The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
davidjones90
Thing is though I know that these are the cheapest loans we have, but its still a burden on your head, I don't think though there is any other way. I just love the city of London I suppose. Also there was a blip that the inflation was 4% instead of about 2%, that would have hit hard.

I'm not too worried about paying it off (but the amount I'll spend next year is slightly daunting) since there arn't debtor's prisons anymore, and since as students we don;t have any assets to lodge as surity, plainly theres bugger all they can do.

(Although being backrupt at such a young age would **** your credit history for a long time)
meh student loans won't ever bankrupt anyone. they physically can't. if you start massing up private sector debts you can get yourself into trouble.... the capital of culture thing has provided the council with a lot of money for regeneration in the city centre. a lot of it is still underway.... it's not the prettiest city in the world but i enjoy living here. the nightlife is great, it is cheaper than almost any other major city in this country, and there is a lot of culture here. i'm not sure what the ECC thing will do longterm really but the launch the other night was a good night out.
How amusing another method of deterring would-be doctors...I wonder how many more techniques they are going to devise to put even more people off?
Reply 23
bright star
if you start massing up private sector debts you can get yourself into trouble.
Who owns your student debt now?
Reply 24
Am hearing rumours about how much some (frankly rubbish, but putting people over a barrel in terms of lack of commute/short lease) F1 accommodation is going to start costing as of this year. :mad:

More signatures/letters to MPs needed...
Reply 25
Elles
Am hearing rumours about how much some (frankly rubbish, but putting people over a barrel in terms of lack of commute/short lease) F1 accommodation is going to start costing as of this year. :mad:

More signatures/letters to MPs needed...

Meh well by the time I (hopefully) graduate - the ETWD will mean that we get less training, realisticlly probably the same amount of work and have to pay for more stuff. Yipee. Why can't they just stick with the old system where it was given to us? In the grander scale of things, it can't cost that much:rolleyes:
even if the government would arrange some tax deal and you could pay a reasonable amount for it.... i don't understand where they get off on the extortion....
Reply 27
I wonder how this might impact on applications for F1... People applying to 'cheaper to live' deaneries, rather than the deanery they actually want to work in...
Reply 28
Fluffy
I wonder how this might impact on applications for F1... People applying to 'cheaper to live' deaneries, rather than the deanery they actually want to work in...

How much will they have to pay?
i doubt it really. i mean living costs associated with various cities doesn't really seem to influence medical school applications too much. i can't see why this would be all that different.
Reply 30
Wangers
How much will they have to pay?

Depends on the area... Posh areas = higher rents... Market forces will dictate.
Reply 31
bright star
i doubt it really. i mean living costs associated with various cities doesn't really seem to influence medical school applications too much. i can't see why this would be all that different.

Really - say with being faced with a rental of £400+ a WEEK to live near a 'West End' hossie (within a stumble as currently dictated by F1 accomm), compared with say £400 a month in other areas of the country... I think it will have a massive effect - either that or docs will have to live a fair commute from their hospitals, which will be hell... Student commuting sucks, but there used to be a light at the end of the tunnel...
Reply 32
Hmm, for medical school cost of living was something that featured in my final CF/CI choices. & I remember hearing it was part of the reason why the UoL places traditionally had lower offers - to entice people to apply?

During medical school it can be buffered by student accommodation (especially where I was = much much cheaper than market rate to start with & only for 27 weeks a year!) & things like claiming travel money back, flexibility with commuting & free accommodation when you're sent away from main place of residence. Grrr.
Reply 33
Elles
Hmm, for medical school cost of living was something that featured in my final CF/CI choices. & I remember hearing it was part of the reason why the UoL places traditionally had lower offers - to entice people to apply?.

AAB or BBB or the ones they orgasm over. TBH though AAB is pretty standard.
Elles
During medical school it can be buffered by student accommodation (especially where I was = much much cheaper than market rate to start with & only for 27 weeks a year!) & things like claiming travel money back, flexibility with commuting & free accommodation when you're sent away from main place of residence. Grrr.

But thats not so much MS don't want to - just few have the resources of say Oxford Colleges to offer cheap accomm, masses of book grants and stacks of funds - most Schools don't have the kind of financial backing that comes with 100s of years of land ownership.
Reply 34
- When I was applying there was more of a difference - the London 'standard' was ABB v. a routine AAB-AAA elsewhere & was referring to 'traditionally'.

- Up until the legislation changed hospitals (not a med school thing - FY1/old PRHO employed doctors) found the resources to do this! Now, surprisingly they seem to be introducing charges... :rolleyes:

Book grants..? I'm extending on Fluffy's point about the cost of living in different deaneries (& how I don't think it would necessarily put people off medical schools in the same way it might for employment because in my experience that can be more 'buffered' = e.g. rent here pw is some of the highest in the country, but with student accommodation provision etc.) & movement logistics when you're changing attachments regularly.
Reply 35
Elles

Up until the legislation changed hospitals (not a med school thing - FY1/old PRHO employed doctors) found the resources to do this! Now, surprisingly they seem to be introducing charges... :rolleyes:.

Well before they had to pay, If you can charge - why not? Now that all the PCTs and Hospital trusts are bankrupt:rolleyes:

Book grants..? I'm extending on Fluffy's point about the cost of living in different deaneries (& how I don't think it would necessarily put people off medical schools in the same way it might for employment because in my experience that can be more 'buffered' = e.g. rent here pw is some of the highest in the country, but with student accommodation provision etc.) & movement logistics when you're changing attachments regularly.

I agree with you that for undergrad it won't make much difference - otherwise I wound'nt have applied to London.:p: But it cannot be denied that some places will be more expensive - both at undergrad and when one starts working.

When you do rotations for 4/5th year - do you live in the hospital (if its a hospital attachment) but then commute to the GP placements? How does it work?
Reply 36
Oh and its fair enough about the offers -what I would be interested to know is the numbers of people applying to medschools then - knowing the offer threshold. This would more clearly indicate whether we have grade inflation or better teaching.
Reply 37
Wangers

When you do rotations for 4/5th year - do you live in the hospital (if its a hospital attachment) but then commute to the GP placements? How does it work?

I'm not sure about specific hospitals but here everyone has their own house/flat/hovel in Cambridge, and then when we get sent on regional placements/to GP we stay in hospital accommodation there. Some of them it's possible to commute to (Huntingdon is only 25 miles, but is only really accessible by car) but mostly people stay there.

Having lived in hospital accommodation though, I know just how poor it can be and don't relish the thought of having to pay for something that bad.
Reply 38
Helenia
I'm not sure about specific hospitals but here everyone has their own house/flat/hovel in Cambridge, and then when we get sent on regional placements/to GP we stay in hospital accommodation there. Some of them it's possible to commute to (Huntingdon is only 25 miles, but is only really accessible by car) but mostly people stay there.

Having lived in hospital accommodation though, I know just how poor it can be and don't relish the thought of having to pay for something that bad.

Thats what I thought, thanks. :biggrin:
we just live in our houses.... unless you're placed in lancaster or barrow obviously in which case you move there but it's for a whole year so you rent a place over there instead of liverpool. public transport links are good here and you need a bus pass anyways basically to get from main student house area into uni so travel is free.

Latest

Trending

Trending