The Student Room Group

Best Uni For Media/Film/TV Production

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the info!

Do you have any idea what are the entry requirements for Leeds or Hertfordshire? What is the difference between Leeds Uni and Leeds Met in this category? I just checked that C in Finnish matriculation examination is pretty much the same in British. M in Finnish exams is Brittish B and so on.

So that means my grades would be something like DCDD but I'm not sure. It sure does look bad converted like that as I know that Finnish matriculation examinations are a bit more difficult than the matching one in UK. But if I'm able to raise my grades it could be BCC or BCCD, but as I said I have no idea how to convert these.
I haven't looked at the leeds met course, though when i went to visit leeds it seemed like leeds met is currently building a new section for film and tv, though i may be wrong. Both leeds and hertfordshire require bbb from british a levels, perhaps email one university and see if they can tell you how to convert the grades?
You may also want to look at glamorgan uni (situated in cardiff), just put in a lot of money to a new place and its location in cardiff is good for television as bbc wales (makers of such programmes as Dr who) is situated there.
I do Film Production at the Arts Institute at Bournemouth, my gf does TV Production at Bournemouth Uni... Both very good degrees, so we've both been told...
Can you please tell me more about the course? Did you had any previous creative experience..how was your portfolio like? What about the interview, what did it include etc? What were your grades? Thanks in advance.

I have recently been thinking about this matter more and more and came to a conclusion that I am looking for a Degree that gives you the chance to choose between i.e. directing, producing and screenwriting after first year or so. As I have heard that first year is pretty much the same everywhere. I'm really interested in all of those three subjects so I would really love to have this option. Also the degree should include industrial placement(maybe 1 year?).
More creative and practical, less theory.

I have a few ideas about what kind of movies I would like to do and have started to write something down too. So far it is nothing special yet but I have a lot of ideas in my head all the time. At this point directing is what I prefer most but producing is not that far away.

About universities, Bradford replied to my enquiry and said they propably could make me an offer based on my current grades. But is Bradford a good one? At least they have an option to choose industrial placement for a full year.

Or am I looking for a wrong degree? Should I choose film production instead of television production if I want to be a part of movie production too in the near future?

And finally something about portfolios. Can someone give me hints about what to include on it? Yes I know there must be other posts about this subject already but still. I like photography where I consider myself quite talented. Should I use those pictures? Or does it matter in film/tv production degrees? What else?

How about if you have a lot of hobbies, does those matter anything when applying? Or confidential posts?
Reply 44
ArtVandalay

Stafford could be up your street. There are chances to write for the screen at all levels, an option for a year in industry between 2nd and 3rd year (I can't wait for it!). The Film Production Technology is an incredibly hands on and practical course, and being a BSc, is very technical, something I really like. Do you want to go into film or t.v.? I would choose a specific course for what you want to go into, as each will teach you specific things that the other won't e.g.vision mixing, studio operation, script writing etc.

As for portfolio, I would just bring some videos that you are proud of. Some people say bring loaddddddds of stuff like scripts, photos, shorts etc but I personally think you could flood the interviewer with too much info. I showed a music video I had done (which won me an award at my 6th form, not to gloat or anything :biggrin: ) he watched about 30 seconds and that was that. Just be prepared to talk about specific things in it i.e. shots, edit decisions, lighting and have answers to any Qs they may ask.
Reply 45
ArtVandalay

And finally something about portfolios. Can someone give me hints about what to include on it? Yes I know there must be other posts about this subject already but still. I like photography where I consider myself quite talented. Should I use those pictures? Or does it matter in film/tv production degrees? What else?

How about if you have a lot of hobbies, does those matter anything when applying? Or confidential posts?

I would include anything related (creative writing, film projects etc...you have quite a while until the interviews so there's enough time to create more content for your portfolio). Though of course they won't have a chance to look over it all, so have a section which has your best work that you can talk about included.

For AIB and UCCA Farnham they looked at a 5 min reel that had extracts from 3 film/tv projects, BU ask for a DVD which they take and look at later, Westminster looked at a minute of so of a music video I'd filmed.
Hey, ive been looking round at loads of uni's but im not sure excatly what would be the best direction to go.

im currrently doing a media production and multi-media course at college

I Hopefully would love to become a camera operator and ive been looking at the film and television production course, do any of you think this is the right step to go and if not have you got any idea of what would be better?

I have looked at loads of unis but bournemouth, Leeds Met, westminster look the best and reading everyones comments they seem to be three of the best for this course.

i feel rather clueless and would love for some advice?
Reply 47
granger-malfoy
Hey, ive been looking round at loads of uni's but im not sure excatly what would be the best direction to go.

im currrently doing a media production and multi-media course at college

I Hopefully would love to become a camera operator and ive been looking at the film and television production course, do any of you think this is the right step to go and if not have you got any idea of what would be better?

I have looked at loads of unis but bournemouth, Leeds Met, westminster look the best and reading everyones comments they seem to be three of the best for this course.

i feel rather clueless and would love for some advice?

A Film/Television Production course is definitely best for you, yes. I too will be becoming a camera operator.
Are you wanting to try your hand in both the film and television industries, though? Camera operation is very different for both film and television - if you want to be working with both then do a course that covers both - but if you want to work in one particular industry you might be better focusing on one or the other. It really depends exactly what experience you want.
I don't understand the ignorance of Bradford University even though the city is unattrative. It has extensive facilities and links with the BBC, plus a TV Studio with about 7 box-camera units! Everywhere else I have looked they just use Sony AVHCD setups or similar in their so called "TV Production"
Reply 49
capriceIam
so life in bournemouth is really booooooring?

