The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Christian Union Mission Weeks

Hey everyone,

It's that time again! It's hard to believe that it's been a year since I posted the last thread about Mission Week. I just wanted to let you guys know that it's once again the time when Lancaster University Christian Union puts on loads of events for everyone to come along to meet new people, eat some free food and find out what Christians believe.

This year though, it's going to be a bit different because there are actually 2 weeks this year, which are Weeks 2 and 3 of this term (next week and the week after) so that the events are more spaced out and there is more time to come to stuff.

So in the first week, we have lunchbars everyday iMonday-Friday in Bowland SCR at 1pm. Lunchbars are a place where you can come along and have a free lunch, and then Amy Orr-Ewing who is our guest speaker for the week will give a talk for about 15-20 mins with an opportunity to ask questions afterwards. Here is the schedule for the lunchbars:

1pm - 2pm Mon-Fri in Bowland SCR:

Monday- Car bombs, crusades and inquisitions: does Christianity cause violence?

Tuesday- Disease, death and despair: Where is God in all the pain?

Wednesday- Boring, biased and bigoted?: Why trust the Bible?

Thursday- Sex, Stella and/or shopping?!: Jesus on the pursuit of happiness

Friday- Liar, lunatic or Lord?: Are Jesus' claims too good to be true?

There is also a football social of the Friday of Week 2- the first week of Mission Week.

As well as the lunchbars in the first week, there will also be an evening event every night of the second week which is a clear talk from John's Gospel, and some of these may have some music and testimonies (a short talk from a Christian explaning how and why they became a Christian), and a coffee bar open afterwards to meet people and ask any questions you might have from the night's talk. The evening events will be held at 7:30 at Christians Alive church building which is near the infirmary.

CU are also some events running especially for International Students. Every afternoon/early evening there will be a meal for International Students and there will also be a short introduction of the night's evening event.

There will also be CU people in the Square advertising these events at 1-2pm in the Square (advertising the lunchbars in the first week and the and giving questionnaires onto what different people believe, so feel free to have a chat with us at any time!

Would be great to see you at our events!
Thanks for your time
Reply 1
Hey, forgot to say also that CU are holding a 'Go Event' on the Thursday of the first week. CU like Lancaster Uni has a colleigate system, and every small college group is hosting an event. They will probably start between 6:00-7:00 and it'll be somewhere on campus (for example, Furness and Grizedale College Groups are meeting in Fylde SCR to do a 'Grill a Christian Event'- an opportunity to quiz a panel of Christians on questions related to the lunchbars, or to Mission Week, or to anything else you want answering). Also a college group could possibly at a college member's house, I don't know the particular details of what each college group.

If anyone would like to know what each college group is doing, feel free to post on here or PM me and I'll try and find out. I'll hopefully be posting something about the Go Events nearer the time anyway

Thanks again for your time, and if anyone has any questions about Mission Weeks again feel free to post on here or send me a PM if you like.
Thanks
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Latest

Trending

Trending