The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Neither.
Does it really matter?!

What's more important is that you like the university and the course.
I looked at both when I was applying.

If I remember rightly, The Times were putting Oxbridge and London unis at the top of their rankings, while the Guardian had a bit of a mix at the top.

Lately though, in my "oh crap, where do I go as; all courses look the same" thing, I've used The Times' subject rankings. (although they were no help, because politics was good in Edinburgh but not in Bristol, and Spanish was good in Bristol but not in Edinburgh).
Reply 4
Didn't look at any. It's more about which do the courses and are within my grade range.
I only looked to check which ones were in my grade range...
But neither really. The Times is more academic/prestige and The Guardian is overall happiness.
Same as the newspapers themselves, really.
Basil Hallward
Does it really matter?!

Of course it matters! If I like Swindon Uni (if that even exists) and I like what's on the course I'm still not gonna go to it if I can get in a uni that's higher up on the rankings.
Reply 7
Basil Hallward
Does it really matter?!

If he was at the uni and was already taking the course he probably wouldnt ask... Id say the Times one anyways:smile:
Reply 8
Neither. Unistats.com
Reply 9
I'd say that The Times. I had exactly the same problem so I compared results with other rankings. They had more in common with The Times rankings rather than The Guardians'. Thus The Times seems to be more reliable.
El Doctoré de Mystéro
Of course it matters! If I like Swindon Uni (if that even exists) and I like what's on the course I'm still not gonna go to it if I can get in a uni that's higher up on the rankings.

How do you know you'll like how the university teaches?? Or how the course is structured??

It's better going to a decent university where the environment is good, you can see yourself getting on with the academic staff, etc. than deciding on attending a top university where the staff are too up their own a*s and they teach in a style you find difficult to comprehend.

Just because the university in question is producing graduates with firsts doesn't mean that you'll go there and be guaranteed a first. The way in which an individual learns is more important to me than results.
Reply 11
i used the Times.
Guardian is rubbish ! :p:
The Times's one is far better, though let it be known that The Guardian is the best newspaper. :biggrin:

But honestly, it's up to *you*. :smile:
Epitomessence
The Times's one is far better, though let it be known that The Guardian is the best newspaper. :biggrin:

But honestly, it's up to *you*. :smile:

:ditto:
Whichever one that puts the university that I like most close to the top.

:smile:
Reply 15
they both suck
Stevo the Victorious
How do you know you'll like how the university teaches?? Or how the course is structured??

It's better going to a decent university where the environment is good, you can see yourself getting on with the academic staff, etc. than deciding on attending a top university where the staff are too up their own a*s and they teach in a style you find difficult to comprehend.

Just because the university in question is producing graduates with firsts doesn't mean that you'll go there and be guaranteed a first. The way in which an individual learns is more important to me than results.

How would you have any idea whether a uni teaches "in a style you find difficult to comprehend" before attending there? If a uni is high up in the rankings for teaching then you'd expect the lecturers not to be us their own arse, and teach in a way that everyone will comprehend if they put in the effort.

Of course you won't be guaranteed a first if you go to a good uni, but you'll be more likely to.

Also, employers read the uni ranking tables whether you do or not.

Are you seriously saying you didn't/won't look at the tables when deciding what uni you go to?
Reply 17
The Guardian ones are absolutely worthless, don't bother with them.

Use The Times ones, but go and visit the unis that interest you as well.
I looked at where my Uni ranked on the list once I applied - it was the only university to offer my course in Scotland bar a derivative, mechanical engineering-based course, and is given preferential treatment by BAE Systems. I don't want to be paying course fees for a high-ranking university in England when I can do it for 'free' (to a certain extent) in Scotland with a university in a city I love. Easy picking there.

El Doctoré de Mystéro
How would you have any idea whether a uni teaches "in a style you find difficult to comprehend" before attending there?

On open days universities offer mini-lectures to show you the style of teaching. Very informative when choosing the right university. :cool:
Stevo the Victorious
I looked at where my Uni ranked on the list once I applied - it was the only university to offer my course in Scotland bar a derivative, mechanical engineering-based course, and is given preferential treatment by BAE Systems. I don't want to be paying course fees for a high-ranking university in England when I can do it for 'free' (to a certain extent) in Scotland with a university in a city I love. Easy picking there.

On open days universities offer mini-lectures to show you the style of teaching. Very informative when choosing the right university. :cool:

Fair play, obviously money and what uni does your course are also a factor. I'm not saying you only use the tables, I just think if you're taking maths in England for example it's silly to ignore a source of information as comprehensive as these tables when deciding your uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending