Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the ln (0)??

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have always assumed htis to be 1 is thi correct on my calculator its maths error now im really confused??? can anyone help?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's undefined.

Consider y = ln(x)

So, x = e^y

What value of y can you plug in to make x = 0? There is none.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you get ln(x), you are basically asking "what is the value that when you do exp(that number) you get x"

E.g. ln(1), so what power of e, gives 1. Answer 0

So for ln(0), what power of e, gives 0. Answer, there isn't one. Which is why you get an error.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can have ln(0)

Anything to the power of 0 is one, and you can't have the power of something being 0.

ln(1) = 0 as e to the power 0 is 1.
    ln(0) would mean that e to the power of something is 0 which never occurs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    However, the limit of ln x as x approaches zero from the right is negative infinity. Not sure what the limit as you approach from the left is though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hang so say you were doing an intergration with a limit 0 and one of the terms was ln x what would you do??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems unlikely. I guess you hope it's either a mistake or it cancels out magically.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what donkey gave you a question like that to do?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    However, the limit of ln x as x approaches zero from the right is negative infinity. Not sure what the limit as you approach from the left is though.
    There are no values as you approach from the left, because e^x>0 for all real x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but who says we can't extend the domain (and range) of ln? After all, we know e^{i \pi} = -1, so, if we define \ln(-1) = i \pi, we can extend ln to the negative reals: \ln(-x) = i \pi + \ln x. This, of course, means that the limit from the left of ln 0 does not agree with the limit from the right...

But, this may be the wrong way to extend ln to the negatives. Hmm.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, but who says we can't extend the domain (and range) of ln? After all, we know e^{i \pi} = -1, so, if we define \ln(-1) = i \pi, we can extend ln to the negative reals: \ln(-x) = i \pi + \ln x. This, of course, means that the limit from the left of ln 0 does not agree with the limit from the right...

ln isn't well defined then. (For example, you can have ln(-1) = -i.pi too. We then also have ln(-1) + ln(-1) = 2i.pi = ln 1, so ln has become multivalued for all real numbers.) This is the usual problem, though. There are ways of taking 'principal' values.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Then it would agree, although displaced in the imaginary direction by i \pi. In fact, since e^{2ki \pi} = 1 for all k and e^{(2k+1)i \pi} = -1 for all k, then there is an infinite number of parallel solutions (in parallel imaginary planes) to the equation y=lnx. The limit from the right approaches 2kiπ (imaginary) - ∞(real), and from the left it approaches (2k+1)iπ (imaginary) - ∞(real). I suppose you would have to limit your range a little...

That would also mean that, at x=0, there is an infinite number of parallel solutions, each as non-existent as one another, so it is still undefined.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    After reading some articles about the complex logarithm, it seems that there is indeed no way to have a meaningful value for ln 0. If we consider all the solutions to e^w = z and plot (z, w), it forms a pretty spiral sheet around z = 0, where it is discontinuous... Interestingly, if we think of the structure of it that way, it's hardly a surprise that we can arrive at different values for ln -1 by following different "paths" starting from z = 1.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    e^w = z
    Are you limiting z to the x axis? Such that you get a three dimensional trace
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well, the graph of (z, w) has four (real) dimensions, or two complex dimensions. So I guess we would have to limit one of the parameters in order to plot it in three dimensions... perhaps plotting (z, Im w) or (z, |w|) would be good?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    we know e^{i \pi} = -1
    How would I be able to do that on my calculator?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well, the graph of (z, w) has four (real) dimensions, or two complex dimensions. So I guess we would have to limit one of the parameters in order to plot it in three dimensions... perhaps plotting (z, Im w) or (z, |w|) would be good?
    Well we are interested in the graph of e^y=x, then y=lnx, and we are then looking for values of y when x=0. You are sliding up and down the x axis, so x is the one dimenstional variable. y would be the 2-dimensional variable, since we talk about e^(ipi) etc

so in the above case, w is two dimensional and z is one dimensional
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyheart)
    I have always assumed htis to be 1 is thi correct on my calculator its maths error now im really confused??? can anyone help?
    I think you might be getting it confused with this:
    \mathrm{log}_a a = 1

Since \mathrm{log}_e x = \ln{x}

then \ln{e} = 1

BTW, is there anyway to do the e exponential in latex or are we just expected to type in the letter e?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyheart)
    hang so say you were doing an intergration with a limit 0 and one of the terms was ln x what would you do??
    It is possible that you may end up with x^{m} (\ln x)^{n}, which tends to zero as x tends to zero provided that m is positive.

(Original post by edward_wells90)
    How would I be able to do that on my calculator?
    I suspect that you wouldn't. You would use e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpd1989)
    Well we are interested in the graph of e^y=x, then y=lnx, and we are then looking for values of y when x=0. You are sliding up and down the x axis, so x is the one dimenstional variable. y would be the 2-dimensional variable, since we talk about e^(ipi) etc

so in the above case, w is two dimensional and z is one dimensional
    Well, if you plot it that way the spiral structure of the complex logarithm is not obvious - you would simply see a discontinuity at ln 0 where the imaginary part suddenly flips from 0 to ±π.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: October 2, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.