My friend who lives there says its the bomb. She loves it.
I'm going there (hopefully, come August) to study Scriptwriting.
Thing that's great about Bmouth and other Skillset academies is the amount of placements you can get in professional industries.
Reply 50
I've been offered a place at AIB, film production, after sending a portfolio. I had to include there a few samples of my writing projects (like the extracts of my screenplay, the resumes, my essay for Anciet Greek lesson & one for History of art), some photos and some short film (which I edited on movie maker :smile: ). I've got a really good offer.
I also think about York, Ba/writing, directing & performance, but I haven't received an answer yet, and I'm not sure if York is better than AIB. what do you think?
Reply 51
With film production, its better to go to a credited course. Like any Media course, it provides better industry links, and has far more bells and whistles in the professional world. But as long as your happy with what you are doing that's great. Very few brilliant film makers ever went to film school.
Reply 52
Hey people, im new here and i just need to ask some advice coz im stressing out about interviews and my future prospects.

Im interested in Film and/or Televsion production courses. Im really keen on Leeds Met - Film and Moving Image Production (mainly because iv heard so many good things about the city + the open day was decent and the guy who showed us around sold it to me pretty well)

Is anyone currently doing or completed either the BA Film and Moving Image Production or Film and Television Production foundation course?

I have sufficent grades + the passion + a short film i made which is about 3 minutes long, aswell as some other bits and bobs giving me a total showreel of about 5 minutes. However, I don't really have much else (no reports or scripts or much photography)

Basically, my question was, to anyone doing these courses at Leeds Met, what where your entry acheivements, grades, portfolio conent? Where they WELL above the requirements, because I know that Leeds Met is very oversubscribed!

Also, what sort of things do they ask at interview?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit silly.
Thanks A LOT to who ever can help!!!!
Theo
cpj1987
A Film/Television Production course is definitely best for you, yes. I too will be becoming a camera operator.
Are you wanting to try your hand in both the film and television industries, though? Camera operation is very different for both film and television - if you want to be working with both then do a course that covers both - but if you want to work in one particular industry you might be better focusing on one or the other. It really depends exactly what experience you want.

hey thanks for your help and to be honest im really not sure ive tried to look into what i would prefer but i cant decide between tv or film i mean would u mind explain to me the difference in camera operation in film and tv
Reply 54
granger-malfoy
hey thanks for your help and to be honest im really not sure ive tried to look into what i would prefer but i cant decide between tv or film i mean would u mind explain to me the difference in camera operation in film and tv

Film cameras are video cameras, basically. Generally, you'd be working with very advanced, expensive versions of your typical household video cameras - all the buttons and controls are on the individual device, and everything's controlled directly from the camera - from image quality and exposure to audio recorded through on-board or connected mics.
TV Studio cameras are much larger; fixed within the studios themselves and controlled indirectly by someone in the gallery, with the camera operator dealing with framing and focus. Audio is entirely separate, not through the camera at all.

A camera operator for film will load the tape/hard-drive, set the exposure, white balance, deal with the focus, and frame a shoot on their own.
For television, setting up the camera is a more physical job; putting it into place, rigging it up and wiring/patching it to the studio, then working with the vision engineer to perfect the image via talkback (headsets); all instruction is then taken from the director to get the required shots (again via talkback). Essentially, both are difficult jobs but controlled in completely different ways.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense; typing it up has made me realise the difficulty of putting it all into understandable words. Let me know if you need more info or clarification. :smile:
have any of you considered met film school. i am going to an open evening there on 25th of march. i guess people dont choose it because of the cost issue. im hoping to get a BA there on a 2 year course and then try and get into NFTS which is like impossible.
but i have a massive armory of shorts, currently purchasing XL1 to learn more about advanced cameras and make better quality films.
although im only just doing my AS levels i only realised this year i wanted to go into film after starting film studies and i will take up photography after dropping physic.
i just wanted to know are any of you considering met film school or even NYFA which is way out of my price range. i have looked at bournmouth uni too and that is a considered place to go.
Reply 56
binary.basher
have any of you considered met film school. i am going to an open evening there on 25th of march. i guess people dont choose it because of the cost issue. im hoping to get a BA there on a 2 year course and then try and get into NFTS which is like impossible.
but i have a massive armory of shorts, currently purchasing XL1 to learn more about advanced cameras and make better quality films.
although im only just doing my AS levels i only realised this year i wanted to go into film after starting film studies and i will take up photography after dropping physic.
i just wanted to know are any of you considering met film school or even NYFA which is way out of my price range. i have looked at bournmouth uni too and that is a considered place to go.

Why would you choose to go the met film school and then the NFTS, why not directly to the NFTS? Which, from what I have have gathered has the better rep. Bournemouth has an excellent course, the equipment is fantastic and so are the staff, not just for their academic/industry knowledge. If I were you, I would apply to bournemouth, then consider a masters from the NFTS if that's not enough.
I'm in the same boat as u at the mo. I'm doing media production and in my seacond year now and im looking to go on to uni but to do more of the television production not film. So if anyone has some advice on which unis are best for tv product that would be great.

I know this a really late response.

Thanks.:smile:
Reply 58
cappleby118
I'm in the same boat as u at the mo. I'm doing media production and in my seacond year now and im looking to go on to uni but to do more of the television production not film. So if anyone has some advice on which unis are best for tv product that would be great.

I know this a really late response.

Thanks.:smile:

UCLan!

No, seriously, do you know what it is you want to do? Or what you want out of a course?
Yeah I think know what aera of media I want to go into after uni which is tv producing/ directing. So I need a course that will give me specific training in that. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending