The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
No, it wasn't - it was a further six months until I had my viva, so in the end it wasn't awarded until after the six years. The viva was quite odd by the time it came - apparently one of the motivations for a viva is to ascertain that the work is of publishable quality, but in the six months of waiting I'd already had a journal paper and a conference paper on the work accepted....
i've been having the same debate with my supervisors - ive been to several conferences and have had publications (or which are in press) way before the viva. the idea that the viva is process that judges the thesis against publication standards is a bit odd. i think this i why phd through publication is allowed.
Reply 42
I said at the end of my viva that the paper reviewers had said a similar thing about one section of my thesis, and apparently I should have told them sooner I'd had that section published as they would have skimmed over it then.... So, moral of the story, if you can drop in that a bit has been published when you get to it in the viva, do so to give yourself an easier time of things :cool:.
^ thanks for the advice! did you reference yourself?
Reply 44
No, I submitted a while before I heard that the papers had been accepted. I referenced myself before handing the final copies in for the library, though :smile:.
ahahaha good man
ticos
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't find the answer on any of the university websites. I suppose they assume that you know these kind of basic things if you are looking on the graduate sections!

Anyway, I intend to study for a PhD (even though I haven't even started university yet!) When you have completed the three year BA, can you then apply for a three year PhD course, or do you need to do the individual steps seperately (i.e. do a one year MA, one year MPhil etc.)? I though that you had to do the steps individually, but when I looked on the Durham graduate section it said they offered three year PhD courses and the only requirements were a 2:i

Thanks

Normally 2:1 is enough but it's on an individual bases. Masters degrees may improve your chances and so could experience.
YAP

That's interesting, which field are you in? Most (science) PhD students I know start at about 21, after having finished a BSc; some start at 22 after having done an undergraduate Master's degree; and then some at 23 if they took a year out or worked for a year before coming back.

Im a scientist, I was young when I started comparing to other intakes. I was 23.
Reply 48
flexiblefish
Im a scientist, I was young when I started comparing to other intakes. I was 23.

Oi! Stop rubbing it in!:p:
The Boosh
^ thanks for the advice! did you reference yourself?

I did! Well, it was a joint paper so I was actually referencing the other work done in it by someone else, but it still had my name on.
hobnob
Oi! Stop rubbing it in!:p:

sorry, just that yap asked, so i told him.

anyways, who wants to do a phd at 21, that means you got an entire working life doing the same thing. I have no idea what I will do if i get bored of academia 25 years in or, I will still have 20 years of working life (I hope).
I work full time which means that I have a reasonable income. My tuition fees and research costs are met by a combination of scholarships and sponsorships. I only achieved this by working for 10 years before starting the PhD.

It's the best of both worlds in a way, except that there's a lot of pressure on my time. Weekends and evenings are almost completely given up to academic work, and I really don't have much leisure time. However, for those who want to maintain a reasonable standard of living, doing it this way works pretty well.
Reply 52
flexiblefish
oh well, but ..... learning is something to be enjoyed not endured. looking back, I wish I did four year undergrad in scotland, year out working in related field to earn money, did an MSc, take a year or 2 working in associated field, then 4 years phd.

A Ph.D takes 4 years to complete? I thought it took 2! :redface:

*Is wanting to go into academia*.
3+, new routes are 4+
Elements
A Ph.D takes 4 years to complete? I thought it took 2! :redface:

*Is wanting to go into academia*.

Ha Ha! Oh dear...

According to a Hefce report three in ten PhD candidates have failed to submit their thesis within 7 years - that figure is increased if you just consider arts and humanities (maths and science have much better completion rates), for example only 61% of history PhD students complete within 7 years, and yes, that is for full-time students.
Reply 55
ChemistBoy
Ha Ha! Oh dear...

According to a Hefce report three in ten PhD candidates have failed to submit their thesis within 7 years - that figure is increased if you just consider arts and humanities (maths and science have much better completion rates), for example only 61% of history PhD students complete within 7 years, and yes, that is for full-time students.

:eek3: What's the stats for Geography, as in a scientific degree of Geography- mainly/all physical Geography?
Elements
:eek3: What's the stats for Geography, as in a scientific degree of Geography- mainly/all physical Geography?

Actually I misquoted that stat (well I borrowed it off someone who has misquoted - naughty), that 61% figure is the average for all PhD students. Geography doesn't have its own subject area on the tables I'm afraid.

Of course it's difficult to tell how many people complete much earlier than the 7 year limit on the study and it is also not a major concern that many people fail to submit - given that a PhD is a major intellectual undertaking and there will inevitably be people who find that they are unsuitable for it.
Reply 57
ChemistBoy
Actually I misquoted that stat (well I borrowed it off someone who has misquoted - naughty), that 61% figure is the average for all PhD students. Geography doesn't have its own subject area on the tables I'm afraid.

Of course it's difficult to tell how many people complete much earlier than the 7 year limit on the study and it is also not a major concern that many people fail to submit - given that a PhD is a major intellectual undertaking and there will inevitably be people who find that they are unsuitable for it.

I...am...still...in...shock...:eek4:

EDIT: We are just talking about ppl doing one Ph.D here, aren't we? Not several Ph.D's?:ninja:
Elements
I...am...still...in...shock...:eek4:

EDIT: We are just talking about ppl doing one Ph.D here, aren't we? Not several Ph.D's?:ninja:

Yes we are talking about one PhD, full-time too. All I'll say is that in the physical sciences it is highly unusual for someone not to complete within 4 years (and very few people drop out to be honest) so I'm guess that other subjects have much longer completion times and/or higher drop out rates in order to create those stats.

Latest

Trending

Trending