The Student Room Group

A level Classic Civilization... ?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oddjob39A
Read my post. It has been blacklisted because so many people take it that it has become a invalid 'yardstick' of capability. That does not mean it is not respected. University admission staff are increasingly looking for students that stand out; unique applicants.

English Literature is about respected as Drama im afraid. English Lit. graduates are some of the lowest paid, 'non-graduate job' graduates!

Geography is 'respected' because hardly anyone takes it and as such is seen as making the candidate stand out, that does not make it more applicable or relevant to academia than English language, if anything the opposite is true.

What are you on?

Taking English Lang will NOT make you a 'unique' applicant. Universities will assume that you just took the 'easy option', since English Lang has the connotation of being easier than English Lit (not saying it is, but most people would say that). If oxbridge have English Lang on their 'okay-ish' list, then other Universities will use their lists as a guide.

I personally think EVERY university applicant should sit some form of basic english lang. class to improve their grammar, essay writing skills, semantic and syntactic style and analysis and simply the ability to use English well!

English Lit and other essay subjects are more valuable than English Lang since all essay subjects improve a person's grammar, essay writing skills, and the ability to use English well, as well as lots of other skills depending on the subject.
(edited 12 years ago)
I would just like to say that no matter what argument you put forward about how useful/difficult English language is, it is a fact that top universities do not see it as a very serious a level. However if you take it with 3 other traditional subjects and you get very good grades in all of them then you're fine.
I am planning to take both Classical civilisation, English Literature, Maths and Architecture - By the sound of it your doing Classical civilisation and Architecture - I really want to do the two courses at A Level and do Architecture at University. Can I ask what other A Level you personally took and what you plan to do at Uni coz those are the A Levels I really wan to do but im not sure if they are the right decision - any advice?
depending on what course you want to do in uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a really good A level subject to pick, I am currently doing it now and I can say it is really by far my most interesting subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending