The Student Room Group

Reference/Background Checking by Investment Banks

Scroll to see replies

PortfolioManager
How would they check you were a member of the Stamps club lol? Call up the President or something? Do they also check if you play football? wtf.

These are not the ones people care about.

If the thing you've done is noteworthy, it can be checked. If it isn't, it can't.

ie. no one gives a flying f. if you were member of something and no one cares what sports you do in your free time but if you state you took part in an expedition to mars, solo, for charity 'we save all children - aliens included' - that can be checked

etc etc.

You get the point though...
Reply 41
President_Ben
No. 5 is the max they will check for a grad at any of the major companies who do this.

The lowest is 3.

So 5 yrs MAX for work experience check, but what about education check? The problem is that I cannot find my GCSE certificate now, exam taken in 2001! What I did on my application form was to give my estimate. regreting now~~! Does company care about graduate's GCSE 6 yrs ago?
Provided your school didn't get closed down or something like that, your education record will be sourced through someone who is not you.

You have to realise, you are the last person in the world, they want to contact because you have the most incentive to lie!
Reply 43
President_Ben
Provided your school didn't get closed down or something like that, your education record will be sourced through someone who is not you.

You have to realise, you are the last person in the world, they want to contact because you have the most incentive to lie!

Hi Ben! Actually my GCSE was an international equivelent one, not UK's GCSE. Do you suggest me try my best to find my lost certificate now, even through the actual results would definitly be different to some extent from what I estimated on app form? I have my AC next month. And I doubt those background checking firm like Verifile would care about the exam results 7 yrs ago. Any suggestion please?
If your school exists, it will be contacted.

I've never actually heard of Verifile so I can't speak for them.

CRG will contact your school, wherever in the world it is, at any time with someone who speaks the language to get your results.

Kroll will ask for your certificates first, because they are cheap/rubbish/lazy/don't care (and an absorbed business which was bought in order to maintain parity of service offering with the aforementioned CRG - which is odd since in the end, I'm pretty sure everyone will hire both and there's no sense in buying a bad business to offer a sub-standard service - my thoughts on business aside...)

...and then they will try to contact your school.
I also need advice, I was offered a job at Lloyds but worried about reference checks. I had a job last year for 2 months and they said they will not give me a reference. I absolutely hated my employer, last time I called they were very rude. Do I still put down as a reference? I'm worried they will refuse and that will be my offer gone!
Original post by oneagilerogue
x

Have you had any other job and/or how long ago were you in education? You could put down a personal tutor from university/college or an alternative employer. Do not put down an employer who has refused to give you a reference because Lloyds will contact them and it will look bad if they fail to give the reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending