The Student Room Group

How To Get An A/A* In English Lit

Hey everyone.
Ok, i'm currently doing english lit, AQA, specification A for GCSE.

Ok so the thing is, in the course weve studyed nearly all the key poems, as well as some extra. But we havnt focased on the short stories. I think we've studied 3. We have done litterally nothing on comparing them. My teacher said that if we can compare poems we can compare the storys. But i messed up the section on comparing short storys, even though i got an ok grade in the poetry section.

In the poetry section i got a B. Which i consider ok right now. For my final exam i want this raised higher.

I guess i jus tneed your help. Are they any tips, or websites you have to get an A or above in english lit. And please help with the short storys. I dont know how i'm meant to compare them.
Well this might not be much help to you but try this [ just as you would comparing a poem ]

Introduction - A short sentence introducing the poems and re - stating the exam question

Then talk about Story A, talk about its language, context and whatever the question is asking you about.

Make sure you use P.E.E

point.., Evidence ( a quote from the story ) and explanation.
If you do that about 2 - 3 times its enough detail to at least get you an A

Then for story B do the same as above, but say for example you are saying that In story B the character is evil or something, say that this contrasts to story A because the main character is loving etc etc etc, and throw a few points in like that as you talk about story B. ( using P.E.E )

Then do a conclusion, re - state the question again and just sum up the similarities of the stories.

All of that above might not of been any help at all for you, because we have only just started doing the short stories and we have finished the poems [ i think ]. & im only on a grade B myself.

Hope it helped anyway :biggrin: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Thank you.
yeah i really need to learn to use PEE more often.
I think i do when i'm writing.
But then i get it back and its like "evidence?".
Evidence is the quote from the poem/book.
Reply 4
Yeah i know what evidence is, i just get told i use it enough.
When i'm wriitng i try to think that ok i've got a poinbt, so now i need evidence and i try and put it in.
But then whenb i get my test paper back theirs alot of wheres your evidence for whatever you just said.
And when doing it i think i'm using it enough. But i'm not. Lol.
ManUtdGirl
Yeah i know what evidence is, i just get told i use it enough.
When i'm wriitng i try to think that ok i've got a poinbt, so now i need evidence and i try and put it in.
But then whenb i get my test paper back theirs alot of wheres your evidence for whatever you just said.
And when doing it i think i'm using it enough. But i'm not. Lol.

Well basically you need to PQC, Point, Quote and Comment, you may have been given something similar to use.

You make your point, e.g. When.. uses the metaphor, then quote it "..." then make a comment on the effect of it.
Reply 6
xxbeckykinsxx
Well this might not be much help to you but try this [ just as you would comparing a poem ]

Introduction - A short sentence introducing the poems and re - stating the exam question

Then talk about Story A, talk about its language, context and whatever the question is asking you about.

Make sure you use P.E.E

point.., Evidence ( a quote from the story ) and explanation.
If you do that about 2 - 3 times its enough detail to at least get you an A

Then for story B do the same as above, but say for example you are saying that In story B the character is evil or something, say that this contrasts to story A because the main character is loving etc etc etc, and throw a few points in like that as you talk about story B. ( using P.E.E )

Then do a conclusion, re - state the question again and just sum up the similarities of the stories.

All of that above might not of been any help at all for you, because we have only just started doing the short stories and we have finished the poems [ i think ]. & im only on a grade B myself.

Hope it helped anyway :biggrin: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

i agree completely

Latest