard once that every week someone was shot, even more in one week:confused:

I'm interested in your input!

Thanks

If I was you, I would arm yourself with an AK before venturing into that crime ridden city.

Desperate times, require desperate measures; you know it makes sense.
Reply 9
You wouldn't be a fool at all. I've lived in some crappy places in my time but Nottingham is right at the top of the "worst place I've lived" list. The place is quite frankly, a dive. I am currently in work at the moment, just moments ago, a colleague of mine had their car broken into in the car park UNDERNEATH my window. Yesterday the bank across the road was shortly "held up" by a man with an axe. Every person I've spoken to in the second year has had their house broken into, or at least a serious attempt. The only person I know who hasn't yet had their house broken into is my girlfriend, and just yesterday she got an e-mail saying that a house on her street had been burgled so make sure you are vigilant.

I've had some friends who almost had the crap beaten out of them for asking for directions to NG1, the potential attackers were shouting "Why do you wanna go to NG1 you dirty effing gays?" as they ran away. If you walk about town on a saturday night you will regularly see violence.

When some friends complained about a £15 taxi fare from town to campus, the taxi driver got out of the cab with a crow bar and threatened them until they gave all of the money. Last week police found that a childrens sandpit was full of razor blades. This is before we get onto the subject of stabbings, shootings, and muggings.

Now, I don't know what sort of ****ing cities you lot live in, but the one I live in is not like that. Nottingham is not a nice place to live. However, the campus is extremely nice and very safe. You have to decide whether you wish to make the sacrifice of living in a ****ty town for all the other good things an education at Nottingham has to offer.
Barny
You wouldn't be a fool at all. I've lived in some crappy places in my time but Nottingham is right at the top of the "worst place I've lived" list. The place is quite frankly, a dive. I am currently in work at the moment, just moments ago, a colleague of mine had their car broken into in the car park UNDERNEATH my window. Yesterday the bank across the road was shortly "held up" by a man with an axe. Every person I've spoken to in the second year has had their house broken into, or at least a serious attempt. The only person I know who hasn't yet had their house broken into is my girlfriend, and just yesterday she got an e-mail saying that a house on her street had been burgled so make sure you are vigilant.

I've had some friends who almost had the crap beaten out of them for asking for directions to NG1, the potential attackers were shouting "Why do you wanna go to NG1 you dirty effing gays?" as they ran away. If you walk about town on a saturday night you will regularly see violence.

When some friends complained about a £15 taxi fare from town to campus, the taxi driver got out of the cab with a crow bar and threatened them until they gave all of the money. Last week police found that a childrens sandpit was full of razor blades. This is before we get onto the subject of stabbings, shootings, and muggings.

Now, I don't know what sort of ****ing cities you lot live in, but the one I live in is not like that. Nottingham is not a nice place to live. However, the campus is extremely nice and very safe. You have to decide whether you wish to make the sacrifice of living in a ****ty town for all the other good things an education at Nottingham has to offer.

Makes you wonder, why the education there is good; what attracts high quality lecturers and staff to such a 'dive' as you elegantly put it?
Reply 11
If you knew anything about a career in academia you'd know to a large extent beggars can't be choosers. Many people will also sacrifice the area they'd live in for having a good work life.

Using your reasoning you could say what attracts 30k students to the Uni of Nottingham? People do things and go places for all different reasons depending on their personal preferences, it doesn't mean Nottingham isn't a dive.
Reply 12
Well, so far, i don't have any other offers... but i was just wondering what if that is the only one.

Seems i got more "good" responses than "bad"... However, what Barny says is extremely worrying! Taxi driver with a crowbar? Is this Silent Hill/Resident Evil or what?

I've heard good and bad stories about this city... on pictures it actually looks quite nice.
However, accepting an offer means being there min 3 years.

Not only am i concerned about my safety, but this costs me a fortune, as well...
Shelling out 10 grand and biting a bullet ain't nice!

Like some other poster noticed, i heard there are a lot of girls there... if nothing else, that's nice to hear.

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/Nottingham.html

Look at this... Nottingham is not only double of average, but sometimes several times higher than average!

for instance for robbery offence:
Nottingham
England average
Reply 13
I heard somewhere that Lenton/Radford is the most robbed place in the UK. Almost everyone lives in Lenton in their 2nd/3rd years.
Barny
If you knew anything about a career in academia you'd know to a large extent beggars can't be choosers. Many people will also sacrifice the area they'd live in for having a good work life.

There are plenty of other universities out there, n'ham isnt the only one.

Using your reasoning you could say what attracts 30k students to the Uni of Nottingham? People do things and go places for all different reasons depending on their personal preferences, it doesn't mean Nottingham isn't a dive.

I do wonder, as a student I got put off glasgow due to its knife crime, despite it being a fantastic institution.
Reply 15
There are plenty of Universities out there, of course, but Nottingham is one of the best, which is what draws academics to work here. I can't really be bothered to debate with you that the city isn't bad because so many people come to work here, it is simply stupid reasoning.

I don't see what your point is re: glasgow knife crime?
Reply 16
You're worried about crime? I would be more worried about getting STABED and KILLED and MURDERED than crime.....but oh well. Each to their own?:biggrin: (Nottingham's my top choice:tongue:)
Nottinghams crime is exaggerated. As the media does.. I live in derby right on the doorstep and I go to college in nottingham. its fine
Lived in Nottingham all my life and never witnessed any kind of crime. Never seen a gun or a knife and no-one I know has been stabbed/shot or anything like that.

Though I suppose I don't live in any of the student-y areas which would obviously attract the most crime.
As long as you're not in St Anns or the meadows you'll be fine :smile:
i went to medlink at nottingham uuni and to be honest i felt the uni and the city was fairly safe.. i went out in the night and early morning and i didn't feel intimidated or threatened etc..but I only went for 4 days though...

Latest

Trending

Trending