The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nice idea you have with the petition, but I highly doubt the govt will turn around and reverse it. Yet another win for NuLab?
Reply 2
They seem to at least give responses to petitions that receive numbers of signatures on there... Will be interesting to see how it's spun as a Good Thing. :mad:

Has grown in size quite considerably since I signed, yay.
There's a facebook group you can join/invite others to alert them.

It's not merely the pay cut aspect that bothers me, but the whole logistics when working as an F1 doing the dogsbody work/hours & potentially switching hospital often: deaneries cover a huge area, commuting is rubbish (I am not an early morning person :wink: ), renting somewhere new for each would probably be impossible & paying for hospital accommodation is distinctly unappealing (unless the new rates really do reflect the fact that it's often quite rubbish!).
i fear the new rates will reflect how inconvenient it is to find a suitable replacement....
Reply 4
I think I signed already. It definitely sucks, especially given the worries I'm already having about finding F1 jobs in the right place. Are they actively trying to put people off becoming doctors?
Reply 5
Someone write a letter, then forward it to all the med students on your course and get everyone to protest to your local MPs; they're the only ones that can change the legislation.
Reply 6
Helenia
I think I signed already. It definitely sucks, especially given the worries I'm already having about finding F1 jobs in the right place. Are they actively trying to put people off becoming doctors?

Well, it certainly seems like it. Ridiculous.
Reply 7
Wangers
Someone write a letter, then forward it to all the med students on your course and get everyone to protest to your local MPs; they're the only ones that can change the legislation.

There is a thread on the facebook group about identifying/contacting your MP & a sample letter.

Mine for term time address is a medical doctor :love:. Hmm - wonder if anyone's sent him one yet.
Reply 8
Elles
There is a thread on the facebook group about identifying/contacting your MP & a sample letter.

Mine for term time address is a medical doctor :love:. Hmm - wonder if anyone's sent him one yet.

Oops ddn't look at the facebook group:redface: ....and when you say deaneries was it? can be quite spread out; how bad is it? Because being an undergrad in London for 3years at least probably means I won't be able to afford running a car....(or indeed find parking for it..)

(I know rotations are in 4/5, but I'll probably be very poor by then :frown:
Reply 9
Wangers
....and when you say deaneries was it? can be quite spread out; how bad is it? Because being an undergrad in London for 3years at least probably means I won't be able to afford running a car....(or indeed find parking for it..)

I have just the link for you (my housemates & I started freaking out about 'this time next year' earlier today! :eek:): has a map of UK deaneries giving an idea of size/location, handy for me with dire geographical knowledge - click on an area & it tells you about the deanery/foundation school & NHS trusts involved & links to their websites.
For Greater London the division is into 4 Foundation Schools, as far as I can tell (TBH, I'm not really thinking of London): North West, North Central, North East & South Thames.

Medical schools have their own main teaching hospitals & then DGHs (that they may share with others)/community placements. You'd be best asking someone specifically about yours for details of potential distance.
As a medical student advantages though: your travel may be reimbursed (ours is to an extent - a return trip to DGHs & back if compulsory) & if you're not there on time your end of course report might suffer, rather than your employment status!
it's mad though. like i quite like the idea of going to scotland. but it's like you apply to ALL OF SCOTLAND at once.... i don't want to work on a random island :frown:
Reply 11
Elles
I have just the link for you (my housemates & I started freaking out about 'this time next year' earlier today! :eek:): has a map of UK deaneries giving an idea of size/location, handy for me with dire geographical knowledge - click on an area & it tells you about the deanery/foundation school & NHS trusts involved & links to their websites.
For Greater London the division is into 4 Foundation Schools, as far as I can tell (TBH, I'm not really thinking of London): North West, North Central, North East & South Thames.

Medical schools have their own main teaching hospitals & then DGHs (that they may share with others)/community placements. You'd be best asking someone specifically about yours for details of potential distance.
As a medical student advantages though: your travel may be reimbursed (ours is to an extent - a return trip to DGHs & back if compulsory) & if you're not there on time your end of course report might suffer, rather than your employment status!

Hmm...I'm not too worried about this yet, I mean relatively - Im on the first rung of the ladder as it were - provided I'm not a public health risk I have an otherwise unconditional offer for RF&UCMS - but the expense of medical school is just becoming apparent.

I mean I knew that I'd be in London for three years - and to be honest I've always had more of an - Well I can pay back student debt later attitude; just just seeing how much its likely to be, it is a little bit daunting:s-smilie:.

From looking at that (even considering I might have transferred elsewhere by then, rotations seem like a very expensive business indeed! Then again, if its only a slap on the wrist, I'd rather take that then have to run a car....(assuming I could even afford the insurence:rolleyes: )

Talking to a consultant about the ETWD the other day - the response was - Everything will have changed again by the time you qualify, course it dosnt affect me so much...back in the day we worked.....(apparently jnr medics these days are slacking off!)
I think I might as well just accept I'm going to be in debt for life.
Reply 13
theredsox
I think I might as well just accept I'm going to be in debt for life.

Well if the house prices continue to fall for another 10 years or so, I suppose us medical students might be able to afford a place at what, 35 ish?:p:

(Moral of the story? Go into the city, and you can live without goverment sticking its fat ugly nose everywhere and still have a decent place 10 years ealier...:cool: )

Some of my asian relatives still think medicine is good money - I laugh and laugh:rolleyes:
Can't believe it really.
I mean costs in London which will increase quite a bit when the Olympics come will be @ ~10k (once you count in the 3k fees loan etc), of that sum, we will be debt wise looking at 7.8k/year multiply that by 6 year course is just under £47000 after we graduate. This doesn't include the 2-3% inflation each year nor the real inflation in London nor the interest we pay. So really looking at 50k+ and then our income after we graduate will be reduced by up to 40% if this petition fails, its a total disaster

I just keep saying to myself, 'everyone is in the same boat' just deal with it

Well if the house prices continue to fall for another 10 years or so, I suppose us medical students might be able to afford a place at what, 35 ish?

What you have to remember house prices are not falling, whats falling is the rate of increase each year, house prices are still increasing in price and certainly in London house prices are increasing like mad.
Reply 15
davidjones90

What you have to remember house prices are not falling, whats falling is the rate of increase each year, house prices are still increasing in price and certainly in London house prices are increasing like mad.

They have actually fallen for the last two months. Admittedly it's only by a tiny amount, and it's only two months when they've been rising for years, but it's there. And apparently especially so in London. I doubt it'll keep this up for 10 years though.

If you don't want the costs of London, don't go to university/live there - it's quite simple. I may be going there, but that's for personal rather than vocational reasons, and if I do go there I'll keep quiet about the prices, because it's the choice I had to make.
Reply 16
davidjones90
Can't believe it really.
I mean costs in London which will increase quite a bit when the Olympics come will be @ ~10k (once you count in the 3k fees loan etc), of that sum, we will be debt wise looking at 7.8k/year multiply that by 6 year course is just under £47000 after we graduate. This doesn't include the 2-3% inflation each year nor the real inflation in London nor the interest we pay. So really looking at 50k+ and then our income after we graduate will be reduced by up to 40% if this petition fails, its a total disasterQUOTE]

Careful - our student loans are linked to inflation; to cut the economic technobabble short - it means you pay (in real terms) exactly how much you borrowed). As for the tuition fees, well you don't pay that until you're earning £15,000 net, and even then at 9% of salary capped. Loans from your student days are the cheapest loans you'll ever have. If you play your cards right, you might even make money.

For example a friend of mine went for a summer internship, made enough to live on for a while and put that part of his maintainance into a high interest account, then spent the interest whilst keeping the capital in there for as long as possible. He ended up making the difference between the interest and (effectively) tax. Its not a huge amount it the grander scale of things, but its enough to wet your whistle a few times.

Then again, thats why the sly fox is just down from Oxford and making a decent amount last time I heard!:rolleyes:
liverpools nice and cheap :proud:

there is life outside london though. house prices around here are spiralling.
Reply 18
bright star
liverpools nice and cheap :proud:

there is life outside london though. house prices around here are spiralling.

Is all the fuss they're making over the European city of culture actually making a difference? Or do people just not care?
Careful - our student loans are linked to inflation; to cut the economic technobabble short - it means you pay (in real terms) exactly how much you borrowed). As for the tuition fees, well you don't pay that until you're earning £15,000 net, and even then at 9% of salary capped. Loans from your student days are the cheapest loans you'll ever have. If you play your cards right, you might even make money.

For example a friend of mine went for a summer internship, made enough to live on for a while and put that part of his maintainance into a high interest account, then spent the interest whilst keeping the capital in there for as long as possible. He ended up making the difference between the interest and (effectively) tax. Its not a huge amount it the grander scale of things, but its enough to wet your whistle a few times.

Then again, thats why the sly fox is just down from Oxford and making a decent amount last time I heard!:rolleyes:

Thing is though I know that these are the cheapest loans we have, but its still a burden on your head, I don't think though there is any other way. I just love the city of London I suppose. Also there was a blip that the inflation was 4% instead of about 2%, that would have hit hard.

Latest

Trending

Trending