The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I'm never going to be a ballerina or an Olympic swimmer, but beyond that there wasn't anything I've ever really wanted to do besides medicine. I quite want to write a book one day but I don't think being ****ed over by the NHS will stop me doing that. :wink:
Reply 2

Do any of you medical students regret choosing medicine?
Was there anything else that you wanted to do when you were in year 11ish, but you decided to persue medicine?

Was my lifes dream to be a pilot...you know your serious about it when your Year 3 folders have crappily drawn aircraft all over them :wink:
Mine was to be Prime Minister...and then a quiz show host!! I still wanna present my own quiz show...:frown:
i wanted to play netball internationally, had a brief stint where i wanted to be a politician :s:
Reply 5
Can't remember a time when I wanted to be anything other than a doctor. How sad is that
Reply 6
sure there are times when i think why the hell am I doing this but I really can't imagine doing anything else
some has recently left our year though to do banking though!
*tink*
sure there are times when i think why the hell am I doing this but I really can't imagine doing anything else
some has recently left our year though to do banking though!

where's UWCM? :confused:
Reply 8
bright star

Cardiff, I think? My cousin went there.

There was a guy in the year above who left after 3rd year to do banking, but decided he didn't like it after all so came back to clinical school in my year.
Reply 9
piece_by_piece
Do any of you medical students regret choosing medicine?
Was there anything else that you wanted to do when you were in year 11ish, but you decided to persue medicine?

x
I dont think so, no.

If/when i'm sent to the back end of beyond to work my life away, I will regret it, and quite possibly quit.

In year 11 if I had to pick my degree I would have chosen medicine, psychology or german. I kept all those options open during my A Levels. Infact I guess I explored them all and was left with medicine.
Not really, no. I always wanted to be a neuroscientist (dont ask, long story)... but that somehow evolved into wanting to be a doctor
no since year 11, i knew i would apply to medicine.

in first, second and half of third year, i really really hated medicine, and was convinced i was going to leave after i graduated 6th year, and decided to do a mangement bsc for 4th year. now, i really want to stay doing medicine, and am regretting doing management slightly cos it seems less interesting than what i could be doing. but maybe it's a 'grass is always greener' scenario. hmm...i'm way too flakey.
Reply 12
I've toyed with ideas of the military or police before settling on medicine, certainly now I could never see myself doing anything else.

As to whether I regret being here? Sometimes. Not for too long and not too seriously though.
Reply 13
Thank you all for your replies so far :smile:
Reply 14
bright star

yeah its cardiff. was called that before we merged and people still seem to refer to it as that when talking about the clinical years. We are the last year to be awarded our degree by UWCM rather than cardiff uni I think.
Well I don't yet. I think a lot of people are somewhat disastisfied with Medicine, but just can't bear/see themselves in anything else.
Yes I've experienced that; when on work experience, a consultant surgeon I talked to - someone you'd think would be happy said that if he had the choice again he wouldn't go into medicine.
I always wanted to be a police officer up to 17 years old, and that was a serious consideration. Not just a childhood thingy. Was going to study Chemistry before doing that though. Just changed my mind when I realised you can sort of do both heh heh heh.
The only other subject I envisaged myself studying was German - and I did do it for AS in my gap year and that was cool , and I can spend time in Germany medically, so I haven't relinqueshed that either. So I'm pretty glad I'm managing to pretty much do all the things I want. :smile:
Reply 16
Philosoraptor
Well I don't yet. I think a lot of people are somewhat disastisfied with Medicine, but just can't bear/see themselves in anything else.
Yes I've experienced that; when on work experience, a consultant surgeon I talked to - someone you'd think would be happy said that if he had the choice again he wouldn't go into medicine.
I always wanted to be a police officer up to 17 years old, and that was a serious consideration. Not just a childhood thingy. Was going to study Chemistry before doing that though. Just changed my mind when I realised you can sort of do both heh heh heh.
The only other subject I envisaged myself studying was German - and I did do it for AS in my gap year and that was cool , and I can spend time in Germany medically, so I haven't relinqueshed that either. So I'm pretty glad I'm managing to pretty much do all the things I want. :smile:

would you say (and any other medical student reading this) that part of why you chose medicine over the other things is the job security? i mean i know that factor is a bit less sure now than it was before but there's still no denying it's a vocational course, whereas perhaps if you'd done german/chemistry/etc you may have been put off by the slight chance you wouldn't find a secure job/follow a clear career path afterwards?

hmm but then having said that i don't think that's why i'm not ditching medicine and going for chemistry instead...
Reply 17
ph9
would you say (and any other medical student reading this) that part of why you chose medicine over the other things is the job security? i mean i know that factor is a bit less sure now than it was before but there's still no denying it's a vocational course, whereas perhaps if you'd done german/chemistry/etc you may have been put off by the slight chance you wouldn't find a secure job/follow a clear career path afterwards?

hmm but then having said that i don't think that's why i'm not ditching medicine and going for chemistry instead...
I think you're referring to "job certainty" not "job security". Though I'm not denying it is still quite a secure job. There is only one employer in England though, so...
Reply 18
Saffie
I think you're referring to "job certainty" not "job security". Though I'm not denying it is still quite a secure job. There is only one employer in England though, so...

yeah that's the one. certainty.
No not really - because I had no worries about getting into the police. It was more I suddenly rethough my life (sounds lame but was true) and decided on going for something academically chalenging and still caring and found medicine (previously I actively didn't want to do medicine). In addition I found out I could still keep the police thing going on as said...

Latest

Trending

Trending