The Student Room Group

Medicine in UK or risk it and go to Canada

Basically I have applied to study medicine in the UK, and today received an offer from Nottingham University. However since getting rejected by Cambridge University, I have been wanting to apply to University of British Columbia, as I am a Canadian citizen (and British). Basically I visited the university out there recently and really loved it, it is a beautiful, friendly university in one of the most desirable cities in the world (Vancouver). I have always wanted to persue ice skating to get into ice hockey (favourite sport in the world!) and get even better in snowboarding, which is so easy to do in Canada. However, the problem is that I will have to apply for a science degree for 4 years before progressing into the medical degree, which means I will not know if I am going to become a doctor for over 4 years from now.

So what I am really asking is what would you do in my position?
Also, is it possible to apply to medical school here in the UK, after getting a degree in Canada?
Reply 1
I'd stick in the UK... remember your degree is valid in Canada.
Reply 2
perhaps if you have done a little research you couldve got the answer quicker...

neway, yes you can get another degree elsewhere, either in the UK or anywhere else, and apply for a postgraduate medicine which is 5 years instead of 6. however, you have to have a degree in medicine related subjects like biology, biochemistry, biomedicine etc... and they are very competitive like Imperial I think offers 10 places a year.

and to be honest you seem like you are really tempted to go to Canada but it seems its only because you were rejected from Cambridge.

UtopianSe7en
Basically I have applied to study medicine in the UK, and today received an offer from Nottingham University. However since getting rejected by Cambridge University, I have been wanting to apply to University of British Columbia, as I am a Canadian citizen (and British). Basically I visited the university out there recently and really loved it, it is a beautiful, friendly university in one of the most desirable cities in the world (Vancouver). I have always wanted to persue ice skating to get into ice hockey (favourite sport in the world!) and get even better in snowboarding, which is so easy to do in Canada. However, the problem is that I will have to apply for a science degree for 4 years before progressing into the medical degree, which means I will not know if I am going to become a doctor for over 4 years from now.

So what I am really asking is what would you do in my position?
Also, is it possible to apply to medical school here in the UK, after getting a degree in Canada?
Reply 3
hanh01
perhaps if you have done a little research you couldve got the answer quicker...

neway, yes you can get another degree elsewhere, either in the UK or anywhere else, and apply for a postgraduate medicine which is 5 years instead of 6. however, you have to have a degree in medicine related subjects like biology, biochemistry, biomedicine etc... and they are very competitive like Imperial I think offers 10 places a year.

and to be honest you seem like you are really tempted to go to Canada but it seems its only because you were rejected from Cambridge.

I did know about the graduate entries, but I just wondered if you could apply to UBC's medical school and UK medical schools.

Well I was going to apply to Canada beforehand - just wanted to wait to see from Cambridge, because if I had got an offer from Cambridge I wouldn't have then applied to Canada.

My friend said this about me: "your mind lies in the UK, but your heart seems to lie in Canada", which I think is true. I don't think I'm going make a decision anytime soon, but I just want to work out the pro's and con's of both possiblities.
Reply 4
I'd say if you can afford Canada then you should go. Do you want to live and work in the UK when you've finished your degree? Or can you see yourself living in Canada? Canada seems to offer you better access to things you enjoy.
do you want to be a doctor? if you're sure then, go to notts, if you're not sure, go to canada.

Latest

Trending

Trending