The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I guess at the end of the day if you walk solo through any city at night you're 'asking' for it. Just go around with at least a couple of other guys or get a legit taxi and keep all your windows and doors locked it'll be all good.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
The whole story of crime in nottingham is quite exaggerated. I go to the main cinema in the city pretty much every friday unless i am going home for the weekend.
I will usually go to jubilee campus on the hopper from uni park and meet up with my friends over there. We usually walk to city from jubilee which take about 20 mins or so and this is usually around 9-9:30 in the evening. there is usually about 5 of us and we have never had any problems.
We leave the city for about 12-1 ish and walk back again. Again never any problems.
Reply 42
Nottingham city centre and the areas near the Uni really arent that bad. Ive lived in Nottingham for 18 years and nothing bad has ever happened to me. There are rough areas e.g. Hyson Green, the Meadows, like in every city, but they arent near where you will be.
Reply 43
Lenton is not a nice or safe area of Nottingham, and Lenton Boulevard turns into Radford boulevard about 500m down. Radford is one of Nottinghams roughest areas.
Reply 44
I love Nottingham. I've lived here all my life and I do believe that it has a lot to offer as a city on the whole. I'm not going to bore everyone with the "Every city has crime..." thing as I do believe that on a whole, Nottingham is a reasonably rough city statistically. However, it's hard to find statistics that show that it is dramatically improving. There has been a massive increase in community support officers and police. Admittedly, some of which could be put to better use (as opposed to fining one of my mates for skateboarding in the square), but I do feel that they're doing a good job.

There are quite a few Big Issue sellers in the city centre, not to be confused with beggars of course. Although, we did get a beggar singing and doing a stand-up routine for us once; I gave him money for that as he was quite good! :p:

For those of you that seem to be the victims of numerous crimes, I suppose you are very unlucky. I was mugged at the age of 13 but I did learn from that experience and nothing like that has happened ever since *touch wood*.
Reply 45
Ok, you've all been a great help to me... :smile: could anyone elaborate further on deal with Big Issue sellers?

What are the best areas to be? If i accept, I'm willing to shell out more cash to be in nice area in 2nd and third year... won't save any money on that! For instance, what's the rent
per month for 2 room place or smth in nice area?

The city looks very nice on pictures...

thx all, once again
Reply 46
Big Issue sellers, there dont seem to be as many as there once were. There is always one outside the train station and one outside Virgin Megastores. They arent that bad, just say no or ignore them. Quite a few charities seem to try to ask you questions in the city centre too, I find them to be more of a problem.
Asriel
Big Issue sellers, there dont seem to be as many as there once were. There is always one outside the train station and one outside Virgin Megastores. They arent that bad, just say no or ignore them. Quite a few charities seem to try to ask you questions in the city centre too, I find them to be more of a problem.

Or stop being a tight **** once in a while and buy one. :smile:
Reply 48
x_emme_x
The media for you! Like Kabloomybuzz I live in Derby but I used to live in Nottingham. Nottingham is a great city! It has lots to offer students as something like 20% of Nottingham population are University Students something must of attracted them to Nottingham.

I used to live in Wollaton which is where the main campus is located, crime rate is lower in Wollaton then in other areas. If you were bothered about living in Lenton there is plenty of student housing in Wollaton (But you may pay the higher prices for it).

I've just signed a house in Wollaton that's far nicer & cheaper than most of the houses in Lenton!!!
Reply 49
Beeston is a nice area. I wouldn't suggest going too far out from University Campus. It does get annoying if you live far away from there.

Also, I would just like to say that if you look for crime and act stupid, you'll get it. It's like that in all cities around the world. Nottingham isn't more dangerous than say Birmingham or Manchester (damn scary place that :p:)
Reply 50
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/articles/2005/10/09/paula_platt_interview_feature.shtml

Does it sound like she was looking for crime?

I'm sick of people like you having such a know it all, blaze attitude to the problem. You have no idea, absolutely none, about what attracts crime and what doesn't. Do you think every victim of crime was acting stupid and asking for it? In most situations it is simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

How do you know Nottingham isn't more dangerous than Birmingham or Manchester? In any case your point doesn't really hold considering those 3 cities are amongst the most crime ridden and dangerous in the country. If Nottingham is just the best of a bad bunch then it doesn't make it good. There are so many cities in the UK that are far nicer and far safer, and if you aren't completely in love with the Uni/course etc. then I'd urge people to go elsewhere, personally.

People arguing against the fact that Nottingham is a dangerous city are quite frankly wasting their breath. Statistics, time and time again, show that it is a dangerous place to live, and it's interesting to note that in polls carried out by the BBC 65% of people living in Nottingham perceive it to be a violent city. Clearly you people must be living in a different Nottingham.

I've only lived in Nottingham for 4 months now and quite frankly I don't like the City one bit. It's a run-down, violent, dangerous, **** hole. I've lived in plenty of cities in the UK and plenty of towns in this country, as well as cities and towns in other countries, and none of them come close to Nottingham on the crapyness front.
Reply 51
You can't judge the city on occasional incidents like that. It's tragic of course but I live near London and it seems that there's an innocent killing on the local news every day.

My point is that one-off things like that will happen in every city. Of course the average crime rate trends carry more weight but I still don't think it's too much to be alarmed about.

Certainly, I've witnessed/heard of more violence in my quite small Hertfordshire town than it seems the average Nottingham student on here has.
I've been in notts now for a year and a bit now and the only time i've ever heard of any crime to a student was when a girl said she'd been tasered. but she was alone i think and it was night time. I think the city is quite safe if you take the right precautions. use your common sense and you'll be fine. none of my friends who've been here for 3 years have had any problems at all,so don't worry. (Coming from an international student that has seen worse).
Reply 53
I agree with Trampa. I think Nottingham gets a lot of unncessary hype about its crime. There are problems in this city, but a lot of what happens is mostly between gangs and it's concentrated to certain areas. If you use your common sense, like not walking alone in the middle of the night in dark areas, you'll be alright.
I'm being shot right now...I hate it when this happens last time the blood was a nightmare to clean off the keyboard. I prefer being stabbed really it heals quicker...

Viva la Nottingham.
Reply 55
DorianGrey
I'm being shot right now...I hate it when this happens last time the blood was a nightmare to clean off the keyboard. I prefer being stabbed really it heals quicker...

Viva la Nottingham.

Unless it severs an artery and then its back to the keyboard splatterfest!:rolleyes:

Seriously though Nottingham does have problems and short of having lived in another metropolis like it, there is no point comparing it with anywhere. Use your head and you can vastly increase your chances of avoiding any trouble.

B:smile:
I think the crime is moderate in Nottingham and it shouldn't be a worry for you. I've never seen any crimes in my 2.5 years here. I heard about 2 burglaries in Beeston and the victims are my course mates, but it was their own fault since they forgot to shut the window on the ground floor. In halls of residence, it's generally very safe.
Reply 57
i'm 99% going to choose nottingham, and law is at university park i guess? i'm sure places near the university should be safe.
yes law is on uni park
Reply 59
jkyng1
i'm 99% going to choose nottingham, and law is at university park i guess? i'm sure places near the university should be safe.

The Faculty of Law is actually very well situated on the campus. You're about 5 minutes from West Entrance, right opposite Trent and Portland Building and the Hallward Library is right next door.

Latest

Trending

Trending